Are we hurting ourselves

A thought from the Captial Sound Thread.

I've read over and over again how some Band Directors don't want anythying to do with Drum Corps. And most cases its because of housing issues. I've read horror stories of bad housing but it would be interesting to hear the other side. We need to be aware of how we treat each location we find ourselves in. It might be the reason some corps have to be far away from show locations at times. But more importantly it hurts recruiting.

Edited by Blackstar

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read over and over again how some Band Directors don't want anythying to do with Drum Corps. And most cases its because of housing issues. I've read horror stories of bad housing but it would be interesting to hear the other side. We need to be aware of how we treat each location we find ourselves in. It might be the reason some corps have to be far away from show locations at times. But more importantly it hurts recruiting.

Drum corps are a needless inconvenience during a summer when school districts are trying to cut costs by "shutting down" facilities for 2-3 weeks in the suummer as is.

The traveling show will be curtailed because of lack of housing over any other single component.

There, I repeated what I said 3 years ago on DCP. Lack of housing will be the end of drum corps as we know it.

Tom Brace

Meh, finding housing has been a pain in the ### since drum corps started touring. There's nothing to see here folks, move along.

I guess you have never met Jeff Cox.

Nope, have not, not sure what it has to do with the fact that it's always been a pain in the ### for corps to find housing. It isn't a new phenomena.

Nope, have not, not sure what it has to do with the fact that it's always been a pain in the ### for corps to find housing. It isn't a new phenomena.

You ignore the trend of housing getting more difficult...partially due to what Tom pointed out, and partially due to corps damaging the grounds....our own worst enemy, in a way.

One of the biggest reasons corps are having housing problems is because school districts are "going green" to save money during the summer and they save more money shutting the place down and turning off all of the utilities than they make off of housing a corps.

Meh, finding housing has been a pain in the ### since drum corps started touring. There's nothing to see here folks, move along.

it's going to get worse. schools are looking for every way to cut costs...where I teach this summer shut down thursday afternoon every week...no utilities on until Monday morning.

add in liability fears...

Edited by Jeff Ream

Is it going to come to the point that when corps going on tour, they just camp along the sidelines for the fields whenever they can't find a housing site?

Aside from electronics and showering, i don't see a big issue with that...