Looking Back a bit

Good post, sixtysomething!

Today's DCA corps have other characteristics generally not found in earlier times. That would include member dues and additional payments for the privilege of riding a corps bus to events. Also includes hotel room charges for championships. In my marching days (late sixties) I didn't face any of this. Truth be told, I received random funds from the corps TO ME, to help pay for my travel to practice. Those funds were never requested, were never formal in any way, but did happen.

In today's economy, and rate of unemployment, if the "marching DCA" experience requires even $1000 (or less) many good people will choose not to participate. That's reality, and I don't have a solution to fix it.

If a 401K/ IRA can be considered an economic indicator, Then, as my investments are performing well at present, The economy seems to be rebounding, if ever so slightly. That said, new housing starts are down, but most purchases seem to be of existing housing. (Jeff Ream would be the expert here)

So maybe we are seeing the beginnings of a comeback.

What I DO know is I don't have the disposable income I had two years ago. That alone is reason to LIMIT my involvement. It's VERY tough right now. Everyone needs to be careful with expenditures and this goes for corps as well.

Financial concerns are COMPLETELY relevant reasons for fielding or not fielding a competative corps

DCI OR DCA. You simply can't spend what you don't have. Were "we" must improve is HOW we spend the funds we DO have. And I am POSITIVE that the directors of the DCA corps are doing just so. It is good business practice and common sense, in the current economy.

So Lee, I would agree with you on one point and disagree on another.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I just don't check into DCP, DCI, DCA or DCW very often these days.

For the record, I think people are interpreting my comments about the economy as somehow implying that a bad economy is "not" a reason some people can't march. Sorry ... Please understand, I have a ton of friends out of work, and I completely understand that ugly reality.

However, I do not think it is an acceptable excuse for a DCA corps to go under. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

if people aren't marching or do not want to march, it will happen. and if the economy is why they aren't marching, it is valid.

I can't speak to whether the situation used to be different, but out here in the Midwest, we pay for the privilege of being in a parade.

Robert

Yeah, I always forget that getting paid for parades is a Northeast US thing. :tongue: IMO, it's a good part of the reason why there are so many Alumni-type corps in the NE.

There's one thing I've noted in many of the above posts - multiple comments about how a poor economy is affecting members' ability to march.

And while that may be a legitimate reason generically, I haven't seen any hard numbers to substantiate that claim.

For example, have either of the corps not going out this year actually polled members to find out why they're not coming back this year - sort of like an exit interview?

We can sit here an speculate until the cows come home, but until we actually know why Emiliano Fungarelli isn't marching this year, we can't even attempt to come up with responses or answers.

Perhaps DCA could come up with an ad hoc committee that would be willing to conduct a mail or phone survey of people leaving their corps this year - not limiting it to just to the two corps in question. A stringently enforced anonymity in such a survey may just disclose some very interesting answers.

There's one thing I've noted in many of the above posts - multiple comments about how a poor economy is affecting members' ability to march.

And while that may be a legitimate reason generically, I haven't seen any hard numbers to substantiate that claim.

For example, have either of the corps not going out this year actually polled members to find out why they're not coming back this year - sort of like an exit interview?

We can sit here an speculate until the cows come home, but until we actually know why Emiliano Fungarelli isn't marching this year, we can't even attempt to come up with responses or answers.

Perhaps DCA could come up with an ad hoc committee that would be willing to conduct a mail or phone survey of people leaving their corps this year - not limiting it to just to the two corps in question. A stringently enforced anonymity in such a survey may just disclose some very interesting answers.

Andy, In MY case.. The economy, my forced early retirement/outsourcing.. whatever you choose to call it, is EXACTLY why I have been forced to limit my involvement. But I can only speak for myself.

You are correct: We can't speculate without hard facts. But we can try to understand the problem and

that's a start!

Andy, In MY case.. The economy, my forced early retirement/outsourcing.. whatever you choose to call it, is EXACTLY why I have been forced to limit my involvement. But I can only speak for myself.

You are correct: We can't speculate without hard facts. But we can try to understand the problem and

that's a start!

You're making my point, Steve, and I thank you for it. We now know that there's one person who's not marching for a particular reason - your economic situation.

But if we were able to obtain fifty or a hundred honest "exit interviews," we'd know better where to concentrate our efforts in resolving the problem.

If we found, for example, that a high percentage of people just can't (physically) perform any longer, then we'd have two options open to us - simplify programs or recruit younger people. If the highest percentage of "retirements" is due to economic factors, on the other hand, then we need not look at program demands. If the issue is, as someone pointed out in an earlier post, a toxic staff member, then the corps should know that and address it.

And your answer is exactly what I'm looking for - an attempt to understand the problem and a start in dealing with it.

You're making my point, Steve, and I thank you for it. We now know that there's one person who's not marching for a particular reason - your economic situation.

But if we were able to obtain fifty or a hundred honest "exit interviews," we'd know better where to concentrate our efforts in resolving the problem.

If we found, for example, that a high percentage of people just can't (physically) perform any longer, then we'd have two options open to us - simplify programs or recruit younger people. If the highest percentage of "retirements" is due to economic factors, on the other hand, then we need not look at program demands. If the issue is, as someone pointed out in an earlier post, a toxic staff member, then the corps should know that and address it.

And your answer is exactly what I'm looking for - an attempt to understand the problem and a start in dealing with it.

I do agree with you. Perhaps a market survey (of sorts) or an exit interview will give us a clear idea

where to focus or re-focus our recruitment stratagies. I hesitate somewhat, in second guessing any corps decision not to "field". They have the facts at hand to make such a decision.. we do not.

And if my finances were as they were two years ago, my corps knows I would be there.

With a 9% unemployment rate, I am sure there are others in my situation, who are forced to curtail or limit their involvement.

we are on the same page Andy! :)

Ding ding ding.

And here's a good idea.

When you do ask your members for input on the season and they tell you things you don't want to hear, don't just wite them off as a disgruntled member. Sometimes people are just trying to help you be better even if they don't plan on staying on.

It's always a drag to be able say "I told you so..." even though you were right all along.

Andy has a great idea. I do know of 4 people who have specifically said they weren't marching because of economic factors, and 2 said burnout...1 just started a family.

<--- not marching because of economic factors

As of Tuesday afternoon those reasons changed but at the same time too late for this season. Now I can enjoy some me time and actually be able to afford it. :tongue: