Stagnation prediction results

crown was almost there in 2009

No they weren't. Sorry to sound negative but the truth was there really was no competition between BD and Crown last year. The scores didn't lie.

Yes, Crown got closer in 2009 but their visual weakness is BD's top strength.

I do believe, however, that Crown has become as good musically as they can be (and stay consistent throughout). Now the question for 2010 is: can they march as good as they sound?

That alone will determine whether or not we have a new champion in 2010.

Edited by bccadet09

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they weren't. Sorry to sound negative but the truth was there really was no competition between BD and Crown last year. The scores didn't lie.

Yes, Crown got closer in 2009 but their visual weakness is BD's top strength.

I do believe, however, that Crown has become as good musically as they can be (and stay consistent throughout). Now the question for 2010 is: can they march as good as they sound?

That alone will determine whether or not we have a new champion in 2010.

Not having this quality didn't seem to stop BD in '09. :thumbup:

ok my apologies. i meant the year star won the title. i mistyped.

crown will bring their a game this year. as i said it before. there will be a new champion crowned in 2010

In the heyday (1946-1971) of the VFW and AL, there were 10 different champions:

St. Vinnies

HNC (Garfield)

Osmond

Sac

Cavies

Kilts

RA

Troopers

SCV

St. Lucy's

That's a new champion every 2-3 years.

DCI had 4 champions in the first 5 years, then only 4 more in the next 33.

Just some food for thought.

On July 20, 2005 Tsar Nick proposed the following:

While I don't think it's exactly a divine revelation that new blood is entering the top 3 and shaking things up, I do find it interesting that for all the talk recently about reverting to "the good old days" people have forgotten about the dangers of stagnation in all aspects of the drum corps world.

So I agree with Mellodramatic. This topic should live again, given NEW information since 2005.

This article was written in July 2005. One month later, in August 2005, The Cadets won it all. In 2006, The Cavaliers. In 2007, the Blue Devils. In 2008, in a shocking upset from the Quarters, and Semi's, Phantom beat out the Blue Devils by less than one tenth to capture the Title. Things returned to " normal " last year however when the Blue Devils went undefeated in capturing the 2009 Title. The Blue Devils have not lost a competition since that upset by Phantom on Finals Night in August, 2008.

Since this article was written in July 2005, the Titles, with one upset exception. has still rested with the Elite 3 Corps of Blue Devils, Cadets, or Cavaliers. It would take another incredible upset indeed for some Corps in 2010 to win it all that is not named " The Cadevaliers "

Edited by BRASSO

In the heyday (1946-1971) of the VFW and AL, there were 10 different champions:

St. Vinnies

HNC (Garfield)

Osmond

Sac

Cavies

Kilts

RA

Troopers

SCV

St. Lucy's

That's a new champion every 2-3 years.

DCI had 4 champions in the first 5 years, then only 4 more in the next 33.

Just some food for thought.

Also, it was not that unusual for a Corps to finish in the 4th- 5th spot at VFW National Championships and then finish 1st ( and vice versa ) a few weeks later at AL National Championships beating Corps that beat them a few weeks earlier.

To draw the analogy, it would be like Bluecoats, Boston, SCV, etc coming in 5th at Allentown, then a few weeks later beating BD, Cavs, Cadets, Phantom etc for the DCI Title.

Imagine how that would get the adrenaline going if that happened today.

Edited by BRASSO

Also, it was not that unusual for a Corps to finish in the 4th- 5th spot at VFW National Championships and then finish 1st ( and vice versa ) a few weeks later at AL National Championships beating Corps that beat them a few weeks earlier.

To draw the analogy, it would be like Bluecoats, Boston, SCV, etc coming in 5th at Allentown, then a few weeks later beating BD, Cavs, Cadets, Phantom etc for the DCI Title.

Imagine how that would get the adrenaline going if that happened today.

I took a look at VFW's from 64-70...of the 28 spots from 1st to 4th over that 7 years, there were 7 corps that appeared in those spots...

Corps Times in the top 4

Cavies 7

Troopers 6

Kilties 4

BAC 4

RA 3

Des Plaines 3

BS 1

4 corps covered 21 of 28 spots.

The Cavies were 1st or 2nd 5 times...Troopers 3 times in the top 2...Kilties were 1st three times...11 of the 14 top two spots were filled by three corps.

Look at the top 3....

Cavies 7

Troopers 5

Kilties 4

So of 21 top 3 spots...the same three corps filled 16 of them.

This at a time when there were 400+ corps. What does that say? IMO it suggests there were not many more truly top corps in that era than there are today.

Look at the Cavies...they were in the top three every year between 56 and 70.

this year will be the year of some big changes i feel in DCI rankings. Cavies, Blue Devils, and Cadets will not pan out so well.

Crown and SCV will battle for the top 2 spots. Phantom will regain its elite status.

Madison will push for top 10. Spirit will battle with Troopers, Colts, The Academy, Pacific Crest and Teal Sound all season

11 - 17 will be the closest we have ever seen in DCI history.

There is nothing to substantiate any of this. I would not count BD, Cavaliers, and Cadets out just yet.

On July 20, 2005 Tsar Nick proposed the following:

While I don't think it's exactly a divine revelation that new blood is entering the top 3 and shaking things up, I do find it interesting that for all the talk recently about reverting to "the good old days" people have forgotten about the dangers of stagnation in all aspects of the drum corps world.

So I agree with Mellodramatic. This topic should live again, given NEW information since 2005.

the biggest concern is, to some, new blood shows up, then doesnt stick, leaving the same names...until a plethora of new blood is there, Nick has some points that are very valid.

1998...Gmen..wow...new blood...havent been back since 1999

Boston 2000 to the top 5...and since...6th at best.

i was speaking of the fact that crown and bluecoats keep moving up trying to get in to the top spot. crown was almost there in 2009 and will be in pursuit of that championship ring in 2010.

Who isn't trying to get the top spot? Also, Bluecoats have not been higher than fourth. That is far from the top spot.

Crown was great last year, but BD was clearly the champion. Everyone wants to anoint Crown the winner in 2010, but so far they have 1 caption award (which they deserved) and 0 DCI championships. Let's save the coronation until at least the season is underway.