Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

You forgot to mention Empire's hornline:)

But I did mention the color-pre/smoke/insanity fest. Too many refs to my own corps and they'd call me a homer! Good on you for that shameless plug. You make Jeff Ream's pro-Westshore thing look downright conservative :)

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have/am heavily involved in both DCI and DCA. May I suggest that you immerse yourself in the group/division you are watching and forget the comparisons. There is something there to enjoy on all levels be it DCI or DCA. As a brass player you learned to play that first note, and then you had to march playing it. Now you want it smooth. Now scream it up three octaves...while running backwards! I can relate to every one of those steps and am supportive of that kid or old man that's out there doing his best to entertain.

Music, movement, dance, whatever makes you feel good. There is no age limit for that. If you still have music in you then get out there and let it free. You will have critics and fans but who cares either way. DCA has much to offer, don't be afraid to express yourself. For the drum corps snobs, don't watch or listen if you cannot enjoy it. Just sit back and revel in the memory of your glorious past. For me, I have wonderful memories of the past present and am looking forward to a summer of new adventures!

Support your local drum corps. :thumbup:

But I did mention the color-pre/smoke/insanity fest. Too many refs to my own corps and they'd call me a homer! Good on you for that shameless plug. You make Jeff Ream's pro-Westshore thing look downright conservative :)

Haha :thumbup:

I think dugada just coined a phrase..."drum corps snobs".

LOVE IT!

Those too "snobbish" (see, I used it already!) to attend dca individuals missed the coolest presentation and HUUUGE standing O earned at colorguard individuals by Anaheim Kingsmen alum and rifle tossing guru extraordinaire....his wife Deb! Old-school takes the stage and stuns the crowd to tears (me included).

DP has the wisdom of many years and experiences (and KarnEvil 9 in his hip pocket). What say we follow his lead?

No matter how many digs I see/hear about dca, the one thing that is certain is that people keep showing up and, call me crazy, have a pretty good time. I would challenge the person who watched some video's and drew conclusions based on some misplaced microphones to stand in front of Star United or Bucs or Renegades horn arc and see if they come away with the same opinion. Or Minnesota's drumline. Or Bushwackers or Hurcs colorguard. They are then welcome to share their opinions with those members and caption heads on the spot. :)

so... you think a drum corps that practices on the weekends is just as good as a corps that practice everyday of the week for 12 hours a day?

This is part of the disconnect, IMO. Some people say DCA is not as good, and that is fine. Obviously, they shouldn't be expected to be. But then other people, like this post, make it seem like saying that the DCA products are not as good is somehow offensive, and if you don't want to have a fist fight 1 against 50, you should agree that DCA puts out extremely high quality products that are comparable to DCI.

do you go to a high school band concert and tell them they aren't as good as a college ensemble?

Edited by soccerguy315

so... you think a drum corps that practices on the weekends is just as good as a corps that practice everyday of the week for 12 hours a day?

Not sure this was said. Doesn't really matter. Did both. Love both. Now back to regularly scheduled programming :)

how is it, me, a guy who has been around both circuits as far back as i can remember, can go to both and enjoy both for what they are, and not get hung on one being so technically superior over the other?

Because we're all unique individuals with our own personal tastes and opinions?

Let me ask this:

Why do some DCA fans feel the need to have to defend/justify your passions? Be happy and love your passions, and who cares that I personally am not a fan of DCA and have no desire to explore it further. The OP asked for opinions about DCA, and when the minority of the posts are from people uninterested in DCA, you don't have to automatically go into defense mode, act almost holier than thou because you like both (and kind of tacitly implying those of us who are only fans of one idiom are either not intelligent enough to understand the differences in genres, or that just because we don't like something means we can't appreciate it).

This is part of the disconnect, IMO. Some people say DCA is not as good, and that is fine. Obviously, they shouldn't be expected to be. But then other people, like this post, make it seem like saying that the DCA products are not as good is somehow offensive, and if you don't want to have a fist fight 1 against 50, you should agree that DCA puts out extremely high quality products that are comparable to DCI.

do you go to a high school band concert and tell them they aren't as good as a college ensemble?

DCA corps are not as good as DCI corps for the most part. The top DCA corps would more than likely not make DCI Finals, and have zero chance in competing for the Championship. There's no argument there, and to think otherwise is just either being naive, or blindly supportive of DCA.

What is funny to me, though, is that your last sentence seems to imply that DCA = high school band to DCI's college ensemble, implying that DCI is indeed superior to DCA. And I have seen plenty of high school concert bands that are superior to college groups. In the district I teach in I'd put the 3 top bands of the three best high schools up against a lot of college ensembles any day. Better than UCLA, or U of Michigan, or other upper echelon college music programs? Of course not. But better than many other college ensembles? Yes. Can you say the same for DCA vs DCI? MAYBE comparing the DCA Champion to Cascades, or Pioneer, or Jersey Surf, but not many (if any) more DCI corps.

Now, of course, does DCA's lack of comparable precision to DCI make it a poor product, and not worthy of praise and merit? Absolutely not. There's nothing wrong with that, and I applaud ANYONE who is putting time in to perform on a drum corps field and display their passion. But if you love DCA, then who cares if it's as good as DCI: that doesn't matter. Heck, I'll give The Renegades the same applause and standing O's that I give Blue Devils, and I appreciate the efforts and passions of both groups of members, regardless of age (and sorry Renegades and BD, but BDC WILL get more applause than all of you :thumbup: )

You guys over-analyzing this.

DCA corps will never be as good as DCI corps.

For one reason. Time.

Yup.