Changes in DCI?

Unless I missed those posts ( possible), I don't recall reading any posts lately where posters said they " want to see Junior Corps fail ". I recall a single poster on here this week that was in favor of of seeing " DCI (as an organizational structure as presently constituted ) fail ", but that's not the same thing as wanting to see the Junior Drum Corps themselves all fail.

What is " ugly " is to intentionally put into the public square that " posters ( plural ) want to see Junior Corps fail ", when there is no evidence that even a single poster here on DCP said any such thing at all.

Kind of arguing semantics, don't you think? Is there really any other viable junior corps organization besides DCI in the US? At best you obviously know that there is nothing that is absolutely CLOSE to providing the 'service' that DCI offers. I think it's pretty much universally implied that if someone says "I hope this split happens and DCI goes belly up and takes all their bands with them," It is a logical assumption that the poster wants junior corps to fail. Not only that, but the OP arguably expressed malice. Again, the exact quote that we're referencing here is:

QUOTE (dustyboo @ May 14 2010, 02:56 PM)

I have been taking a closer look for the last few years and love the fact that attendance is down. I have moved on, and truthfully I hope this split happens and DCI goes belly up and takes all their bands with them. I just hope that when all these instructors and directors are out of jobs, DCA doesn't let them near their ranks.

That seems obvious that the poster is actually hoping for the demise of DCI (based on their own personal bias on what they personally like from a show design standpoint).

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope that today's shake up put a lid on the coup for now. All I know is I won't be attending any shows sponsored by BD, Cadets, Cavies, SCV, Crown, or Bluecoats this summer. I won't be buying any of their souvies or watching their shows. And I will discourage my students from considering marching with any of these corps.

Out of curiosity, why? Because of speculation on here from mostly uniformed drum corps fans? You're really making that call now, without seeing any of the corps full productions and without seeing any 2010 merchandise?

And I'll respond the same way I did the last time you said this. When the Combine was formed, they broke away from VFW and didn't mind anyone else coming along. In fact they wanted everyone to come along. These 7 don't want anyone to come along. They want everything to themselves. Not quite history repeating.

'm not privy to what is going down, only some rumors that I've heard. And sometimes rumors are only half right. So right now, I don't really know the similarities and differences just yet between 1971 and 2010, only that there was a Combine of 6 or 7 Corps that broke off from their afiliated organization, and that it was primarily due to their intention of receiving more of the gate receipts as a result. Right now, that seems like somewhat of a similarity to me.

Oh and for what it's worth, the vast majority of Corps that attended the first convention of DCI did not vote. They were denied a vote. The overwhelming majority of Corps in attendance were shocked that when they arrived at the meetings, the by laws, proposals, configurations, etc were already discussed. The notion that " The Combine "wanted eveyone to come along " is only true if one accepts the fact that the other Corps had no place else to go once the Combine of elite Corps had burned their bridges with the Veterans Organizations, and that the vast majority of Corps Directors would have no say, not any vote at all, at the first DCI Convention.

Edited by BRASSO

Out of curiosity, why? Because of speculation on here from mostly uniformed drum corps fans? You're really making that call now, without seeing any of the corps full productions and without seeing any 2010 merchandise?

Because those corps think they are the only reason to go to a show and the rest of the corps do not matter. They want all the power and all the money. At least that's what they said in their proposal at the board meeting. I will not support corps that think like that.

Because those corps think they are the only reason to go to a show and the rest of the corps do not matter. They want all the power and all the money. At least that's what they said in their proposal at the board meeting. I will not support corps that think like that.

i-said-what.jpg

Well, it is in " the interpretation ". My interpretaton would be his primary beef is with " DCI ". He is specifically mentioning " DCI to go belly up ". A further reading of the ENTIRE comments Dustypoo made was that he was a advocate of the DCA model for Corps... and said this also in the those same comments of his above ( you deleted here ). The most apt interpretation it seems to me would be that he wants " DCI to go belly up ". His primary beef is with DCI .... not with their " Junior Corps". ( keep in mind that not all" Junior Corps" are members of DCI ). Plus, your post above said " Posters ( plural ) want Junior Corps to fail ". There are no multiple posters calling for " Junior Corps to fail ". Even Dustypoo's primary angst is with the structure of the organization of DCI.
He hates DCI and loves DCA.
That's his central point that can be garnered from his remarks above, Mike.

So you are really making the (illogical, IMO) argument that "hating" (your words, not his, to be fair) DCI and "loving" DCA means something to the effect of "I hope DCI goes belly up, but I hope that the VERY few junior corps not under DCI's umbrella thrive?" That seems pretty thin, IMO.

Lets say the average DCI-sponsored show has at least 7 corps in it (remember, even though Open Class corps might not have official DCI membership status, for all intents and purposes that are DCI corps and perform their field show for adjudication almost exclusively at DCI sponsored and run events using DCI sheets and competitive criteria). Can you name at least 7 non-DCI World or Open class corps that compete exclusively outside of DCI?

Until we hear otherwise, we have to trust that the thinking by these 6, 7 Corps is not about greed, power, money.

They are doing it......" for the kids ".

I was under the impression that DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS WAS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION........

I suggest that we keep it that way.........

The majority of the fans say thank-you !!!

And I'll respond the same way I did the last time you said this. When the Combine was formed, they broke away from VFW and didn't mind anyone else coming along. In fact they wanted everyone to come along. These 7 don't want anyone to come along. They want everything to themselves. Not quite history repeating.

Not only that, but seven corps leaving DCI would take away a third of the World Class corps. That's a pretty substantial loss. Plus, it seems hard enough for DCI to find enough shows for the relatively few (compared to when The Combine first formed) corps touring. There was a Vegas show that was not a DCI sanctioned show, and I think they had, what, 3 or 4 corps participate? I wonder what performance options would be available for non-DCI corps looking to leave DCI altogether.