DCI 2009 Finals on Blu-Ray

I received a pleasant surprise in my driveway yesterday - the Blu Ray version of the 2009 DCI Final 12! According to the website they were supposed to ship on or about April 15 - so it was WOO HOO time for me!

It is a two disc set - loads relatively fast with an easy to follow menu - also you can start each corps either high cam or multi cam.

My man-cave has two viewing options - a 47" LCD that plays regular DVD's upscale from a Blu-Ray player ( this plays the finals dvd's ok ) and a video projection system with an image size of 6 feet by 9 feet ( finals dvd's fairly blurry here ) -

The Blu-Ray finals disc on the projection system is razor sharp - almost to the point of posessing depth of field! The visual difference between the two formats is about the same as a 2.99 bottle of whiskey vs a 100 year old cognac! I had to subdue the audio as my wife thinks I am destroying the house - full test coming tomorrow - but it sounded very crisp and well balanced.

This is a major step up for the armchair Drum Corps fanatic ! Thank You - DCI THANK YOU Tom Blair! :thumbup:

frankiE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a pleasant surprise in my driveway yesterday - the Blu Ray version of the 2009 DCI Final 12! According to the website they were supposed to ship on or about April 15 - so it was WOO HOO time for me!

It is a two disc set - loads relatively fast with an easy to follow menu - also you can start each corps either high cam or multi cam.

My man-cave has two viewing options - a 47" LCD that plays regular DVD's upscale from a Blu-Ray player ( this plays the finals dvd's ok ) and a video projection system with an image size of 6 feet by 9 feet ( finals dvd's fairly blurry here ) -

The Blu-Ray finals disc on the projection system is razor sharp - almost to the point of posessing depth of field! The visual difference between the two formats is about the same as a 2.99 bottle of whiskey vs a 100 year old cognac! I had to subdue the audio as my wife thinks I am destroying the house - full test coming tomorrow - but it sounded very crisp and well balanced.

This is a major step up for the armchair Drum Corps fanatic ! Thank You - DCI THANK YOU Tom Blair! :thumbup:

frankiE

It is a whole new thing, isn't it!?

Be sure to try the DTS audio. We chose to set the startup default to Dolby Digital, since that's still the defacto standard. It sounds great too, but the DTS has this great clarity and warmth, even at the threshold of pain (where I like to listen).

Glad you like it!

I've heard that the audio is incredible!

I wish I actually had a real sound system setup so that I can enjoy the benefits of it since the audio isn't compressed.

Looks like I will have to jump soon to get these before they are all gone.

One thing I noticed regarding the audio was that I had to turn it up a LOT more than any of the finals DVDs that I have to get the same volume. Once I got there though, the sound was really good other than a few spots where the low end synthesizer seemed to overpower to corps. But this might just be the way it sounded on finals nigh. Since I was not there I can not say if it is a product of the recording or just poor balancing issues. It was surprising though to hear something I am more used to hearing from a high school band without tubas.....

Sounds good, a lot of people have been asking for this...I have yet to take the HD or even flat screen or even cable plunge but its nice to know it will be there for me when the time comes

Not a luddite or anything, just don’t watch enough TV to trick it out

My copy arrived today via UPS and within 10 minutes of its arrival, it was on my system and playing ... obviously, I was thrilled to receive it AHEAD of schedule. Only had time to preview a short bit of the content - but can report that the Blueray lived up to my expectations.

In a word - WOW!

Thanks to Tom Blair, Fej, and the entire team that made this a reality.

BRAVO!!

-john

I too would like to thank all those involved with providing us with this excellent product. The Blu-rays definitely lived up to my highest expectation and now give me some truly reference quality drum corps material to showcase my entertainment system. I look forward to many more years of this quality of product!

I popped in my Blu Ray disc this afternoon to check it out. I've been breaking in a new set of speakers for the home theater system, and they are now ready to stretch out and push a little. What better way to do this than with some intense drum corps?

The visual clarity is stunning. I actually don't enjoy watching my DVD on my home theater system, as the image quality is so poor. On a 110" screen, it is very blurry and grainy. The Blu Ray image quality is spectacular.

The audio sounds fantastic, especially using the DTS feature. The audio levels are fairly low on the discs, so I had to turn the volume up much higher than I normally do with other discs; however, they have some wonderful sound.

This is the way I want to watch drum corps. I hope the Blu Ray release is successful, and that DCI continues to produce them in the future. I will definitely purchase Blu Ray in the future if offered.

The blu-rays are stunning in their clarity of picture and sound. Saber and rifle tosses look just as if one were there. They images look so life-like. And I can’t say enough about the stunning color and texture of the flags, costumes, and corps uniforms. It will blow your mind. Tom Blair, you did a stunning job on this.

Edited by cadlag

Hi all,

My TV tells me that the Blu-ray discs are 480i. Is that

true (1080p would be fantastic), or have I unintentionally

something set on my system that prevents higher resolution?

I agree with others: sound is great and is set at pretty low

volume. The low sounds and synthesizers sound louder than

I would like.