How About Tweaking the Activity Name?

I've spent a lot of time reading old newspaper articles about drum corps. Pre-WW2 mostly, all the way back to the late 19th century. One thing that is striking about these articles is that drum and bugle corps is never, ever confused with marching band. Why? There are a few reasons, one being that people were simply more familiar with brass music back then. But another reason is apparent: There is no way in #### anyone could confuse a group of kids, or half-drunken WW1 veterans, playing shrill, valveless bugles and marching up and down a field could be confused with a band.

But then valves were added, one at a time. Then came other voices, "bugles" which were transparent modifications of traditional band instruments, and which allowed corps to play charts used by college bands. Field shows developed from the traditional focus on parade drill to include the types of fantastic formations (like the Trooper's sunburst) used by college bands. Soon enough, the football field was the default performance venue for drum corps shows . . . how much more bando can you get? Color guards evolved to use moves that would never be used by a military drill team decades before the modern bogeyman of "dance" reared its ugly head.

In short, the definition of drum corps was stretched long before 2000. Everyone posting in this thread marched in a version of drum corps that was vastly different from the "original" (whatever that was), and which was heavily influenced by band.

The vast majority of marching bands in the WW1 years were also comprised mostly of parade units, many of which also possessed the " half drunken WW1` vets " marching in band units with also inferior ( to todays standards ) brass instruments and snare drums, bass drums, flags. Additionally, these marching bands just after WW1 ulilized significant aspects of their style that were inspired from military units in terms of flags, marching techniques, uniforms ( in many cases ) marching cadence, use of large military baton by marching drum major of the band, and dozens of other aspects that came dirctly from military inspired roots. Scratch the surface of most marching bands in this country and their roots are tied to promoting patriotism, Sousa marches, and other military songs being the norm, not the exception, and so forth. The beginning heritage of the american marching band in this country is sometimes not understood, as it has not been properly studied from it's historical framework, and what these parade marching bands were really all about. But when we compare eras of drum and bugle corps it is also helpful to look at the parade and field marching bands of that same era in the same context of that era... not today's era. The typical parade marching band in this country in 1920 was ALSO a far cry from the polished accomplished unit with first class instrumentation, multiplicity of styles, and producing superior excellance like we see today as well.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the activity Fred?

OK with me! But, I believe what the original poster intended was to generate ideas IF the activity's leadership decided to actually re-name itself. I didn't get the impression the OP, and others, were demanding same.

For the rest of my life, I'll call the activity "drum corps." I'm content with that, but truly, the activity is now so much more in actual presentation. Is that a problem given the current name? You decide.

In analyzing this further, I have determined the absolute BEST re-branded name is ALREADY taken. That would be . . .. .

Yea!

Youth Education in the Arts 'kinda covers all of what this activity is now, and all of what it will ever be. Don't 'ya think?

:worthy:

Since the hornlines no longer play bugles, wouldn't it make more sense to call it Drum and Brass Corps now? I think this is a more accurate description of what the activity has become. (Unless you prefer to use "bugle" in a nonliteral sense.)

And the horn lines are no longer made up of sopranos and contras. They're called trumpets and tubas. As much as it hurts to say it -- that's what they are.

In this sense -- in my opinion -- the activity changed in 2000.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the DCA groups that actually use bugles. Those are Drum and Bugle Corps.

Anyone else see it the same way? (Puts on flame suit...)

While I'm never a fan of beating the dead horse, as has been stated before DCI would be crazy at this point to re brand themselves.

Plus, while you seemingly insinuate that using bugles stopped in 2000, DCI hadn't used real bugles for a long time before 2000. And, as I've said before, in some tradionalists eyes/mind, drum corps ceased to be drum corps when they marched asymmetrical drill, grounded the pit, did away with the honor guard, stopped being associated with the military, etc.

Out of curiosity, does DCA not allow any key brass? If they do allow non-G brass horns (IMO, if they have any valves they're not true bugles, since G trumpets have existed for a long time), anyone know the ratio of G instruments to any key instruments?

While I'm never a fan of beating the dead horse, as has been stated before DCI would be crazy at this point to re brand themselves.

Plus, while you seemingly insinuate that using bugles stopped in 2000, DCI hadn't used real bugles for a long time before 2000. And, as I've said before, in some tradionalists eyes/mind, drum corps ceased to be drum corps when they marched asymmetrical drill, grounded the pit, did away with the honor guard, stopped being associated with the military, etc.

Out of curiosity, does DCA not allow any key brass? If they do allow non-G brass horns (IMO, if they have any valves they're not true bugles, since G trumpets have existed for a long time), anyone know the ratio of G instruments to any key instruments?

Yes, DCA allows any key brass, and most of the field corps use Bb/F. The Renegades and Empire Statesmen are exceptions in the Open division who use G horns, as do the Kilties, I think.

Google DCI and tell me there won't be confusion...

Drum Corps International is a better marketing name than DCI anything.

I've been there. Donaldson Company, Inc is first and then DCI.org. Also there's some gulfing equipment for sale with DCI on ebay.

I was just pulling a name out of my hat. I'm not suggesting "I" be the tweaker. I only threw out one possible name. :worthy:

They should make sure it sounds like something that is new and improved. Something like Fred...

Edited by jjeffeory

The cows are out of the barn now , so it's too late...... but maybe it might have been a good idea for DCI to have adopted 2 divisions. One division for " The Classic " approach and the other division for " The New Wave " approach.

Let the " New Wave " division of competing Corps bring in marchers, staff, instrumentation, music, etc that was as progressive as they wanted. Let the " Classic " division remain a bit more traditional in terms of music, marching, instumentation,etc.

I recognize the obstacles in such a 2 division style approach. Financially it might be undoable. Judging captions might be very problematic, as it would require overhaul to make it work within the 2 divisions in a satisfying manner. At the end of the day, it probably would be literally impossible to effectively implement.

But conceptually anyway, I like the idea.

I suggested "Drum Corps Classic" and "Drum Corps Free Style" about 5 years ago. I believe that the addition of woodwinds is inevitable, and then there will be no distinction between bands and drum corps, whether we like it or not.

Well "on the field" is a key component of what he was saying. But I think BozzlyB's definition of marching band is the prescence of brass, woodwinds AND percussion performing a marching show on a football field. I think that's a pretty reasonable definition.

The " football field " portion has never been a required component for what makes up a " marching band ".

Many marching bands, both now and in the past, march in parades only.

a " football field " does not define a " marching band ".

Not now. Not ever.

Edited by BRASSO

I've spent a lot of time reading old newspaper articles about drum corps. Pre-WW2 mostly, all the way back to the late 19th century. One thing that is striking about these articles is that drum and bugle corps is never, ever confused with marching band. Why? There are a few reasons, one being that people were simply more familiar with brass music back then. But another reason is apparent: There is no way in #### anyone could confuse a group of kids, or half-drunken WW1 veterans, playing shrill, valveless bugles and marching up and down a field could be confused with a band.

Ugh....what a pathetic and inaccurate stereotype. If this is what you've gotten from your historical research, you'd better keep reading.

I have a copy of a drum corps publication from the early 1930s with articles written by many of the top drum corps staffers of the day. It was a real eye-opener to me to learn just how much forethought and attention to detail was involved in how these people went about perfecting their craft. For some corps, their quest for excellence extended beyond the on-the-field product in to every aspect of corps operations. Commonwealth Edison's quartermaster went on for a couple of pages about how the corps built shipping containers custom-made for transporting uniforms and instruments by train, keeping everything inspection-ready in the process.

I can't vouch for the sobriety of every corps out there (nor every band), but the more successful competitors were the ones that demonstrated the kind of military discipline and musical skill that clearly runs counter to your "half-drunken" stereotype.

Now, for your assertion....

Frankly, corps and bands have been confused with one another all through time. Just because you don't see that confusion in the articles you read covering AL/VFW Nationals doesn't mean it wasn't happening elsewhere.

The reason corps and band weren't confused with one another at AL/VFW Nationals is because the AL and VFW established separate divisions for corps and band, and organized contests for each. Those contests could be at different venues and/or different times, so it was clear whether you were attending the drum corps contest or the band contest.