Dinosaurs (LOL) who go to shows today

I just don't find DCI entertaining enough to spend the time and money to go.

So for the dino/old timers/pick a term, what do you enjoy about todays corps? And how has what you enjoy changed? And (just for the Hades of it) do you still enjoy what went on in your day as much as you did then?

Got the idea from another thread so why not.....

I enjoy very little about todays Corps. Very little.

I still attend any "Local" show and try to attend one major show like San Antonio or Atlanta, just to see first hand what's going on. I usually sit there shaking my head for most of the show. I'm NOT entertained, except for brief moments. The product on the field is just NOT my thing any longer. Sorry. Used to be a big Cavaliers fan, but have enjoyed Carolina Crown the most for the last few years.

Don't like the "Story telling" themed shows, don't like the dancing and prancing Guards, don't like the sound of the "Too small" Bass Drums that are cranked up to sound like Tenors, don't like all the ridiculous props, don't like the "Wretched excess" pits on the sidelines, don't like vocal narration, don't like all the hyper high school/college band geek types running all over the place and running their mouths while the corps are performing, I don't like the B flat brass and number one, I don't like the totally unrecognizable music.

I'll still go to one or two shows every summer though, just for the experience. Will probably try Atlanta this year. Been wanting to see the Georgia Aquarium and eat at the Varsity and Vortex. DCI will be just an after thought though and will be until there is a return to a lot more retro old school things that we all enjoyed.

Why can't we have a blend of old and new? If I want story telling, I'll go see a movie and if I want to see dancing and prancing, I'll go to see a Ballet. NOT interested in seeing any of that on a freaking football field. :thumbup: ...........

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy all drum corps of all eras. Change is a quality of life. At 63 I am not the same as I was at 16. The basics of the activity are still the same teaching kids music, discipline, team work, working for personal and group goals and most of all having fun and being rock stars for 10/12 minutes a performance.

Dave Correia

RI Royal Lancers (Jr) 1962-1969 G-D SV/Slide straight Baritone, G-D SV/slide Bass Baritone, G-D SV/R Whaley Royce Contra

RI Matadors 1969-1987, '99, '04,G/F SV/R Olds Contra, '07 Brass Ensemble 3V Dynasty 4/4 G Contra

RI Generations 1995-2000 2V G/F Dynasty 5/4 Contra

Light Brigade Ltd. 2008-RIP 3V Kanstul 5/4 G Contra

MA Legends of Drum Corps 2008- ???? 3V Kanstul 5/4 G Contra

Enjoy all drum corps of all eras. Change is a quality of life. At 63 I am not the same as I was at 16. The basics of the activity are still the same teaching kids music, discipline, team work, working for personal and group goals and most of all having fun and being rock stars for 10/12 minutes a performance.

Dave Correia

RI Royal Lancers (Jr) 1962-1969 G-D SV/Slide straight Baritone, G-D SV/slide Bass Baritone, G-D SV/R Whaley Royce Contra

RI Matadors 1969-1987, '99, '04,G/F SV/R Olds Contra, '07 Brass Ensemble 3V Dynasty 4/4 G Contra

RI Generations 1995-2000 2V G/F Dynasty 5/4 Contra

Light Brigade Ltd. 2008-RIP 3V Kanstul 5/4 G Contra

MA Legends of Drum Corps 2008- ???? 3V Kanstul 5/4 G Contra

Very well said. :thumbup:

I still attend any "Local" show and try to attend one major show like San Antonio or Atlanta, just to see first hand what's going on. I usually sit there shaking my head for most of the show. I'm NOT entertained, except for brief moments. The product on the field is just NOT my thing any longer. Sorry. Used to be a big Cavaliers fan, but have enjoyed Carolina Crown the most for the last few years.

Don't like the "Story telling" themed shows, don't like the dancing and prancing Guards, don't like the sound of the "Too small" Bass Drums that are cranked up to sound like Tenors, don't like all the ridiculous props, don't like the "Wretched excess" pits on the sidelines, don't like vocal narration, don't like all the hyper high school/college band geek types running all over the place and running their mouths while the corps are performing, I don't like the B flat brass and number one, I don't like the totally unrecognizable music.

I'll still go to one or two shows every summer though, just for the experience. Will probably try Atlanta this year. Been wanting to see the Georgia Aquarium and eat at the Varsity and Vortex. DCI will be just an after thought though and will be until there is a return to a lot more retro old school things that we all enjoyed.

Why can't we have a blend of old and new? If I want story telling, I'll go see a movie and if I want to see dancing and prancing, I'll go to see a Ballet. NOT interested in seeing any of that on a freaking football field. :thumbup: ...........

THEN WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN A MODERN DCI FORUM?!?!?!?!

This is really simple, folks: if you like what's on the field continue to consume (spend money on) it. If you don't, stop consuming (spending money on) it. If you're not a consumer, fan, etc. then by all means find a better way to spend your free time. I'm not a fan of bird watching, and wouldn't even fathom frequenting a bird watching forum to complain about my lack of interest. I really don't get why you would come in here to complain (again) about something you obviously don't like. Love "old school" drum corps? There's an awesome historical forum when you can reminisce about whatever era you believe to be "real" drum corps. :lol:

This is really simple, folks: if you like what's on the field continue to consume (spend money on) it. If you don't, stop consuming (spending money on) it. If you're not a consumer, fan, etc. then by all means find a better way to spend your free time. I'm not a fan of bird watching, and wouldn't even fathom frequenting a bird watching forum to complain about my lack of interest. I really don't get why you would come in here to complain (again) about something you obviously don't like. Love "old school" drum corps? There's an awesome historical forum when you can reminisce about whatever era you believe to be "real" drum corps. :thumbup:

Apparently reading comprehension is not being taught in schools today.

The OP asked the dinosaurs who go to shows to chime in. The poster you're trying to berate fits the description, including going to current shows.

If you are not a "dinosaur" WHY THE #### ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD? There are so many other threads here that kiss the behind of modern drum corps and call it ice cream. Why are YOU in the ONE thread that doesn't seem to agree with your POV?

Sucks to have your own viewpoint thrown back at you, does it not? :lol:

Even though you say you don't like modern drum corps and all that it entales I have to say I'm still glad you still go to shows! Someone in your position could easily just give up on drum corps but you obviously still have some kind of attatchment to it or can see beyond your dislikes to the true meaning of drum corps which hasn't changed. I mean, atleast you're still open to the activity enough to go to a show and that you're going at the very least to support the members. So, how can anyone get mad at you?

The OP asked the dinosaurs who go to shows to chime in. The poster you're trying to berate fits the description, including going to current shows.

If you are not a "dinosaur" WHY THE #### ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD? There are so many other threads here that kiss the behind of modern drum corps and call it ice cream. Why are YOU in the ONE thread that doesn't seem to agree with your POV?

Sucks to have your own viewpoint thrown back at you, does it not? :thumbup:

Maybe because the OP also asked this in the thread title..."What do you enjoy/get out of todays shows"

Most of the 'dinos' who have posted point out the things they like, as the OP asked. LSU provided a litany of what he does NOT like, which is basically everything.

This is really simple, folks: if you like what's on the field continue to consume (spend money on) it. If you don't, stop consuming (spending money on) it. If you're not a consumer, fan, etc. then by all means find a better way to spend your free time. I'm not a fan of bird watching, and wouldn't even fathom frequenting a bird watching forum to complain about my lack of interest. I really don't get why you would come in here to complain (again) about something you obviously don't like. Love "old school" drum corps? There's an awesome historical forum when you can reminisce about whatever era you believe to be "real" drum corps. :thumbup:

I don't think I have ever met an individual, as much as you post on this subject, who cannot stand someone else having a viewpoint other than their own expressed. :lol:

Quite honestly, it's nice to hear both sides rather than sticking your head in the sand, or surround yourself with "ditto" heads and wonder why you are losing your bread and butter fan base. Terrible way to go through life...... IMHO.

Sucks to have your own viewpoint thrown back at you, does it not? :thumbup:

I'd agree that there was a reading comprehension failure here. The OP's thread question in this thread title is very clear. Additionally, The audience ( " Dinosaurs " ) the OP's question is directed toward is likewise as clear as can be. I'm not as sure however that we can place the blame for this at the door of today's schools. Then again, this is certainly a plausable explanation for such failures as well. It could be laziness on the part of this poster " mello dude " too. Who knows. But good point.

Edited by BRASSO