Off the Wall Stuff In Shows

If only we could have had Jeff Gibbens pouring shots instead of hammering together coffins that year..............

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 80 Matadors wheeled a large stage onto the field, had the infamous sop trio triple tonging

into megaphones. We also had basketballs & Frisbee in the drum solo.

I could remember the "Sweet Georgia Brown" drum solo but couldn't remember if a basketball was involved. And totally forgot the stage and frisbee. :sad:

Can't forget the sop trio. One of those guys (Chuck W) is playing with Hanover. :worthy:

Was it the Yankee Rebels who played pinball wizard and the 4 bass drums were to light up and say T I L T?

Don't remember that, but they did have someone running around the field wearing a tymp cover playing the part of the pinball.

Don't remember that, but they did have someone running around the field wearing a tymp cover playing the part of the pinball.

Think the person or one of them anyway was in the AF section with me with Westshoremen in the 80s.

Dang... Never saw it but during the 60s the Rebs did "The Stripper".... complete with... duh.... a stripper. Wonder what the AL thought about THAT. :worthy:

Think the person or one of them anyway was in the AF section with me with Westshoremen in the 80s.

Dang... Never saw it but during the 60s the Rebs did "The Stripper".... complete with... duh.... a stripper. Wonder what the AL thought about THAT. :sad:

Did the "stipper" get to keep all the $1 bills... :worthy:

As I recall, the lights worked except for the "L"

I could remember the "Sweet Georgia Brown" drum solo but couldn't remember if a basketball was involved. And totally forgot the stage and frisbee. :sad:

Can't forget the sop trio. One of those guys (Chuck W) is playing with Hanover. :worthy:

Chuck did indeed play in the trio along with Jimmy Centorino, Ritchee Price, Scott Friend, Freddy Rodi & I think

there was 1 other but that was along time ago.

Great story about the drum solo ................... that year Tom Pratt former Muchachos DM wrote & taught the drill. At the first rehearsal of the season the staff is introduced. Tom is introduced & starts talking to the corps about his thoughts for the show. It went something like this ..................... the drum line starts out playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" while the horn line imitates Grouhco with big plastic cigars, then the horns & guard do an old fashioned head chopper, then a salute to old style collage marching bands with the high stepping & swinging horns. After that (the end of the feature) the drums strike the pose from the Dutch Masters cigar box while Jimmy plays the theme from Candid Camera. At the same time Frank our equipment manager goes on top of the stage with an old camera that uses flash powder & takes the drum lines picture. And while the picture is taken there will be a big bright blue frisbee flying over the corps.

After he finished the entire room was silent, then from the back of the room.......... "Your Nuts!!!!"

So that season if you went to a show where the Matadors competed & had a program book, listed on the corps

history page you saw Opener - "Chanel One Suite", 2nd number "Another Cha-Cha", Drum Solo - "Prat's Nuts"

Unfortunately the flash powder only worked 1/2 the time & not many judges "got" it. But the ones that did gave us some

hilarious judges tapes.

Can't forget Pepe as "Reginald Van Gleason III" with the 1989 Fitchburg Kingsmen.

Pepe and his bucket of sand in 81

they carried them!

Glad it wasn't me!!