Gershwin

A general question for those of us that grew up in the 60's.....

Who was the first Drum Corps to play Gershwin?......any Gershwin, I remember the first time I heard Gershwin's

"Concerto in F" by the Skyliners, I believe it was an old Fleetwood recording of 1960 "Fresh Air Fanfare"....

But it must go back further...help me out anyone?....Peashey?, Andy?....

:blink:

I've got a Geneva Appleknockers album "Jazz on the Spot" which features Gershwin's "Strike Up the Band" and "Crazy Rhythm" which was their interpretation of "I Got Rhythm and Fascinatin Rhythm". The album is dated 1963 and features soloists Ken "Ace" Petersen on Soprano and Don Phipps on French Horn and upright String Bass (yes, that is not a typo). The Appleknockers were innovators who also did tunes by Ellington and Offenbach. Also on the album were killer arrangements of "Melancholy Rhapsody", "Jezebel", and their closing theme song "Apple Blossom Time". All great arrangments by Jack Bullock.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Geneva Appleknockers album "Jazz on the Spot" which features Gershwin's "Strike Up the Band" and "Crazy Rhythm" which was their interpretation of "I Got Rhythm and Fascinatin Rhythm". The album is dated 1963 and features soloists Ken "Ace" Petersen on Soprano and Don Phipps on French Horn and upright String Bass (yes, that is not a typo). The Appleknockers were innovators who also did tunes by Ellington and Offenbach. Also on the album were killer arrangements of "Melancholy Rhapsody", "Jezebel", and their closing theme song "Apple Blossom Time". All great arrangments by Jack Bullock.

I'm gonna assume those would have been played on G-D bugles?......with a String Bass?.......works for me, I'd like to hear it....

I'm gonna assume those would have been played on G-D bugles?......with a String Bass?.......works for me, I'd like to hear it....

"String Bass":

Yep. The olde Appleknockers made a "Concert" appearance at the 1064 "Evening With the Corps at Carnagie Hall" show (Run by DCN) and featured the bass instrument. The recording has been made into a CD by the "Fleetwood Sounds" people if anyone is interested. :blink:

The olde Carnagie Hall shows were noted for "Unusual" happenings. In 1962 the Interstesmen started their show with a volley of rifle fire (Blanks), :blink: the Caballeros had Don Angelica show up in a bullfighters cape, :blink: the Skyliners featured "Pepe" Nataro and Tommy Martin performing their "I & E" solos, and the St Kevin Emerald Knights had their CYO choir sing "Somebody Knows" at their shows midpoint. :blink:

It was also at Carnagie Hall in 1962 that the Garfield Cadets showcased the brand new contra bass bugle. :blink:

Great memories.

Elphaba

I'm gonna assume those would have been played on G-D bugles?......with a String Bass?

FYI, a bass has both G and D strings.

FYI, a bass has both G and D strings.

Another early instance: Our Lady of Loretto Knights played "Fascinatin' Rhythm" in 1961. It's on the famous "Brass By Night" album.

Another early instance: Our Lady of Loretto Knights played "Fascinatin' Rhythm" in 1961. It's on the famous "Brass By Night" album.

How many corps have played "Of Thee I Sing" since the early fifties? That's a Gershin tune.

I remember the "Appleknockers" quite well as I started Drum Corps' in the late 1950's. In retrospect ........this may well have been one of the Corps' that was well ahead of its time and really underappreciated. Just sayin.........(oh ya........probably met Steve Cooley way back when and didn't even know it) :blink:

How many corps have played "Of Thee I Sing" since the early fifties? That's a Gershin tune.

"Of Thee I Sing":

The New York Kingsmen (Bronx NY) junior corps used "Of Thee I Sing" in 1966. Bob Bunce wrote it for them. Chicago Royal Airs used it in 1968, arranged by the late Truman Crawford.

The Musical that the number came from won a Pulitzer Prize. :blink:

Elphaba