The Best Win vs. another corps winning

Correction: 1992's clear favorite was the Velvet Knights. When they pulled out the alligator---er, shark for Finals night and it ate the opera diva, we couldn't hear the last few seconds of the show. Incredible crowd reaction...I don't think that was topped until 2008 (PR).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thought,

How crappy would you feel if you were the corps that got a 'pity' title? How satisfying could that championship ever be, if you won it knowing that there was clearly a better corps out there that night?

I don't think 2008 Regiment members care one bit.

Have you been abandoned on Three Mile Island ?

And just came back ?

In case you have, let me be the first to bring you up to speed here Swine :

Half these Corps you listed were NOT the national crowd's favorite that year.

In the last 25 years, most of the titlists were NOT the crowd's favorite.

And here's some new news for you Swine... '93 Star was not even close to being the crowd's favorite in '93, nor was '93 Cadets either that year.

You are correct Sir! 93 Phantom was by Far My Favorite that year. I loved the magic they Made with Fire :smile:

Not a Valid comeback. That was NOT a pity title! :smile:

I'd prefer for the crowds favorite to win.

We can count on one hand during the last 25 years when the crowd's favorite that year wound up winning it all.

It' so rare, I'd opt for that.

I'm just not into being wowed by sterile technical brilliance.

I'm wowed by entertaining shows.... warts and all. If I want perfection, I'd go to a Itzhak Perlman performance.

It's Drum Corps by amateurs for heavens sake. Not the Vienna Orchestra or some such.

Considering that DCI is usually in the midwest or east it would be quite unfair to make the crowd favorite the winner. Please remember that when DCI was in Pasadena BD was the crowd favorite. I guess your idea is to get rid of the judging in general. Why compete at all, right?

I think that the best corps should win. However, I think that judging, especially the music ensemble, brass, and music effect sheets, needs overhauled. The scoring emphasis is now too much toward visual, in my opinion. Yet, when a corps "turns on" musically, I don't think that it is necessarily fully rewarded. Thus, if the visual judging community unanimously agrees that one corps' visual program is superior to all others, it makes it very difficult for a competitor to make that up in the musical captions. In my opinion, there have been many "forgettable" shows that won DCI with astronomical scores, yet some 5th place performances that I will remember for 50 years...............

GB

Why don't we just get rid of the guards altogether, right? The whole point to drum corps is that it is music and motion. Perhaps corps should just do stand stills.

A few Visual judges were the only ones who called sizeable spreads and this was the bulk of the margin....music judging was very inconsistent.......

Crown won on both Music Effect sheets in semis, only to lose (?) on both in finals, with a highly questionable perfect music effect score given to BD by one judge...........Crown won on all four music ensemble judge sheets, although I do believe the margin should have been higher.........I agree with the percussion numbers for both corps.....

Flame away, but in terms of "effect", I think far more people will remember the "5th place" musical performance of 2009 Vanguard five years from now then the 2009 Blue Devils (although they may remember the chairs....)

GB

BD had a better performance at Finals than they did in semi's. Crown got their butt's kicked because they were second best. I loved SCV, but how many times have they done App. Spring and visually they just weren't quite there yet.

Fair enough. They looked pretty happy that night.