The Roof Will Be Open

Okay... I didn't read the whole thread.

I'm happy to see that they are trying this out. I just don't think World Championships week is the best time to do this. I do believe that it is not right to open or close the roof in the middle of the show. Yeah, some have a point when they say outdoors the conditions are not the same... but the acoustics are the same outdoors. Yeah air temperature, humidity.. all that good stuff does effect the sound somewhat.. but opening a roof is a drastic change.

I would bet the cost to use LOS is pretty expensive, and this might be the reason DCI can't do it. I would also bet that a lot of decisions DCI makes is either done exclusively for financial reasons, or at least as a compromise because of financial reasons (i.e. perhaps LOS isn't the ideal stadium due to listening environment reasons, but it was too good of a financial benefit to not take the deal).

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I didn't say that right. I read every fussing post, but only reinforced my opinion that it's impossible to please everyone.

I'm mostly curious if there's thought-out reason for doing the opening the way it's planned. I suspect there is, but also suspect the reason wouldn't be good enough for many of the folks with "issues."

honestly...my hunch for the plan in place is because of the cinecast.

have 8 corps on, take the break, open the roof, and then do the live feed. Why? because not only does everyone there get to hear it, but so do the many fans in the theater

I agree with you, and I will be curious to see the final outcome. From a marketing stand point, I am now seriously thinking about going to the theater broadcast to hear how it sounds (though I would be more interested to hear an A/B of groups w/roof vs. groups w/out roof). I'll be curious to hear opinions from those in the stands regarding their perception of the difference. But I'll also wonder if this will be a mental thing for some, kind of like a placebo: "I hate the roof, and in my mind no roof = better." I wonder if the difference will be substantial either way, and/or if people perceive it as a big difference based on a mental preconceived bias.

I'll post from section 138 just for you!

Looking at the floor plan here, there are several meeting rooms close to the event hall that could be used for warming up/tuning. We see on DCP all the time instructors and performers complaining about the temperature change affecting the tuning, so my question was directed to those involved with DCI. If this is as important as it seems, then why doesn't DCI utilize these spaces. If they could also arrange the space to provide for spectator access, then that would mean more people inside LOS, possibly spending more money on souvies and food.* And yes, I realize it would #### off many fans who like to watch corps sections warm-up outdoors.

*To me, this is also a good reason to have performance order determined by random draw and announced maybe one hour before showtime. If BD, Crown, Cadets, etc. were possibly the first performing corps, then the audience would show up, stay for the entire show, and spend money during their hot-dog corps. I wonder how much revenue would increase, both for the corps and for the sponsors.

honestly...if it was truly random and big names were spread out...maybe it would. but my hunch is people would stay outside to see stuff in the lot for some big names, knowing they have Friday and Saturday

If they did that, and denied public access, then maybe more people would watch the earlier performing corps :tongue: ...after all, the lot for warm ups is at least a mile away anyway.

Donny

So what happened...someone over at DCI had a freakin' epiphany??? Gee, 'ya think opening the roof will improve the echo/reverb? DUH......

With all due respect to the OP and the topic of the thread, I'd like to interject something into this forum for just a moment. I hope everyone who frequents this joint will indulge me for just a moment.

You know... when I signed on to assist the DCI marketing effort, I think I had realistic expectations regarding the quantity and quality of criticism that would be heading "our" way. Although I must admit that it does wear you down reading venomous posts on a regular basis like the one referenced above, the passion behind the commentary is expected, respected and is absolutely considered.

I've complained when a restaurant didn't meet my expectations. I've never dropped a note in the suggestion box to praise a good meal, however. I've returned items to a merchant that didn't deliver as advertised, but I've seldom written manufacturers or stores to thank them when something was great. I get the fact that drum corps is an activity all about the pursuit of perfection and is all about criticism. For the most part, the team of young, hard-working people at Drum Corps International have been conditioned to have thick skin, to try to respectfully work for those who support the collective, and to continually strive to improve the operation to better serve a number of demanding constituencies.

Since getting involved with "The Activity," I have often been critical and outspoken of some of the strategic and tactical decisions that have been made... and although I never had the opportunity to march a season in a drum corps, I continue to be pretty passionate about it. I got involved as a volunteer for the Jersey Surf to hopefully "make a difference..." never with any intention of becoming as engaged as I am now. Even though I see the bigger picture now as someone who works in the dual roles of corps director and marketing consultant, I still don't agree with every decision that is made. I do respect the process however, and I do respect the thoughtful discussion that takes place behind the scenes by many individuals who also care deeply about the organizations which comprise DCI.

– Business decisions are not made in a vacuum.

– People generally do what they truly believe is right.

– Just because people think differently doesn't mean they are wrong.

– If DCI has been guilty of anything over the years it's not stupidity on the part of its leadership... but perhaps a lack of sensitivity to the need of providing more of the back-story behind some of the decision-making rationale. We're trying to change that.

I know that fan forums such as Drum Corps Planet are a valuable opportunity to learn what's on the mind of some really passionate people... all of whom have some connection to the activity we share. Although I'm sure the VOReason felt better after making the post above, I think that the time has come for all of those who like to lob these sorts of acerbic and divisive Molotov cocktails at DCI to consider becoming a part of the solution. I offer an opportunity for fans of drum corps to use their passion to effective positive change, rather than perpetuate an environment where the forum has devolved into nothing more than a place for many to observe or take part in "recreational negativism."

We're working on a "Fan Roundtable Tour" over the next few months, to engage fans and to provide an opportunity for them to speak face-to-face with DCI management and members of the board of directors in an informal setting. If we can work out all of the logistical details, we'll be sure to widely publicize the opportunity and the locations throughout the country where we hope to get this done.

For many shows in many markets, ticket sales are ahead of projections... we have an opportunity to set tour attendance records this season, and we know that only through the engagement of new folks, the retention of current fans and the recovery of those who haven't been around for the past few seasons will we have the opportunity to achieve those goals. We know it depends on people being fired up about drum corps... and sharing the love of the game with others if we're going to be able to move the needle.

Although perhaps naive, my personal goal is to try to harness some of the remarkable energy and passion that spills forth in these pages every day... and focus it to help the drum corps art form to not merely survive, but to thrive long into the future. There are many others who are striving toward a renaissance, where new corps can start and new people can share in the great things offered through their involvement. I'm sure there will still be plenty to debate... and I hope there will be continuing debate... as that will indicate that we still have something worth debating.

Bob: Will this conflict with the Boo Roundtable Tour you scheduled for local Taco Bells? :tongue:

Seriously; it's a great idea and I'd love to help publicize it when it takes off.

Edited by Michael Boo