DCI Countdown

well, I think its pretty clear that DCI has goofed once again. The format and little historical has proven to be the killer of attendence.

Way to go DCI!. as i have said befoer, this activity will be gone in several years

Can we all agree that if the intent of this new format was to appeal to a younger fan, that perhaps it's not such a good marketing idea to have the hosts of the show be 2 old guys over 55 ? I mean, com'on ! Where was that snazzy, gorgeous gal that is about 27 that marched Blue Devils ? Why not have her as one of the hosts ?

Dennis DeLucia, one of the hosts, remarked last night " I saw my first Garfield Cadets show in 1957, and at that time, the Garfield Cadets wore a uniform that consisted of..........

Good gawd .. does DCI think this is how to market better to the younger fan now ?

Ouch... good luck. You'll need it.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we all agree that if the intent of this new format was to appeal to a younger fan, that perhaps it's not such a good marketing idea to have the hosts of the show be 2 old guys over 55 ? I mean, com'on ! Where was that snazzy, gorgeous gal that is about 27 that marched Blue Devils ? Why not have her as one of the hosts ?

Dennis DeLucia, one of the hosts, remarked last night " I saw my first Garfield Cadets show in 1957, and at that time, the Garfield Cadets wore a uniform that consisted of..........

Good gawd ...No wonder the younger crowd stayed away.

Agreed.

With all of the talented young people this activity has around they really need to start utilizing it.

I don't understand why volume is an issue. Watching Iron Man 2 last week the theater was practically shaking at times, yet they can't bring up the volume enough to kinda sorta simulate the live music experience? This was a problem when I was at the original countdowns and it seems like they still haven't corrected it.

The volume was fine at my theatre, even thought a little bit more would've been nice, but it was nothing to complain about.

As far as Iron Man, they spent a very long time compiling that together just for the theatre....while the countdown is a live recording, so many variables.

I'm not an audio expert by any means or know a lot about sound recording, but I think the dome ruined the sound a little for the show.

The parts where the any brass was just letting it out were fine they could've been a louder (the audio not the actual members) but if the volume was turned up it would've been too loud for some of the high pitched sounds coming from the from ensemble. (certain cymbal crashes or any metal type equipment )

Same as the classic clips, it was nice a loud due to them being outdoors, but certain metal pitches from the front ensemble was a little loud.

Who knows maybe it was just my ears....i'm 23 btw.

well, I think its pretty clear that DCI has goofed once again. The format and little historical has proven to be the killer of attendence.

Way to go DCI!. as i have said befoer, this activity will be gone in several years

I think the format was great! I think this was the best Count Down Period.

I remember one year (I forget which one) DCI put out a very exciting trailer. I remember kids telling their parents " Mommy can we go see that!" and " Take us to see the Drumline movie!"

This year the trailer was too inside baseball. It appealed to drum corps folks that's it.

I wonder how many people thought the audio was too low at their theater, but no one said anything to the manager about the possibility of turning it up if that were to happen, or suggested to turn it up once it got going? I've found theater managers are receptive to our suggestions, since this presentation is outside their norm.

Mike, I've found the opposite for this event and the QF event to be true, except for the Irvine Spectrum location.

I've seen these events in:

Madison, WI

Las Vegas, NV

Cleveland, OH

Baton Rouge, LA

Burbank, CA

Irvine, CA

Appleton, WI

Kenosha, WI

Northern Va

About 50 people in Brunswick, Maine. I thought this was probably the best Countdown ever.....our video and audio was crystal clear, the surround sound in the theatre was cranking, and I got more "legacy" time than I expected.

I still think Cadets should have creamed EVERYONE in visual, and SCV was definitely the most emotional corps of that group. Not a dry eye in the place after the Troopers feature.

And, in answer to all the texts I got after the show, NO, BAC is not playing Gershwin in the show and YES, they had several tenors missing due to school commmitments.

All in all, two thumbs up! :plain:

I agree with you on The Cadets. A relook at last year's show here 9 months later, and it appeared to me (and to the others in my group of 6), that The Cadets did not seem to get as much mileage out of their demanding visual show with the judges at Finals, than perhaps they should have. That was one challenging, high velocity, drill they had out there, and it appeared to be executed well from the naked eye compared to some other Corps in that upper echelon there at Finals last year. Oh well, we're not judges, and since when did our scoring usually jive with the Judges, anyway.... haha!

Edited by BRASSO

I have only one complaint about the Fathom Countdown commercial that ran prior to the event, and it's one I share with DCI's in-house videos as well. How in the world do you expect to sell an activity that's half music if you don't, you know, actually play music from it? If copyright / cost is the issue, then why not spend a day with a corps recording original, DCI-owned music clips that can be used on their ads from here on out?

I just don't get it. :plain:

Anyways, that's a minor gripe, I know. I'm glad to see that the video quality on the Countdown itself reflected the investment in HD / BR technology. And while I'm also concerned about decreased attendance, it could be more a factor of the # of theaters rather than a commentary on the event itself.

Mike

I have only one complaint about the Fathom Countdown commercial that ran prior to the event, and it's one I share with DCI's in-house videos as well. How in the world do you expect to sell an activity that's half music if you don't, you know, actually play music from it? If copyright / cost is the issue, then why not spend a day with a corps recording original, DCI-owned music clips that can be used on their ads from here on out?

I just don't get it. :plain:

Anyways, that's a minor gripe, I know. I'm glad to see that the video quality on the Countdown itself reflected the investment in HD / BR technology. And while I'm also concerned about decreased attendance, it could be more a factor of the # of theaters rather than a commentary on the event itself.

Mike

Great idea!!!!

Good gawd .. does DCI think this is how to market better to the younger fan now ?

Ouch... good luck. You'll need it.

Great point! :plain:

Having one of the old farts there would be nice for the connection to tradition and historical knowledge, but you are "spot on" about finding some new younger voices/faces for DCI!

"Market to the younger fan...."

DCI never had to pander to me as a kid. Rodinaro was "old" to me when I was 14, and Curt Gowdy and Gene Rayburn were also quite, quite "old". I didn't care.

And if a kid has no respect for Dennis DeLucia because he's "Old", lord knows where we're headed in this activity. the guy's a legend. When I was young, we listened closely to the legends and respected them. Don Warren's in his '90's. Does that mean some young buck in the Cavies ignores him when he speaks about nearly anything? I really doubt that!

They didn't need to make the broadcasts "hip and fresh and exciting."

What was exciting was the freakin' shows themselves!

The shows will sell *themselves* for God's sake if they are inspiring and exciting!

If the actual shows don't sell and inspire- no amount of puff pieces and "up close and personal" and putting that very lovely former BD Guard Captain on the screen (yeah, she is lovely- *sigh*) will save the day.

Or are young people today more swayed by style and packaging over the actual meat and substanive quality!?

If that's the case, Lord knows I tried for many years as an educator to teach them otherwise. Given the way things are right now in this country- maybe I failed.