The Roof Will Be Open

And I will try to be there as well.

p.s., I hope that my comments were not taken as insulting, derogatory, or acerbic. I have tried to give constructive criticism (with perhaps a little bit of humor injected.)

I do think that DCI has often acted with short-sightedness and naïvety. They have made a series of decisions that have alienated much of its fan, member, and supporter base. Maybe DCI is finally realizing that this is a bad idea. That is a good thing. No institution can permanently push itself away from its long-term financial supporters, and expect to survive. Many of those folks will never come to a "forum" to discuss their problems - or even come to a website like this one, to register their complaints. They'll just walk away, and never come back.

The DCI management need to realize this, and do something, to a) bring back the disaffected members of the drum corps community that they have lost over the past decades, and b) prevent other members of the community from turning their backs on the activity. And if they can provide a more fan-friendly venue, for the activity's most important event, then that is Step 1.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not really concerned about it to the extent that he is, I do agree that Fiedler has a point. It would be easy to sidestep this issue, however big or small it may be, by just leaving the roof open all week. I don't know how much is really accomplished by doing this halfway, especially considering the difference that will be made by having progressively larger crowds each day. Attendance alone will play around with the sound, so Quarterfinals doesn't strike me as a great control setting.

This was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the announcement. Quaterfinals isn't exactly the best control setting for this, mostly due to attendance (as you mentioned), which plays a large role in the building's acoustics.

Well said, Bob.

Sign me up for the "Fan Roundtable Tour" . . .that's precisely the kind of stuff that will help eradicate the "us vs. them" mentality on either side of the table.

me too. I suggest kellys in Wildwood Bob :tongue:

And with the above statement Mr Jacobs has essentially ended the game of midlessly criticizing the "man". Part of the solution and not just amplifying (pun intended) the problem? Let's hope the curmudgeons of the Planet put the actions where their mouths have been.

Well done. Now just when will you announce the 2010 Jersey Surf program Bob?

With all due respect to the OP and the topic of the thread, I'd like to interject something into this forum for just a moment. I hope everyone who frequents this joint will indulge me for just a moment.

You know... when I signed on to assist the DCI marketing effort, I think I had realistic expectations regarding the quantity and quality of criticism that would be heading "our" way. Although I must admit that it does wear you down reading venomous posts on a regular basis like the one referenced above, the passion behind the commentary is expected, respected and is absolutely considered.

I've complained when a restaurant didn't meet my expectations. I've never dropped a note in the suggestion box to praise a good meal, however. I've returned items to a merchant that didn't deliver as advertised, but I've seldom written manufacturers or stores to thank them when something was great. I get the fact that drum corps is an activity all about the pursuit of perfection and is all about criticism. For the most part, the team of young, hard-working people at Drum Corps International have been conditioned to have thick skin, to try to respectfully work for those who support the collective, and to continually strive to improve the operation to better serve a number of demanding constituencies.

Since getting involved with "The Activity," I have often been critical and outspoken of some of the strategic and tactical decisions that have been made... and although I never had the opportunity to march a season in a drum corps, I continue to be pretty passionate about it. I got involved as a volunteer for the Jersey Surf to hopefully "make a difference..." never with any intention of becoming as engaged as I am now. Even though I see the bigger picture now as someone who works in the dual roles of corps director and marketing consultant, I still don't agree with every decision that is made. I do respect the process however, and I do respect the thoughtful discussion that takes place behind the scenes by many individuals who also care deeply about the organizations which comprise DCI.

– Business decisions are not made in a vacuum.

– People generally do what they truly believe is right.

– Just because people think differently doesn't mean they are wrong.

– If DCI has been guilty of anything over the years it's not stupidity on the part of its leadership... but perhaps a lack of sensitivity to the need of providing more of the back-story behind some of the decision-making rationale. We're trying to change that.

I know that fan forums such as Drum Corps Planet are a valuable opportunity to learn what's on the mind of some really passionate people... all of whom have some connection to the activity we share. Although I'm sure the VOReason felt better after making the post above, I think that the time has come for all of those who like to lob these sorts of acerbic and divisive Molotov cocktails at DCI to consider becoming a part of the solution. I offer an opportunity for fans of drum corps to use their passion to effective positive change, rather than perpetuate an environment where the forum has devolved into nothing more than a place for many to observe or take part in "recreational negativism."

We're working on a "Fan Roundtable Tour" over the next few months, to engage fans and to provide an opportunity for them to speak face-to-face with DCI management and members of the board of directors in an informal setting. If we can work out all of the logistical details, we'll be sure to widely publicize the opportunity and the locations throughout the country where we hope to get this done.

For many shows in many markets, ticket sales are ahead of projections... we have an opportunity to set tour attendance records this season, and we know that only through the engagement of new folks, the retention of current fans and the recovery of those who haven't been around for the past few seasons will we have the opportunity to achieve those goals. We know it depends on people being fired up about drum corps... and sharing the love of the game with others if we're going to be able to move the needle.

Although perhaps naive, my personal goal is to try to harness some of the remarkable energy and passion that spills forth in these pages every day... and focus it to help the drum corps art form to not merely survive, but to thrive long into the future. There are many others who are striving toward a renaissance, where new corps can start and new people can share in the great things offered through their involvement. I'm sure there will still be plenty to debate... and I hope there will be continuing debate... as that will indicate that we still have something worth debating.

And with the above statement Mr Jacobs has essentially ended the game of midlessly criticizing the "man". Part of the solution and not just amplifying (pun intended) the problem? Let's hope the curmudgeons of the Planet put the actions where their mouths have been.

Well done. Now just when will you announce the 2010 Jersey Surf program Bob?

What, you want people to start up a DCP Baffling Brigade and travel to LOS to fix it? Statements like this may make the person posting them feel better about themselves, but what the hell do they mean in the practical terms to which they refer? Exactly what actions are you thinking of? To me, it's every bit as annoying when people on here and dogpile any amount of criticism as being "whining" or "curmudgeonry" when, sometimes, there are situations that do deserve a little critical attention, IMO.

Stop whining

What, you want people to start up a DCP Baffling Brigade and travel to LOS to fix it? Statements like this may make the person posting them feel better about themselves, but what the hell do they mean in the practical terms to which they refer? Exactly what actions are you thinking of? To me, it's every bit as annoying when people on here and dogpile any amount of criticism as being "whining" or "curmudgeonry" when, sometimes, there are situations that do deserve a little critical attention, IMO.

Funny. But, seriously, what's your answer to the question?

IMO, your question was answered in Bob Jacobs' statement: focus [your energy and passion] to help the drum corps art form to not merely survive, but to thrive long into the future. Become part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Edited by Peel Paint

Sorry I have no interest in engaging you in a rhetorical debate on this forum.

On a more positive note, it appears Bob Jacobs just announced the Surf show. If notthing else, he reacts promptly!

Funny. But, seriously, what's your answer to the question?

IMO, your question was answered in Bob Jacobs' statement: focus [your energy and passion] to help the drum corps art form to not merely survive, but to thrive long into the future. Become part of the solution, not part of the problem.

LOL, that does nothing to answer the specific issue at hand. It's poster-speak.

Edited by year1buick