Not to knock against the Phantom Regiment as a corps or an organization ... BUT:

I took two introductory classes on graphic software and spent a limited time farting around photoshop and indesign for my college paper -- and I was terrible at it. I had no visual arts experience and an outsider's understanding of what makes good design.

As someone who spent late nights coming up with last-minute layouts and graphics, I can say with complete confidence that Phantom's show logo looks like it was designed with maybe five minutes of thought. Now, there is a big difference between my poor use of photoshop filters/papyrus font and whoever designed Phantom's logo: I was creating something to compliment a 500 word review on why The Black Eyed Peas' latest album sucked-- NOT SOMETHING TO REPRESENT COUNTLESS OF HOURS OF WORK, COMBINED WITH THE HOPES AND DREAMS OF HUNDREDS OF KIDS SHELLING OUT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

That said: there's 150 members, 20+ staff, and lord knows how many volunteers and support staff with every top corps. There's got to be at least one person in each corps that has a competent background in art and design who would have made something better.

Yes, the show matters above all. But running and promoting a drum corps is a lot like producing and advertising a movie. Would "Jaws" have been as successful if the trailer was just some home-video of a kid playing with a rubber shark toy in the bath?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get this back on track, does anyone think certain possible poster/logo elements aren't appropriate for a youth activity? Is there a difference between the (former) gun and present blood splatter in the Cavaliers' logo and the shooting rifles in Troopers' 2009 poster? Should anyone care? We went through the violence thing with Phantom 2008 and most (including me) agreed it did a great job of contributing to the story line and was quite honest. Yet, some have expressed over the years that they don't want their own kids exposed to certain elements of which they have a concern.

So, I guess television is out.

In a related topic to the thread, like G Michael asked, I'd like to see a list of corps that have posters available on their websites.

Doesn't it ring a bit hollow to hear folks rant about a red splotch on a poster as being inappropriate (or a gun for that matter)? I'm all for bringing out the best in people, but if the violence is to communicate good triumphing over evil (i.e. Spartacus), or if it's a historical depiction of real events, then why the contention?

I wonder how many who are opposed to symbolic violence on the field are watching movies and cheering for the bad guy to succeed in his violent rampage (soapbox--many of our movies today have us rooting for the wrong guy or for someone to circumvent the law in revenge--off soapbox) or are at home playing some of those newfangled bloody Atari games as they gyrate that joystick.

>Preparing to talk outside the other side of my mouth:

I question shows like Spartacus to some degree ONLY because if I were sitting next to a young child, I would hate for them to have unnecessary questions. I know I'm an old-fashioned prude, but I can still remember seeing something when I was about five that has stuck with me for decades. In hindsight it was really pretty benign, but I was just a young lass and very impressionable. I wish I hadn't seen it.

I don't think any of the visual images of these posters rises to that level however.

Edited by Granny Smith

That said: there's 150 members, 20+ staff, and lord knows how many volunteers and support staff with every top corps. There's got to be at least one person in each corps that has a competent background in art and design who would have made something better.

The thing is, a corps should never rely on the hope that they have someone who is competent at graphic design on staff or as a member. If you really do, great, but that's going to be very, very rare...especially for a junior corps.

If a drum corps wants a professional look for logos, posters, show graphics...hire a professional. "You get what you pay for" is most certainly an accurate phrase in the world of publishing. It drives me absolutely crazy when a professional organization isn't willing to hire a professional designer for graphics. And don't get me started on those stupid "logo design contests".

Thankfully, many corps understand this... it's unfortunate that there are those that don't. It goes back to what Granny said in the other thread...be professional in every facet of your organization.

...I can still remember seeing something when I was about five that has stuck with me for decades. In hindsight it was really pretty benign, but I was just a young lass and very impressionable. I wish I hadn't seen it.

Granny:

Was it the burning of Atlanta in "Gone With the Wind?"

Okay, I'm being silly. Back to talking about posters.

Cracked open this thread, thought maybe I'd see some drum corps posters. Saw a handful, and 15 pages of sniping, give/take.

Mods, let's close this thread. We've about sniped this topic to death.

I saw what you did there.

You posted a post to stop posters from posting on posters.

A. I have incriminating photos of some DCP moderators and they know it.

E. Did I mention the photos?

Just remember Mike, there are still some pics of you and that garden hose floating around out there someplace. :tongue:

Just remember Mike, there are still some pics of you and that garden hose floating around out there someplace. :tongue:

I"ve got some framed editions. How many would you like? :tongue:

On to the post-posting posts regarding posting posts about posters and the posters who post them.