Has your view of DCI changed lately ?

My old junior corps was reborn, so I have changed my perspective a bit. I am sort of lost in the alumni thing right now, and having a blast doing it! (Thanks Bill, Tom and Shore!) :ph34r:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so to you, to sum it up, if someone isnt a DCI fan, they are "haters" and ruining drum corps, but do you feel the same if someone says the same about DCA?

Anybody can feel anyway they want, but I believe that the "haters (your term)" are ruining drum corps.

I feel the same way concerning the "haters (your term)" of DCA.

That is exactly how I feel. There are too few supporters as it is. We should all band together to support all drum corps.

Why did I post the "facts" about the tie-breaker in Buffalo? Because the thread asked about views on DCI. Period. Has my view changed? Yes!!! I used to think DCI was the absolute greatest. For reasons, too many to list, that view has changed.

Now, regarding the DCI official who threw such a hissy-fit to the Brigs corps director.... It was NOT some stadium official. It was the DCI official at the show. Period! I know this official by name and by sight. He was wearing his DCI pass on a lanyard around his neck.

So, to those of you who were not there, and wish to second guess the facts as they were related, sorry to have to put the truth out there for all to see. DCI, by virtue of it's representative official, was completely disrespectful to the reigning DCA World Champions. There is no excuse for this! Had the shoe been on the other foot, and DCA disrespected DCI....we would NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT !!!

But I'm sure there are fans of DCI who believe the organization can do no harm, because they are too perfect.

Well, I'm a fan of drum corps. All drum corps. They are all good; and none are perfect. And neither are their governing bodies.

I can only recall a story that I heard about some kids from SCV at the World Open in 75'. My freinds were all Drum Corps buddies from the Northeast. Eventually the conversation turned to DCA and what was happening over there. My freinds were shocked to learn that the only DCA corps that they had ever heard of were the Cabs. They just couldn't believe it. Hopefully that's changing. I mean, today if you belong to SCV or BD, how the hell can you not know about the Renegades?

I mean, today if you belong to SCV or BD, how the hell can you not know about the Renegades?

Let me answer this first. Most of the competing groups on the West coast are NOT in the Stadium when the DCA groups like Ren's, SoCal, go on the Field. DCA groups Must go on first. Then DCI Open Class, Then DCI World Class. So many Fans arrive Late, and the competing DCI groups are outside the Stadium.

Now.

My opinion of DCA is still OK. Not exactly what I would want. But that is to be expected. Everyone likes somethings better than others. Perfect for me might be not so hot for someone else. No Problem. Right now, DCA has some Good Varity of styles and sounds at All Levels Top to bottom in BOTH Divisions. I prefer the more Empire Statesmen - Renegades - Kilties. A large number of people prefer the more like DCI, Buc's, Minn. Brass, and Bush. Too each their own way. As much as I do not care for the Buc's. I DO think they could score well with the TOP 12 DCI groups. Maybe not Win. But would do well. Make that the Top 18 DCI and throw in Minn. Brass, Buch, Cabs and one or two others.

I could Not and will Not take away Anything from the Quality and Excellance of any of the TOP DCI or DCA groups.

I just know what I like. :ph34r:

Anybody can feel anyway they want, but I believe that the "haters (your term)" are ruining drum corps.

I feel the same way concerning the "haters (your term)" of DCA.

That is exactly how I feel. There are too few supporters as it is. We should all band together to support all drum corps.

You're really saying this? After all the digs you made towards DCA in the DCI forum and in this forum? Really?

*ahem"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"We should all band together to support drum corps"....

We can also all be blind fools that readily accept and slavishly lap up everything that's thrown our way as valid.

I would believe that we all agree this activity is a performing art.

As an art, it can be subject to criticism. It *should* be subject to criticism! In fact, because of its competitve nature, it's held up to a very exacting and insanely thorough criticism.

I find the "How dare you say anything negative because you're divisive and a hater!" crowd to be tiresome and sad. They rankle me.

We all agree it's not the performers that cause the problems and the criticism that's frequently leveled. As a performer, all they can do is perform the bejeezus out of what is given them to perform to finish as high as they can. People have a right to criticize and react positively or negatively to a given program. Otherwise, we end up never knowing how genuine any reaction to what we do is! I for one would NOT want to stand on the sideline at the end of any contest and even think in the back of my head that the crowd applause and reaction is because they applauded regardless of what they really thought about the program but felt obliged to cheer and clap to make me feel good. How empty, unsatisfying, and shallow that would be. Why bother hitting the field at that point.

What this individual is telling all of us is effectively this:

We all go out for fine dining, spend some serious bucks and are then told what we ordered or expected isn't what we'll get, and we end up with some kind of pretentious chunk of carved tofu on a mulit-grain bun artistically surrounded by parsley and colorful flakes of some kind of plant matter instead of that 22 ounce juicy prime rib we expected to get and paid for several months before we showed up. And, for the sake of not hurting the cook's feelings or the establishment's management, we should shut up and eat to support them and the waiter and waitresses, who incidentally did provide fantastic and very courteous service, who are, by the way, quite faultless for what the management and cook did.

I'm tired of the touchy people who can't stand any form of criticism of their art and try and use the performers as their shield to protect themselves from any negative comments, no matter how well thought out or not those criticisms may be. Toughen up. If what you believe in as art is valid, that art will rise to the top, especially in this environment. A lot of it hasn't risen to the top from what I'm observing. If someone wishes to try and ram what they think is valid up everyone's nostrils and it's still not accepted, it is certainly their right to keep ramming away, but maybe they shouldn't expect or demand a blind, slavering positive audience reaction to their art, nor should they expect a high placement when it all shakes out at the end.

All I know is this. Many folks are making it clear with their wallets in many different areas about what they would like to see at a contest. It seems to be the only way some of these pretentious folks who dish out the tofu to their unwilling eaters because they think that's what they should feed us will finally listen and serve up the steak.

One more thought for the madding crowd before I leave--How about I bust out a kazoo and hum some Wagner into a mike on the sideline while I mark time wearing a tinfoil hat while I get someone else to smack a pie tin with a stick while they march around behind me and I call it "drum corps" while I'm at it and expect everyone to enthusiastically support my artistic endeavor that I have worked so hard on creating unquestioningly. I want that standing O, baby! That's kind of where that kind of 'accept everything and support it unquestioningly' attitude is angling towards- isn't it? :ph34r:

It's late. I worked hard tonight, come home and read this, and well, I just felt the need to speak up as politely as anyone can at 345AM after their jaw hits the floor rerading that silliness. And... I hope a few people laughed at the Kazoo thing. One heck of an image, huh? :ph34r:

"We should all band together to support drum corps"....

We can also all be blind fools that readily accept and slavishly lap up everything that's thrown our way as valid.

I would believe that we all agree this activity is a performing art.

As an art, it can be subject to criticism. It *should* be subject to criticism! In fact, because of its competitve nature, it's held up to a very exacting and insanely thorough criticism.

I find the "How dare you say anything negative because you're divisive and a hater!" crowd to be tiresome and sad. They rankle me.

We all agree it's not the performers that cause the problems and the criticism that's frequently leveled. As a performer, all they can do is perform the bejeezus out of what is given them to perform to finish as high as they can. People have a right to criticize and react positively or negatively to a given program. Otherwise, we end up never knowing how genuine any reaction to what we do is! I for one would NOT want to stand on the sideline at the end of any contest and even think in the back of my head that the crowd applause and reaction is because they applauded regardless of what they really thought about the program but felt obliged to cheer and clap to make me feel good. How empty, unsatisfying, and shallow that would be. Why bother hitting the field at that point.

What this individual is telling all of us is effectively this:

We all go out for fine dining, spend some serious bucks and are then told what we ordered or expected isn't what we'll get, and we end up with some kind of pretentious chunk of carved tofu on a mulit-grain bun artistically surrounded by parsley and colorful flakes of some kind of plant matter instead of that 22 ounce juicy prime rib we expected to get and paid for several months before we showed up. And, for the sake of not hurting the cook's feelings or the establishment's management, we should shut up and eat to support them and the waiter and waitresses, who incidentally did provide fantastic and very courteous service, who are, by the way, quite faultless for what the management and cook did.

I'm tired of the touchy people who can't stand any form of criticism of their art and try and use the performers as their shield to protect themselves from any negative comments, no matter how well thought out or not those criticisms may be. Toughen up. If what you believe in as art is valid, that art will rise to the top, especially in this environment. A lot of it hasn't risen to the top from what I'm observing. If someone wishes to try and ram what they think is valid up everyone's nostrils and it's still not accepted, it is certainly their right to keep ramming away, but maybe they shouldn't expect or demand a blind, slavering positive audience reaction to their art, nor should they expect a high placement when it all shakes out at the end.

All I know is this. Many folks are making it clear with their wallets in many different areas about what they would like to see at a contest. It seems to be the only way some of these pretentious folks who dish out the tofu to their unwilling eaters because they think that's what they should feed us will finally listen and serve up the steak.

One more thought for the madding crowd before I leave--How about I bust out a kazoo and hum some Wagner into a mike on the sideline while I mark time wearing a tinfoil hat while I get someone else to smack a pie tin with a stick while they march around behind me and I call it "drum corps" while I'm at it and expect everyone to enthusiastically support my artistic endeavor that I have worked so hard on creating unquestioningly. I want that standing O, baby! That's kind of where that kind of 'accept everything and support it unquestioningly' attitude is angling towards- isn't it? :ph34r:

It's late. I worked hard tonight, come home and read this, and well, I just felt the need to speak up as politely as anyone can at 345AM after their jaw hits the floor rerading that silliness. And... I hope a few people laughed at the Kazoo thing. One heck of an image, huh? :w00t:

I laughed at the kazoo thing. Thanks for the image. haha Some people are taking all this way too seriously so that was good to laugh after the pages of drama and finger pointing.

And I agree with everything you said in this post. :ph34r:

I like DCI and DCA, it's all good to me. 2 different organization with 2 different purpose. I don't think my view would ever change on any of the 2 unless they start presenting corps with only 2 members playing kazoos... :ph34r:

Christine- I'm trying to picture you with a contra-kazoo on your shoulder. :ph34r:

"They rankle me".... oh that Central PA way of speaking.... At least no one said "Suck with a capital S" but that was more of a drumline thing.

Thanks for the laugh buddy....