If You Had to Choose...

Which Would You Rather  

178 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Let Drum Corps die than let woodwinds in
    • Have Drum Corps continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist.

Which cost more to use, maintain, store, and transport on a summer tour : 20 Tubas ?,.. or 10 Saxophones and 10 Flutes ?

Hence the line "once in DCI camp........." :smile:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the experiences are so alike.....

Especially for the bands that don't compete....

Note that I said '...and compete'. Of course, most MB do not compete, but my statement was comparing the 4000 or so bands that DO compete today to the 400+ corps that did compete back then.

If you're debating the definition of the experience, then you're grasping at straws. You know it, I know it. We all know what is meant by the "drum corps experience" and it's not found in high school band.

Comparing the touring schedules of today to fall competitive MB you are right. Comparing the old style local corps circuits to those competitive bands and IMO it's a different story. It's VERY similar to the local circuits of back in the day, only there are thousands more bands than the hundreds of old corps.

Comparing the touring schedules of today to fall competitive MB you are right. Comparing the old style local corps circuits to those competitive bands and IMO it's a different story. It's VERY similar to the local circuits of back in the day, only there are thousands more bands than the hundreds of old corps.

we're talking now Mike, not then.

Voted Keep Corps, Change Traditions.

Well Traditionally, there were Fifes (spell?). They are woodwinds. Last time I checked, the activity evolved as opposed to died off.

IMO, there is only so much you can do with woodwinds before the score ends up being docked.

We tend to lose sight of a simple concept: survival of the fittest. As a general rule of thumb, things don't change unless there is an inherent need. Personally, I don't really see a need for WW's outside of solo work on the sideline, but it's not my decision.

The name of the activity is Drum and Bugle Corps (short: Drum Corps). A major company name is Drum Corps International (short: DCI). Therefore, if WWs are implemented, the only names that have to change are the individual corps that choose to utilize them.

As much of a modernist as I may be, I'm not going to pay to march in an organization that has me doing basics side-by-side with woodwind players.

We tend to lose sight of a simple concept: survival of the fittest. As a general rule of thumb, things don't change unless there is an inherent need. Personally, I don't really see a need for WW's outside of solo work on the sideline, but it's not my decision.

Keep seeing survival of the fittest line as why it's a good thing that so many corps are gone. Does this mean DCI would be in better shape if a few more corps went under? Not attacking your post, just wanted to bring that idea up.

Sometimes things change because of need and sometimes things change because they are "run by committe" which can really #### things up.

Comparing the touring schedules of today to fall competitive MB you are right. Comparing the old style local corps circuits to those competitive bands and IMO it's a different story.

And comparing drum corps to summer marching band, rather than just the scholastic activity....well, that's where the whole "experience" thing falls apart. Summer marching bands offered the whole range of comparable "experiences" as drum corps, with the only difference being band vs. corps.

I saw in the new DCW that Hop again used "we're losing fans" as his rationale about adding woodwinds. Doesn't he ever stop to think many of the recent changes drove them away, and adding woodwinds will drive even more away?