If You Had to Choose...

Which Would You Rather  

178 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Let Drum Corps die than let woodwinds in
    • Have Drum Corps continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sheer curiosity, and I know the choices are awful, but that's the point; neither choice is 'good'. so which is worse?

Drum & BUGLE corps is already dead so why not let woodwinds in to DCI ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pitiful. Deny future generations any of the positives of previous drum corps experience just to preserve the perfect past as the one and only possibility.

HH

When I saw the topic I started thinking about what is the same from BITD and today.

Came down to experience of working together

and the name "Drum & Bugle Corps"

PS - I didn't vote cuz I like the option "Change the name and start over from scratch".....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

When I saw the topic I started thinking about what is the same from BITD and today.

Came down to experience of working together

and the name "Drum & Bugle Corps"

PS - I didn't vote cuz I like the option "Change the name and start over from scratch".....

IDK about starting from scratch, but at the pt. where Drum & BUGLE Corps becomes marching band,

well then its Elite Marching Band. They already have a system for SHOW BANDS set up in Europe, S. America and parts of Asia. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I've already come to terms with the fact that though D&BC is unique kids can take the same lessons away from another activity.

:smile:

While I would hate to see woodwinds added to the mix, I am shocked that the majority of voters (as of this time) would be so selfish as to say they would prefer drum corps to die rather than add in woodwinds. Nice to know that your hurt feelings about changes in drum corps are more important than the thousands of kids who would be denied the experience due to your selfishness.

Pitiful. Deny future generations any of the positives of previous drum corps experience just to preserve the perfect past as the one and only possibility.

HH

It'll be there as a full-fledged marching band, so enjoy.

Don't expect everyone to share that point-of-view, though.

IDK about starting from scratch

Should have described what I meant. :smile: Was just thinking of the current corps and powers that be getting together and saying: "We're no longer what D&BC was in the past so time to change the name. And as lot as we're changing the name let's rewrite all the rules since we're not worrying about being tied to ye olde D&BC.

I've already come to terms with the fact that though D&BC is unique kids can take the same lessons away from another activity.

And that's big point lot of people miss when defending todays corps. Also supporting D&BC isn't the only way to support kids.

I would let it exist because, as someone previously pointed out, if Woodwinds are

allowed, most Corps will probably ditch them or reduce them after a year or two because

of how much of a pain and expense they will be to maintain. They might still show up in the

Pit occaisionally, but I don't think they will last as a major part of the ensemble on the field.

And if they do stay widely used, I will accept that it is no longer Drum Corps, but still show

up and see if the Corps can still blow me away, even if it's in a different way.

But I am also a long-term thinker and an optomist. I feel deep down that eventually, trends in the activity might

shift back to something more traditional and sustainable, so with that hope always in mind,

I will continue to support my Corps and the activity.

This is sheer curiosity, and I know the choices are awful, but that's the point; neither choice is 'good'. so which is worse?

Why is " none of the above " not an option ? There are certainly other options out there besides these two, simply horrible, options to choose from.

It's like asking do you favor A) providing all illegal immigrants free health insurance for themselves and family at taxpayors expense for life or B) have all illegal immigrants and their families die ?

Well, if these are the only 2 bad options, then I guess that since I don't want to see all illegal immigrants die, then I'll have to go with option A..... give all illegal immigrants and their families free health care for life at taxpayors expense. It certainly beats out" death" as the only other bad option here among the 2.

But are these 2 options REALLY the only viable options out there ? No, of course not.

Edited by BRASSO