you rock Tony

Even though I brought some of the 1980 DCA finals "feathers"? :thumbup:

(THANK YOU, for getting some of them to Westshore's memorabilia table... :thumbup: Very depressing about next year's SIB. Even though it IS going to be the party of ALL parties! *Still feels like a kick in the &%#@*)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid it was Carnegie Hall, then Madison Square Garden, then Symphony Hall in Newark, then I went overseas for a few years, then it was round-robins all over the place, then eventually Harrisburg...

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Harrisburg show, but like everything else...

Point me to the next great idea...

Just don't keep moving further south and west - Morgentown, WV is a long way to drive for a Spring Preview...

The only ones I am aware of at this time are those that do special gigs for DCI like SCV, Madison, Cavies..and I guess Star altho Blast alumni count to them as part of the organization.

But to a lot of 20 year olds, playing old style arrangments won't appeal, just as to older members, playing more modern stuff ( 90's, 2000's) won't appeal

Is that true? (I'm actually asking)...

Do folks my age not want to play arrangements from newer times, corps, arrangers?

I guess I don't know. I had a great time doing an Arturo Sandoval chart for the Boston Senior Crusaders some years back. I know they're back playing BITD charts and doing very well at it, but is it that the alums really don't want to play new music?

I always figured players just love playing. We did some Maynard stuff with Archie a couple decades ago -

Remember one thing about the guys and girls who are in the alumni corps now they were - in many cases - the pioneers back in the day - Archie was playing the Beatles in 1963 or 1964. A lot of these folks were way out there ahead of the curve when they were a few years younger - do people really get caught in that narrow a niche?

I guess it's possible. I always thought it was the staff who pushed in that direction. I don't know.

well

Is that true? (I'm actually asking)...

Do folks my age not want to play arrangements from newer times, corps, arrangers?

I guess I don't know. I had a great time doing an Arturo Sandoval chart for the Boston Senior Crusaders some years back. I know they're back playing BITD charts and doing very well at it, but is it that the alums really don't want to play new music?

I always figured players just love playing. We did some Maynard stuff with Archie a couple decades ago -

Remember one thing about the guys and girls who are in the alumni corps now they were - in many cases - the pioneers back in the day - Archie was playing the Beatles in 1963 or 1964. A lot of these folks were way out there ahead of the curve when they were a few years younger - do people really get caught in that narrow a niche?

I guess it's possible. I always thought it was the staff who pushed in that direction. I don't know.

well Ray, I know I have heard on more than a few occasions from older performers " i dont want to play that new (use any adjective you want). " Now I'm not saying that's all of them, but for many, they want to do "what we used to do".

the alumni movement is for the most part againg, and many of the corps don't have a competing unit from which to bolster the ranks. Eventually, like with SIB's issues, alumni corps willhave to face that fact.

When we started Westshore in 02, we joked we'd be the youngest drumline on stage. 8 years later, we are still the youngest line on stage, tho Bucs is getting younger every year.

someone is going to have replace us, I don't see that involvement and acceptance from the next generation in the droves needed.

well, from the 2nd row of risers, it appeared to me Westshore kicked ###

well, from the 2nd row of risers, it appeared to me Westshore kicked ###

You are correct....Westshore was terrific!!! :thumbup:

Fran

well

well Ray, I know I have heard on more than a few occasions from older performers " i dont want to play that new (use any adjective you want). " Now I'm not saying that's all of them, but for many, they want to do "what we used to do".

the alumni movement is for the most part againg, and many of the corps don't have a competing unit from which to bolster the ranks. Eventually, like with SIB's issues, alumni corps willhave to face that fact.

When we started Westshore in 02, we joked we'd be the youngest drumline on stage. 8 years later, we are still the youngest line on stage, tho Bucs is getting younger every year.

someone is going to have replace us, I don't see that involvement and acceptance from the next generation in the droves needed.

I agree with you completely on that Jeff - I've been around the alum activity just about from the beginning, and when people were saying "Alumni corps will replace competitive corps, etc." I wasn't buying it. Don't get me wrong - I love it - especially the people - but with some rare exceptions I don't think I've sen the fan base tracking in that direction.

Great activity - I have to admit though (and I won't name any specific corps) I've walked away from more than one alumni show thinking "If I have to hear them play that [fillin the blanks for song title] I'll shoot myself."

I always think of that old Ricky Nelson song "Garden Party"...

But that's just me...

I hear ya Ray. I'm one of those rare breeds...I like a lot of all the activity has to offer. I go just as nuts for the Bucs as I do Crown as I do Cabs alumni.

Somewhere I saw a stat, and I dont know how true it is, that over 60% of all active alumni corps do not have a competitive unit out there.

and of those corps still competing in whatever circuit, I'd say less than 20% have an alumni corps to keep the former members involved...maybe less than that when you take out one shot projects like SCV, Cavies, Madison and Star