Teal Sound 2010

A few years ago they barely had members..just be careful..what grows fast falls fast..seems to happen

No doubt that there are definitely growing pains that are experienced as a corps moves up the ranks that must be managed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what was the name of that corps from down South that started off as a Div 2 corps, never won the championship, moved up to Division 1, had no competieive success and then fell apart?

Teal Sound, you are talking about a corps that was Div III several years ago, and now entering World class. Somebody is doing something right down on that Florida /Georgia line.... In the face of so many corps going under going broke, no members etc. Rather than discussing Teals placement in their initial year, a better question would be HOW DID YOU DO IT?

Good luck Teal

The jump to world class is a big one. I have read a few comments here

from people involved with the corps, and I think that they have the right

approach. Many corps have struggled when too much emphasis was placed

on competitive finish in the past.

All Teal needs to do is go out, tour, work very hard, and perform to the

best of their ability. If they do that, they have succeeded, regardless of

competitive finish. I am not selling them short competitively (and I don't

evaluate anyone until I have seen their show), but I think expectations

for anyone's 1st competitive year in world class should be conservative;

if the expectations are exceeded, great. Best of luck to them!

GB

I am not sure anyone is trying to sell them short, but it is hard to know what to expect, as they are now competing against some amazing corps. If you were to put Teal Sound last year against Pioneer and Cascades, they would have come close, but I am not sure they would have beaten either corps. Now that is not to say they won't improve this year, but then Pioneer sounds like they are on the better road with more returning vets than ever.

I thought Teal Sound had a fantastic show last year. I thought it was well written, and well performed. I really hope they can build on that. If they place last, that's fine, if they do better, well great for them. But when you look at the corps they would have to beat in order to make semis, they would have to beat Pioneer, Cascades, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, and someone the likes of Troopers, Crossmen, Academy or Spirit. That is quite the challenge, as all of those corps are very good. Not saying it can't be done, but they are really going to have to perform amazingly well to beat 5 or 6 of those corps.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Teal Sounds puts on the field this summer. I just hope I enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed so many of their shows over the years.

Go Teal Sound!!!

I think, knowing a folk or two there, they, like Surf are very based in reality in making the move. Too often corps jumped on focusing on numbers, and these are two corps that focused on a lot more, which is as it should be.

As always, some very interesting thoughts on what Teal Sound will do this year and in the future. Our goal has always been and will continue to be; give the members an excellent opportunity to enjoy the activity of drum corps, be entertaining and to work hard to become the best we can be as an organization. However that translates into placement, well, time will only tell. What I can tell everyone is that we have a great group of kids, staff, parents, administrators, vendors and excellent support from our fans. In these times of economic difficulties all across the US, our plan is to continue to provide a well-rounded financial and structured program that will be able to withstand the hardships that we all face today and will continue to get stronger with each and every year. Florida needs a program that provides our youth the ability to perform and showcase their talents all across the US and all of us at Teal hope to continue to be able to do that now and well into the future. We look forward to seeing all on the road this summer as we enter this inaugural journey into the World Class level of DCI. Many thanks to all that have wished us success and we are very excited about our opportunity to bring an entertaining product to the fans this season!!

See you on the road!!

Randy

QAuote from the "Mad" Cow.....

"Maybe you should do a search of this board, you’ll see a DCI instructor (with a championship too) claiming that he has specific and direct knowledge of DCI fiddling with corps scores to place one in finals at the expense of another"

Now there is Fiddling on the field? I am so done with this drum corps thing..... :ph34r:

Spartans 87

The Foundation Year

Edited by Spartans87

Now there is Fiddling on the field? I am so done with this drum corps thing..... :ph34r:

Spartans 87

The Foundation Year

Haven't you seen Phantom 2009?