Crown Doing Lion King Idea

In an earlier thread (like a month earlier) some one mentioned the idea of Crown doing the Lion King as their show. Some one else shut this down due to the fact that they thought John Williams wrote the score and we all know that he's a stickler about allowing his music to be arranged. Well I did some research and Hanns Zimmer, Elton John and Tim Rice all took hand in the score composition and the song writing for the film. I know Hanns Zimmer will allow corps to use his music since this season Bluecoats are doing 160bpm from Angels and Demons and in 2008, Spirit had a bit of Batman Begins in their ballad. Looks like there's hope for the Lion King show possibility

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only if they use banished Beyond's drum parts

yet another thread

For sure.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :worthy::ph34r:

Best BB video of all time!

In an earlier thread (like a month earlier) some one mentioned the idea of Crown doing the Lion King as their show. Some one else shut this down due to the fact that they thought John Williams wrote the score and we all know that he's a stickler about allowing his music to be arranged. Well I did some research and Hanns Zimmer, Elton John and Tim Rice all took hand in the score composition and the song writing for the film. I know Hanns Zimmer will allow corps to use his music since this season Bluecoats are doing 160bpm from Angels and Demons and in 2008, Spirit had a bit of Batman Begins in their ballad. Looks like there's hope for the Lion King show possibility

It's not the fact that it's John Williams (which no, it's not), it's the fact that it's DISNEY, which is probably the one entity even worse than Williams in this matter. Plus the fact that three people wrote the score makes for big trouble... getting permission from all three will not be fun.

Man, people need to do some research.

First off, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Tim Rice, Elton John, and the Disney Corporation have ALL allowed their music to be arranged. Take a look at www.corpsreps.com and you will find this without much effort.

Furthermore, it is the decision those publishing arms that hold the print rights, performance rights, or recording rights that ultimately make the decision.

As for it being difficult, yes, for some of these people/companies it is.

However, it is not impossible. For example Disney's policy on the matter is typically stated that film music less than 6 months old can not be arranged or used. You may also not use their music if it has been arranged and published already for that medium. So in other words, it would be difficult to arrange "The Incredibles" because there is a published arrangement through Hal Leonard.

This is not always the case though. Take a look at the Cadets 2000 show. All Disney music. The music premeired in the later part of 1999 at Epcot Center. The Cadets were rehearsing it by at least January or February, so the 6 month window shrunk. Furthermore, Jay Bocook published an arrangement of that music, based on his Cadets arrangement for Hal Leonard, so both of their "typical" rules were broken.

Can the Lion King be done, yes, is it impossible, no. Difficult? Maybe.

This is all public information, btw. A little research would probably help before we just start spouting off "facts."

yet another thread

So why post if this is all you have to contribute? Just don't click on a thread that involves Crown. It's as easy as that.

I actually find this an interesting conversation. It's a legit question and has nothing to do with the other "hype" threads.

Also worth pointing out that :

-Lone Star did Beauty and the Beast in '93 (I think - could have been '92, but I'm too lazy to look it up on Corpsreps right now)

-I know of a high school band in Texas that did Aladdin in '93

-"The Incredibles" is certainly not impossible - see "The Impulsibles" from '05

So yes, likely difficult, but not out of the realm of possibility. The question I'm asking is whether I want to see a show based on The Lion King. On the face of it, I'm not terribly excited - but then, I kind of thought that "The William Tell Overture" was entirely too cheesy to be competitive, and we all know how '07 turned out. :)

Man, people need to do some research.

First off, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Tim Rice, Elton John, and the Disney Corporation have ALL allowed their music to be arranged. Take a look at www.corpsreps.com and you will find this without much effort.

Furthermore, it is the decision those publishing arms that hold the print rights, performance rights, or recording rights that ultimately make the decision.

As for it being difficult, yes, for some of these people/companies it is.

However, it is not impossible. For example Disney's policy on the matter is typically stated that film music less than 6 months old can not be arranged or used. You may also not use their music if it has been arranged and published already for that medium. So in other words, it would be difficult to arrange "The Incredibles" because there is a published arrangement through Hal Leonard.

This is not always the case though. Take a look at the Cadets 2000 show. All Disney music. The music premeired in the later part of 1999 at Epcot Center. The Cadets were rehearsing it by at least January or February, so the 6 month window shrunk. Furthermore, Jay Bocook published an arrangement of that music, based on his Cadets arrangement for Hal Leonard, so both of their "typical" rules were broken.

Can the Lion King be done, yes, is it impossible, no. Difficult? Maybe.

This is all public information, btw. A little research would probably help before we just start spouting off "facts."