The REAL(ish) Return of Star

is the alumni corps going to wear the magenta tops with the white star on them? or are they doing the cream from 93?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it will be a uniform we have not seen from Star. So I predict "None of the Above."

Here's one trend I think I can credit Star. It was the constant changing of uniforms. I am not talking about subtle changes that ever corps did back then, but totally different styles. They had 5 totally different uniforms in their 9 years. I can see them wearing something triangular that leads to a smaller star (not in the center).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it will be a uniform we have not seen from Star. So I predict "None of the Above."

Here's one trend I think I can credit Star. It was the constant changing of uniforms. I am not talking about subtle changes that ever corps did back then, but totally different styles. They had 5 totally different uniforms in their 9 years. I can see them wearing something triangular that leads to a smaller star (not in the center).

Actually, I only see three full on changes of the jacket. 85-88 was the magenta/Star top, the red Brit inspired tunics from 89-92 (which DID go through a lot of trim changes), and then the cream tops in 93.

Headgear wise....Aussies 85, shakos (with occasional trim changes) 86-89, Roman helmets 90-91, back to traditional shakos 92, and the white shakos in 93 (don't know if those were new or if they just recovered the existing inventory).

Adding the purple sashes in 90-91 might've LOOKED like a new top, but the jacket was the same as 89...they just removed most of the trim that fit the Brit show.

Actually, I only see three full on changes of the jacket. 85-88 was the magenta/Star top, the red Brit inspired tunics from 89-92 (which DID go through a lot of trim changes), and then the cream tops in 93.

Headgear wise....Aussies 85, shakos (with occasional trim changes) 86-89, Roman helmets 90-91, back to traditional shakos 92, and the white shakos in 93 (don't know if those were new or if they just recovered the existing inventory).

Adding the purple sashes in 90-91 might've LOOKED like a new top, but the jacket was the same as 89...they just removed most of the trim that fit the Brit show.

That's what I remember about the tops.

Remember their pants were black in '85-'86, White '87-'92, and Cream in '93. I would guess that the pants changed in '89 with the addition of the strip and stayed up to the '92 season.

They certainly knew how to accessorize and make people think they were getting new uniforms more than they actually did.

We hope that everyone will enjoy the product that we present on Friday night of finals week this year.

To answer the equipment question in regards to the hornline we will be playing Yamaha B-flat instruments.

We are excited to be working towards the performance and I will tell you that we are approaching the preparation with the same attitude we did when we were a competitive DCI Drum and Bugle Corps. The difference is we are much older and we are not going to be together on the road for 2 1/2 months.

I do think, and maybe being a bit biased, that you are going to enjoy what you witness.

One observation I have is in regards to how quickly things came together for us in 2004...Without having to beat the technique into rookies heads, we were able to get up to speed very quickly...like riding a bike...All I needed was just a little bit of time to get my chops in shape and I was golden. I remember the look on the faces of some OSU bandsmen as they watched us warm-up before the Indy Parade...mouths open, wondering who the heck these old timers in pink were. We're very much looking forward to playing for you guys and are committed to living up to the expectations...personally, I had to make sure of two things before I commited 1) Do I have the funds? and 2) Is it going to kick arse? When some of my fellow alums convinced me of 2, I was on board. There's no way I would be able to do it if I thought for a second it wouldn't live up to our standards.

I look forward to trying to put the "WTF, no-way these fat balding old timers are doing this" look on people's faces like we did with the OSU band in '04.

Gulp, I think I need to go practice...later.

Think about Hollywood stars, or truly spectacular athletes that have been taken from us in their prime. Decades later, that's the reaction you see to Star: they were very good (very quickly), and they had so much future promise, and then they were gone. Hence, the fascination.

No more; no less. And your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Karen

The name Len Bias suddenly popped into my head.

personally I am thrilled to see them. I dont expect them to look or sound like they did #### near 20 years ago or move like it either....they cant simply because with 100+ brass, you can't do that type of drill if you arent doing it every day.

However, like with SCV, 27th, Madison, Cavies, it will be a great way to remember a friend who left before we wanted them to. Just hear "Star" One more time with more players than their mini corps has is enough for me.

that anyone is upset because it isn't 93 to the most minute detail all over again is sadly missing what this special event is all about

OK I'm going to die for saying this...and before I do I'd like to say I am a HUGE Beatles fan...

...but does this make Star the Beatles of the drum corps world?

:smile:

Nope...not enough longevity on our part...I guess you could say "what could have been" or "what did we miss out on?"...man, we're going to have to pull back the reigns on this hype machine or I'm affraid the obligatory backlash hate will be in full effect by this summer lol.

Nope...not enough longevity on our part...I guess you could say "what could have been" or "what did we miss out on?"...man, we're going to have to pull back the reigns on this hype machine or I'm affraid the obligatory backlash hate will be in full effect by this summer lol.

Welcome back to the world of drum corps Star...now with added DCP hype/hate!

Personally, I don't WANT to see a repeat of the '93 show, drill-or music-wise. They have plenty of other recognizable repertoire to draw from.

Even if I respected your opinion, I'd still say the Emperor was stark naked that year. No amount of Kool-Aid could ever make me buy into that show as anything other than a pretentious, self-indulgent, mess.

"Pretentious" and "self indulgent" how?

Mike