Dinosaurs (LOL) who go to shows today

As far as going to DCI shows. I generally don't anymore. When I do go, it's because I partially sponsored some kid in a group that's going to be at that show. And it's probably the only time I'll ever get to meet them in person. Maybe if there were shows within 100 miles of me, or that happened on the weekends and not on weekdays. Or if there was just more than 3 opportunities to see a show within 300 miles of me, I'd go to more shows. But generally by the time you add up the gas, tickets, and time, it's cheaper to buy the DVDs/CDs. Or to sponsor a kid for an equivalent amount of cash. It means more to them anyway.

I did make an effort to return to the genre by seeing a few local DCI shows in 2002. I lived in a different location at that time. I went to one show that had last years champions and they were champions again that year. And a corps that was consistently top 6 back when I marched. Most of the rest of the lineup I didn't recognize by uniform or name. Anyway I think that the demand of todays shows detracts from todays shows. Look at me I'm an olympic sprinter, as opposed to look at me I'm a visual artist. Look at me do something almost impossible, oops I tripped hehehehe. As opposed to look at me do flawless execution, while making it look easy. Apples and oranges IMO. At that one show in question the former top 6 corps didn't even make finals that year. But still managed to put out at least twice the volume of the champion. And the champions show left me going, I can't hear them, let me count them. 1, 2, 3, .... 11, 12, .... will you guys stop moving already. 1, 2, 3, ......, 17, 18, 19, ..... scat, what, scatter drill, come on already. I give up, I'll just count them when they troop the stands. What they're not even trooping the stands? And half of that section is hauling props off the field. One guy is carrying three euphs off the field and is that baritone too, where's the players? I guess I'll just check DCP to see how many of whatevers they're actually marching.

Not to say that what's out there isn't good. But there's so little of a relationship to that which I am / was familiar with that it's more frustrating than entertaining to watch in person.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the amazingly intricate show design. I agree with one of the early posters in this thread about the dynamic thematics. Also, the level of proficiency is downright insane! I love watching virtuoso performances in ANY capacity, (even the words best accordian players), because they are that good at what they do. That having been said, I often miss the raw, emotionally charged performances of years gone by. I also love watching smaller corps perform because I find it intriguing how they craft their shows in order to do more with less. It saddens me that the activity is trending away from what I know and love, however I can still appreciate excellent musicianship and fascinating marching, as well as depth of show design.

Still, give me my 80's-90's style drum corps and I'll be happier than a pig in slop.

I like the amazingly intricate show design. I agree with one of the early posters in this thread about the dynamic thematics. Also, the level of proficiency is downright insane! I love watching virtuoso performances in ANY capacity, (even the words best accordian players), because they are that good at what they do. That having been said, I often miss the raw, emotionally charged performances of years gone by. I also love watching smaller corps perform because I find it intriguing how they craft their shows in order to do more with less. It saddens me that the activity is trending away from what I know and love, however I can still appreciate excellent musicianship and fascinating marching, as well as depth of show design.

Still, give me my 80's-90's style drum corps and I'll be happier than a pig in slop.

Me too :tongue:

Are any OC shows shown via Fan Network, don't care if live or past shows. Might be interested in checking them out but busy enough with my Alumni group, full time job, elderly fataher and in-laws, etc, etc. And a lot would depend if I have to buy access to everything in FN when I only want a smaller piece. (Kinda like having to pay for all the movie channels on cable when you only want basic.)

Yes, there are Open Class shows on the Fan Network.

If you are a subscriber, you login and then go to the On The Field tab. For example, you can stream all of last year's Open Class Quarterfinals from Michigan City.

Also, when Open Class corps are in World Class shows, they usually post those, too. Revolution is available under last year's San Antonio show.

If you are not a subscriber, I recommend it. You get a lot of content that you can stream on your computer going all the way back to the 70's. (And, if you want to purchase a download - either audio only or full show - of a few favorite shows, subscribers get a reduced price.)

Are any OC shows shown via Fan Network, don't care if live or past shows. Might be interested in checking them out but busy enough with my Alumni group, full time job, elderly fataher and in-laws, etc, etc. And a lot would depend if I have to buy access to everything in FN when I only want a smaller piece. (Kinda like having to pay for all the movie channels on cable when you only want basic.)

Last week I was asked why I didn't want to go to Allentown and the theater broadcast. Explained pretty much like my last post and the DC savvy person I talked to about Allentown understood. The other one (doesn't go to the theater but her friend does) gave me WTF look. :tongue:

Jim, you're invited to San Antonio in the sunroom when I host it this summer

Jim, you're invited to San Antonio in the sunroom when I host it this summer

Not serving Strohs, Pearl or Alamo (King of the Hill reference) are you? (And you caught me at Rochester with a Bud :tongue: )

Bob - how about a link to Fan Network so I can check prices and what's available.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Not serving Strohs, Pearl or Alamo (King of the Hill reference) are you? (And you caught me at Rochester with a Bud :tongue: )

Bob - how about a link to Fan Network so I can check prices and what's available.

Jim go to dci.org and you will see where to click for the fan network.

and no, I'm not serving Strohs, but if Dad comes he may have some

tailgating.

Since I want to see some great drumming, it's the parking lot for me, then maybe a few shows.