"Official" 2010 Crown Program Announced

Sounds like a good show, I'm sure I'll love it just like I've loved every Crown show since 2003.

But c'mon people, the meaning behind the show is pretty #### transparent. Let's give the folks at Crown some credit -- they're smart people. They knew exactly how this would be interpreted when it was announced, and if they didn't want it interpreted that way they would have given the show a different title and a different description. Now this doesn't mean they're saying they were cheated out of a ring. These are simply competitive people in a very competitive activity. Good for them for being at least semi-honest about it. I hope they get what they want. :thumbup:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Nimrod fit into the "2nd" theme like all the other music? Is it part of a 2nd _______?

just curious... the OP is all full of 2s, and then there was "Nimrod"

I mean, I know it has 2 syllables...

as well as Elgar’s Nimrod, a classically reflective piece that hints at the Second movement of Beethoven’s Sonata Pathétique.

Hope this helps!

No one suggested they're "somehow above it".

When you say, "And for the record no one at CC seems to think they were cheated," you do two things. You come off as speaking for the entire corps ("no one"), and you try to do so in an official capacity ("for the record"). It's probably a poor choice of words on your part, but again, it can suggest certain things to a reader. Especially to a reader who has heard people state that they did, in fact, feel denied of a title they honestly felt they earned. But whatever, as we both have mentioned, it happens in every corps to some degree.

When you say, "And for the record no one at CC seems to think they were cheated," you do two things. You come off as speaking for the entire corps ("no one"), and you try to do so in an official capacity ("for the record"). It's probably a poor choice of words on your part, but again, it can suggest certain things to a reader. Especially to a reader who has heard people state that they did, in fact, feel denied of a title they honestly felt they earned. But whatever, as we both have mentioned, it happens in every corps to some degree.

Alright -- I thought by saying "seems to think" I was telling you what my impression was rather than stating anything categorically. But as you say I think we already agree.

In any case I'm still pretty excited about the music. Got to hear some stuff at the April camp that (as I said earlier) just put a stupid grin on my face.

Edited by corpsband

You are either trolling, out of touch with reality, or didn't see the last show in LOS last August. BD scored over a 99 last year. If that "sucks", then I am sorry, your standards are simply too high. If a corps "sucks", and scores a 99+, then what do they have to do, to "not suck"? Can you please elaborate?

Maybe you don't think the score deserved to be that high - maybe their GE caption was inflated. That I can accept, as a legitimate criticism of the judging from last year. GE is the most subjective category, and yes, I did think BD's GE score was slightly generous, in that particular category. But the scores in music and visual were entirely appropriate. Their visual execution last year was practically flawless.

But don't try to convince me that they weren't the best corps on the field at LOS. And certainly do not try to convince me that they "sucked". That is simply ludicrous.

Oldschooldbc, It's tongue and cheek.

From their website:

A Second Chance

What if you had the ability to take another shot at a decision, opportunity, or moment? How might choosing a different direction lead to alternate opportunities? .....

Think of the visual possibilities based on these statements. How many different ways are there to lead into OR out of a company front (as one simple example). For Crown MMX, could it look like a visual motif is about to reoccur, but then suddenly it heads in a different direction? Could the same drill set resurface over and over in their show only to resolve/morph/transition differently each time? I don't know, but the show statements just made me think of visual (in addition to the music selections).

I am certainly looking forward to seeing and hearing Crown this year!

Think of the visual possibilities based on these statements. How many different ways are there to lead into OR out of a company front (as one simple example). For Crown MMX, could it look like a visual motif is about to reoccur, but then suddenly it heads in a different direction? Could the same drill set resurface over and over in their show only to resolve/morph/transition differently each time? I don't know, but the show statements just made me think of visual (in addition to the music selections).

I am certainly looking forward to seeing and hearing Crown this year!

Crown to Crown to Crown to Crown to Crown to Crown to Crown to Crown! :thumbup:

Not sure why everyone insists there's a meaning beyond the official show description.

Maybe because last year many claimed their show had a second, more private meaning

anyway

looks like some good musical pick

Oldschooldbc, It's tongue in cheek.

I fixed it for you Fred! "Tongue and cheek" could be gross! :thumbup:

P.S. For Oldschooldbc, Fred does this all summer, so we have to hit him with a rolled up newspaper from time to time. But he's a loveable troll! :tongue:

Edited by Plan9