HOLY. JOHN. MACKEY. New piece!

this thread is much drama about not much

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the worst bit of silence that I have ever heard! I mean, there was a low hum and lots of coughing... :worthy:

But the coughing was generally confined (with a few exceptions) to the breaks between each piece, and those coughs that snuck in elsewhere skillfully contributed to the overall sympathetic ambiance.

I performed under John Cage in 1979. This performance of 4'33" elevated my soul. It became a part of me.

For all the doubters out there, check out his bio. It's not just band directors and corps that like his music, it's BIG names and institutions.

Well, I didn't care all that much for John Mackey's musical compositions.

But now that you've told us that " the BIG names and institutions like his music " then I've changed my mind. I LOVE his music now. This is because I'm a big believer in" BIG institutions". They know better than all of us what is " good music ", interesting music " and " entertaining music ".

I don't like to think for myself either. I like " BIG names and BIG institutions" to do it for me.

Let's face it, it's what made the country great, ie... Following " the BIG institutions ", and liking what they like. They know what's " best ".

Edited by BRASSO

UNT Wind Symphony played this last fall... a stellar work!

I loved that performance! And I really do love this piece of music. I hope the Blue Devils do play it, because it's a lot of fun to listen to.

As has been stated before: We shall see.

Well, I didn't care all that much for John Mackey's musical compositions.

But now that you've told us that " the BIG names and institutions like his music " then I've changed my mind. I LOVE his music now. This is because I'm a big believer in" BIG institutions". They know better than all of us what is " good music ", interesting music " and " entertaining music ".

I don't like to think for myself either. I like " BIG names and BIG institutions" to do it for me.

Let's face it, it's what made the country great, ie... Following " the BIG institutions ", and liking what they like. They know what's " best ".

turn off fox news :worthy:

Well, consider the fact also that there was really only 15-20 minutes of music in Phantom of the Opera.........it was just restylized, rekeyed, and re-lyriced throughout the production.

Hope yer including SCV 88's version of Phantom in the "awe inspiring" category as well :worthy:

Not just including, but identifying specifically. Frankly, to me, the '89 show seemed like a "make up" production, not an improvement on the original. Even Gayle Royer identified it as such, and always preferred the '88 show. To paraphrase him in the interview he seemed to say that if they performed '89 as well as they did '88, and Madison doesn't have another anniversary...

I agree that the drill, and I'd add horn and drum line animation by each MM, made it more enjoyable, especially on DVD.

And thinking about SCV's proclivity to "production" design, I'd add the two or three years of Russian music to the category of what works better on the field than another venue. I've listened to many of the great Russian composers for years, and the drum corps production almost always leave me more...embedded?...with the score than when I am listenening to an orchestra.

An amazing thing relating to this topic is how few people understand about classical music is that there is a story in the music. If you understand the story then listening is greatly enhanced, but most newby classical listeners don't realize it so they don't relate to it the first (or first few) times. Drum Corps takes the music and shows the story behind it on the field so you get a visual of the story in addition to a musical vantage point.

I think much of the classical idiom is better produced on the field than it is in symphony hall, strictly from a pure "enjoyment" position.

Disclaimer: About the only thing I listen to besides DC is classical and I'm not disparaging any composure or his work.

I enjoyed this piece. Thanks for posting.

For about the first two minutes, I was at a loss for thinking it could translsate. to the field. This, due to the rather quiet opening. But as the piece went on, I really liked how the layers of sound grew, and I could see how it would translate. Particuarly around minute 7. Thats about where it clicked for me.

I can see needing a very good pit/front ensemble to make this piece stand out. Around the 5th minute, it seems to call for it. Also a corps that has been very good at going from soft to impact moments- with accelerandos and ritards-also needing to relate.

For that, I think Cavaliers would do an outstanding job with this piece. I am thinking about their shows in 1989, 2002, (and somewhat 2003), in that comparison.

Edited by Dmlkmen

hmm... one-time listening of the midi... I really can't hear a drum corps playing this, but then I'm thinking the midi isn't doing justice to how the piece is written. It's more background music than anything else, lacking a melody that I can tune myself to. So with that, I would say I don't necessarily care for the piece... but would like to hear it played by a band for a final verdict.