Mods - why is it Michael Boo never gets banned or his posts removed for being off topic?

It's cool if he and GMichael1230 aren't interested in discussing posters and their looks, but many of us are.

Thanks,

Kash

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods - why is it Michael Boo never gets banned or his posts removed for being off topic?

It's cool if he and GMichael1230 aren't interested in discussing posters and their looks, but many of us are.

Thanks,

Kash

thats off topic

Edited by Silver_King

All I know is in my day, we didn't have posters. We were required to take turns and stand without moving in the locations where posters would have been if we had posters. And families would walk past us and the children would point and say, "Mommy. Is that drum corps person dead?" And the mommy would say, "No, dear. He's just advertising the drum corps show next week in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot." And the little girl would say, "I want to go. I want to go...unless they're using electronics." And the mommy would say, "They aren't using electronics, but they are using rope snare drums, one-valve horns and 36-pound rifles." To which the little girl would proclaim, "I want to go to the circus instead!" And the mommy would respond, "Drum corps is just like a circus, but the freaks have more music degrees." And then the little girl would start to cry and she'd freak out when those of us standing where posters would one day go would step out to go to our one allowed bathroom break of the day. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS AND WE LIKED IT!

dana-carvey-grumpy.jpg

You forgot the tin can, Michael. The Women and her small child would be terrified not to put some coin into the fund raising tin cans of the Corps guys in their corps jackets outside that Piggly Wiggly's. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks,

Kash

A. I have incriminating photos of some DCP moderators and they know it.

B. While certain posts may sometimes run off-topic, dialogue with others keeps people coming back to a thread to see what's new.

C. In order to get banned, one has to use words like #### and ####.

D. Along the way, I've discussed the posters/logos.

E. Did I mention the photos?

It's probably for the best to try to steer this back "on topic" . . .I think the general idea the OP had here is to speak to the design elements of the 2010 posters . . . and we've deviated from that to a point where the original topic is somewhat buried.

Granted, thread drift will happen from time to time, but we have another thread that Granny Smith graciously opened that is very much in the same vein as a lot of the back and forth that's weighed this thread down a bit.

Otherwise, next steps here will be to excise the OT portions into their own thread or delete them (as needed).

Thanks! :tongue:

Thanks,

Kash

so, if you are interested in discussing posters, answer my question or direct me to the right source, and remember just because its not what you want to hear doenst mean its nto on topic...I have added more to the topic of posters than you have...and I am waiting for an answer from you regarding posters, before we procedd any further.......

So, tell me: When did these posters strart to become the norm ? how does one get them ? how many are there?

G

In my experience posters have sort of come and gone. Some corps don't do them at all, while others seem more consistent. The Troopers for example have put out a poster each year since their return (see below).

I'm not sure how profitable they are to produce and sell, but besides tshirts, they're one of my favorite Souvies. I'm one of the few here at the home who has posters on my wall instead of those silly moving pictures with a waterfall or jumping dolphins.

IronHorse.jpgWesternSide.jpg

P.S. I pulled these posters off of the Troopers facebook page.

It's not a blood splatter; it's a drip from a Burger King catsup packet that shot open under pressure.

Granted, the catsup packet exploded when the person putting it on their fries was hit by six rounds from a high-powered sniper's rifle; but the point is the image itself is not violent.

Well for that matter guns are not inherently violent either, they're just chunks of metal and in some cases wood, or I guess a composite of some kind.....but I digress. My point is that violence is a HUMAN thing.

Well for that matter guns are not inherently violent either, they're just chunks of metal and in some cases wood, or I guess a composite of some kind.....but I digress. My point is that violence is a HUMAN thing.

To get this back on track, does anyone think certain possible poster/logo elements aren't appropriate for a youth activity? Is there a difference between the (former) gun and present blood splatter in the Cavaliers' logo and the shooting rifles in Troopers' 2009 poster? Should anyone care? We went through the violence thing with Phantom 2008 and most (including me) agreed it did a great job of contributing to the story line and was quite honest. Yet, some have expressed over the years that they don't want their own kids exposed to certain elements of which they have a concern.

So, I guess television is out.

In a related topic to the thread, like G Michael asked, I'd like to see a list of corps that have posters available on their websites.