Off the Wall Stuff In Shows

A minor one to be sure, but... '77 or '78-ish... The Dream.... Skyliners with a silver ice bucket on the sideline, with champagne contained therein.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget coffins www.MessenTools.com-Hallowen-ataud.gif

Oh yuck. Somebody went there.

Yeah, let's use COFFINS.....and let's use SEVEN of them, because.....er, well......um, uh....because......well....SEVEN! Yay, SEVEN!

And let's just approve them....regardless of cost...(and the fact that they were approved of and insisted upon by someone who never had to schlep them around or assemble them himself)...and the fact that they added nothing to our score...and think nothing of the fact that it cost the corps numerous hours of assembly and breakdown before and after shows and practices......and all the times our poor colorguard had to shove them around a field with every reset of a rehearsal phrase...

Gee. I wonder if there is a connection between the coffins and the fact that 'Gades ain't used props since. Not to mention the vampire graveyard tapestries that we had to purchase full blown temporary traffic sign mounts for...

Oh yuck. Somebody went there.

Yeah, let's use COFFINS.....and let's use SEVEN of them, because.....er, well......um, uh....because......well....SEVEN! Yay, SEVEN!

And let's just approve them....regardless of cost...(and the fact that they were approved of and insisted upon by someone who never had to schlep them around or assemble them himself)...and the fact that they added nothing to our score...and think nothing of the fact that it cost the corps numerous hours of assembly and breakdown before and after shows and practices......and all the times our poor colorguard had to shove them around a field with every reset of a rehearsal phrase...

Gee. I wonder if there is a connection between the coffins and the fact that 'Gades ain't used props since. Not to mention the vampire graveyard tapestries that we had to purchase full blown temporary traffic sign mounts for...

In 2005, Empire had a crew that showed up at the stadium around noon and built scaffold/prop rigs for hours,............................thankless job....................

In the mid 70's the cabs were the first corps to go ELECTRIC - the tuned base drums had a set of electric lights that were hooked to a pressure sensitive switch, and were used in the drum solo. The harder the drum was hit, the brighter they lit up. At that time, if you wanted to use something in the Finals, you had to have it in Prelims. The base drummers were fully equipped (batteries included! lol). The batteries were hidden under a white piece of material on their backs.

The only "outsider" in on the secret was Walter Kelly as he inspected to make sure the batteries were there. At Finals, there were many people complaining that we did not have them at Prelims and we should be penalized. Walter Kelly quickly shut them down when he verified the use in prelims.

During our final run thru at the hotel, Jim Costello had the drum line do the drum solo a couple of times - the horn line had never had a chance to watch it. Needless to say, having yjhe base drums light up in a dark field was electrifying, to say the least.

In the mid 70's the cabs were the first corps to go ELECTRIC - the tuned base drums had a set of electric lights that were hooked to a pressure sensitive switch, and were used in the drum solo. The harder the drum was hit, the brighter they lit up. At that time, if you wanted to use something in the Finals, you had to have it in Prelims. The base drummers were fully equipped (batteries included! lol). The batteries were hidden under a white piece of material on their backs.

The only "outsider" in on the secret was Walter Kelly as he inspected to make sure the batteries were there. At Finals, there were many people complaining that we did not have them at Prelims and we should be penalized. Walter Kelly quickly shut them down when he verified the use in prelims.

During our final run thru at the hotel, Jim Costello had the drum line do the drum solo a couple of times - the horn line had never had a chance to watch it. Needless to say, having yjhe base drums light up in a dark field was electrifying, to say the least.

Boy, that reminds me:

Which year did the Cabs have water on the top of the Tymps - '05, '07?

(Rumor is that it first happened when the tymps got rained on at a rehearsal?)

What a cool effect!

03 was the water bass drums I believe ..yeah they debuted in the drum solo in 2003

Edited by Jeff Ream

Ok, I'll post the obvious. Westshore with the doves in the tymp cases. I remember sitting in the backside bleachers during that show.

There WILL be some 1980 DCA Westshoremen "feathers" in Harrisburg this year.... (8 MORE DAYS!!! :worthy: )

Marching street signs....Carolina Gold 2005.....part of their "where you've been" section of their show.

Does this count" ... LOL

1980 DCA Prelims - Sunrisers' "SHACKER" sign. (in between the 45/50 yrd line leaning against the chair)

8-31-1980Sunrisers_DCAPrelims_NAMES.jpg

Direct link: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/Sund...elims_NAMES.jpg

Edited by TennTux

Chieftain's drum major arrived at the podium once by limo (I think it was in Allentown)

Sky's Butch Anderson arrived to the podium in a limo quite often... :worthy: