A Brainstorm Idea for DCA

Just to be clear on the Freelancers, the drum line has ended the season a little early and can't go to Dayton this year but will be back. The Alumni is still going strong and the mini corps is planning to come back to DCA again this season.

That version is quite different from one thread currently in the DCI forum(sorry, don't know how to do the linking thing), which pretty much said they are folding and the mini corps is a maybe.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is slightly off the beaten path of Lee's original suggestion, but the 35 member-rule has to be hurting some group also. Why not lower that as has been mentioned here in the path. If the mini-corps maximum is 21 (I think), then why not have Class A start at 22 members minimum?

I do realize that while some open class corps have had successful returns to Class A in what was perceived as down years number-wise (Skyliners and Grenadiers come to mind), there's probably some pride involved in corps like Rochester Crusaders or Brigadiers dropping to Class A in a given year. I love Class A, I'm not saying it's an inferior product, but Brigadiers have been a large corps since their return in 1992, maybe that wouldn't be the best choice for them in a down year membership-wise.

Granted, this has nothing to do with the business idea, but I do think there is definitely some merit to the original suggestion as well as some of the following additions. I'm just bummed that Prelims will be a few minutes shorter this year.

This is slightly off the beaten path of Lee's original suggestion, but the 35 member-rule has to be hurting some group also. Why not lower that as has been mentioned here in the path. If the mini-corps maximum is 21 (I think), then why not have Class A start at 22 members minimum?

I do realize that while some open class corps have had successful returns to Class A in what was perceived as down years number-wise (Skyliners and Grenadiers come to mind), there's probably some pride involved in corps like Rochester Crusaders or Brigadiers dropping to Class A in a given year. I love Class A, I'm not saying it's an inferior product, but Brigadiers have been a large corps since their return in 1992, maybe that wouldn't be the best choice for them in a down year membership-wise.

Granted, this has nothing to do with the business idea, but I do think there is definitely some merit to the original suggestion as well as some of the following additions. I'm just bummed that Prelims will be a few minutes shorter this year.

truely,.............had the bar been lower, I don't think it would have made a difference in either case,...............

I agree with Lee. DCA needs to have fresh eyes to look at the overall product.

Business pros; branding experts, people who know how to market to certain target demos, etc. Right now it's a bunch of the same people trying come up with new ideas, which almost always end up being the same ideas over and over again.

DCA should be different from DCI or HS bands... but it seems like it's all one big thing. Same teachers, same judges, same product... it's a lot tougher to recruit a 25 year old to play music that they probably secretly hated when their band directors made them play it when they were 14.

I agree with this comment. I truly believe thar recruitment has a lot to do with the type of shows the corps aligns with. Corps that have music that is current and identifiable will always be crowd pleasers. An excellent examble is Empire Statesmen. Proof of this is at every DCA finals Empire manages to get standing ovations. I know I'll be labeled as "ancient," which age-wise I am! Tom D'Bomb is correct, a large part of recruitment amounts to the selection of music and style.

I agree with this comment. I truly believe thar recruitment has a lot to do with the type of shows the corps aligns with. Corps that have music that is current and identifiable will always be crowd pleasers. An excellent examble is Empire Statesmen. Proof of this is at every DCA finals Empire manages to get standing ovations. I know I'll be labeled as "ancient," which age-wise I am! Tom D'Bomb is correct, a large part of recruitment amounts to the selection of music and style.

a question then, as this may seem as a knock to Empire, but isn't.

Bucs and Hurcs haven't been exactly doing big band shows the last few years, yet they do not seem to be begging for bodies. So I'm not going to agree that the type of show is always a reason for low bodies.

God knows our show in 96 wasn't exactly toe tapping to many, but we had a full corps.

I can assure you that the 35 rule had NOTHING to do with the demise of Cru or Brigs. Why would anyone consider a step backward?

Lee's suggestions have a great deal of merit.

I think keeping retention up is a problem that has to be addressed by every corps in different ways. For some, it may be staff and administration chemistry, others may be musical achievement/selection. Some may be a lack of performances. People vacate for different reasons. It's when you have multiple people leaving for the same reason is where you need to start looking. So your fix will be different for different corps. If it's an image thing, put someone on the front of the organization that shows you aren't what people think you are. If it's monies, find new sources of income. If it's just a general lack of bodies due to attrition, go out and actively find them. It still requires a core nucleus of people who are there year in and year out, but you don't want that group to not change whatsoever. Ideas get stagnant, and there becomes a social stigma of elitism because they have been there forever and a day.

I apologize for the wall of text, but I'm in class and breaking it down would be difficult while taking notes.

a question then, as this may seem as a knock to Empire, but isn't.

Bucs and Hurcs haven't been exactly doing big band shows the last few years, yet they do not seem to be begging for bodies. So I'm not going to agree that the type of show is always a reason for low bodies.

God knows our show in 96 wasn't exactly toe tapping to many, but we had a full corps.

Jeff - you certainly have a point... we almost have take the top5 out of the equation. Teams that "have a shot" will always do well recruiting. It's just scary how quickly the Brigs dropped out. I'm (kinda) sure it wasn't all about money. If they had 45 horns, they'd be coming out.

DCA is all about "following the leader," and watching teams with 22 horns trying be like the Bucs was painful - and certainly NOT worth 50 bucks for a finals ticket. (NOT the Bucs fault)

And guys, this problem is bigger than just one or two corps - we should be thinking of entire circuits of all-age corps flourishing around the country (South, MidWest, West Coast).

But, "The Activity" is turning into an over-analyzed weekly seminar of judges and staff members trying to please each other. Don't look now, but you're running out of people who dig your product.

Not bad Tom...

What an interesting thread....

Couple things I noticed:

- Someone mentioned that the top (I think the word used was "member") corps should help the smaller corps. LOVE THE IDEA, to bad I think its a pipe dream. If a corps recruits someone they are going to use that person and asking someone to go somewhere else would just not go over well. Would any corps (especially class A) love to have all of brigs or cru's members come to them SURE but alas I think most will either take the year off to get some money (since we ALL seem to be hurting) or they'll stick around the organization to play in mini corps etc. Those that do go somewhere will be few and will probably try to stay in open class.

- There should be a board of people helping corps stay afloat (paraphrased). This is a great idea, but we should also remember each corps goes through an evaluation by DCA. Should this occur every season? (does it? I am unsure personally) I think a better idea is to form this bored of people NOT INVOLVED IN ANY CORPS but have drum corps experience. DCA should evaluate corps, and then based on the evaluation help the corps out with money that DCA raises itself. Pipe dream? (yea I think so) but I think this would be better then the almost, "sink or float on your own" idea thats in place now.

- My money idea, if the right ways to bring money into DCA were in place it could work. I sadly can not think of any way to help with recruitment. Lets face it, I cant think of a corps that doesnt have a spot that they'd like filled. "I'd like one more contra bass", or "I'd like one more snare player" is so common these days its almost sad. Its not even confined to class A anymore, where I personally believe each member matters FAR more the open.