Death of the Ballad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My perspective comes from two eras. I marched in late 70's early 80's. It was basically opener, concert and closer. Then life happened and never saw drum corps for years. Kids started marching and I got back into the activity. I was taken aback a little because I was used to the ol skool format. I do like the ballads but... the drumline basically goes on a playing siesta during the ballad which is bothersome to me personally. I like more drumline in the show and the ballad is more hornline driven. Just my opinion.

marching over 180bpm and playing 50,000 notes a measure followed by 10 or 12 arrhythmic stingers does not a ballad make..hence...less ballads.

I'm not that serious. Seriously.

Are you seriously serious about being serious? :blink:

Are we naming things? Okay. The Boxer. My second favorite ballad of 2008. :devil:

:tongue::thumbup::sad::thumbup::tongue::tongue::sad::sad::spitting::sad::worthy::worthy::worthy: One of the BEST parts overall of the 2008 season, espesially the park-and-blow.

Pioneer has a very nice ballad this year...David Foster's The Prayer, with soloists that are very good. One is my son.

I was a late 70s/early 80s drum corps fan when in high school and college, then was away until the late 90s when I started taking my kids. The first thing I noticed was that the standard drumline solos had been replaced with hornline "solos" (i.e. ballads). While I greatly enjoy the beautiful featured hornline ballads I missed the in your face display of drum line skills. What we get now is short bursts of drumline features.

I wouldn't say ballads are disappearing as I remember hearing a lot of great ballad moments last year. But I believe what is happening now with ballads, similar to drumline features, is more of a blending of shorter segments of each to support the overall visual package, furthering the activity's movement to higher visual impact at the cost of great music.

I really hadn’t noticed, maybe I was focused on the death of a drum solo but thinking about it now…both have been shortened a lot and last year, it seems at least 2 corps gave their ballad over to keyboards which I thought created huge lulls in their shows

I’ll have to watch for this now