Off the Wall Stuff In Shows

Steel drums in the pit you say? It was done by Westshore in 1991 and 92 season. Marching a soprano pan is not difficult, but marching double tenor or double second pans is tricky. Tuning CAN be an issue, if the pans are not stored properly.

Don't understand why a blowtorch was needed unless the tuner was "resetting" the note surface, before tuning and blending. The biggest issue with Pans is RUST. surfaces must be painted, chromed or powder coated. Westshore utilized an ENTIRE "unit steel pan section" in the 1991 pit. This consisted of 2 soprano pans, 2 double seconds, MY single tenor pan, Cello pans(3) and a full "6 bass" set of pans (6 full drums with the entire chromatic bass scale).

We encountered NO tuning issues, and I tuned and blended the pans prior to the 91 summer season. Just a bit of "trivia":

The steel pan I was playing in 1991 was one I made myself!

1991 you say huh,................that was part of the dark years for me,............I guess I'll have to look up some audios...............you got any?

Edited by Gary Matczak

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ES with a bar, complete with a bartender (IIRC, he had a solo, too)

Renegades with a stationary bicycle

Chieftain's drum major arrived at the podium once by limo (I think it was in Allentown)

But that was used MANY years before by Butch, with a compliment of dancing girls. So that was not new, just "recycled"

What year was it Bucs used mini beer kegs in their perc feature? (metal ones....you can guess how they were emptied!)

84-86

Cabs also used the fire extinguishers in the end of the 2001 Spain Drum Solo. Yes water drums were started in 03 (In I believe, of all places, Waterbury) and carried over into 2004.

1991 you say huh,................that was part of the dark years for me,............I guess I'll have to look up some audios...............you got any?

I have audio and video... I will try to bring it to Harrisburg this coming weekend...

Edited by hairbear