Changes in DCI?

I never said he couldn't say it, but why would he?

Oh, I hope you know I agree with you in your POV. However, there are a few here who just want to see junior corps fail, for their own internal reasons. They have the right to say so, as ugly as it looks.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arguing and personal attacks over improbable, hypothetical situations

Sounds like a U.S. Senate debate on balancing the federal budget. :devil:

Fran

According to the DCW Fcebook post "We will report on what went on -- as we understand it -- in the June issue, and then plan to continue to expand upon the story online as news becomes available."

So when does the June issue come out?

Ha; so is this all a ploy to try and get readers? I know I'm interested, and obviously a lot of others are as well, judging from the hits on this thread. While I don't know the person on facebook making these claims, but this seems like a bit of hyperbole in order to gain readers. "GROUND BREAKING NEWS!! that we will publish in June so make sure you keep interest and buy/click the site." Maybe I'm a little jaded, and if this moves papers then good for DCW.

Ha; so is this all a ploy to try and get readers? I know I'm interested, and obviously a lot of others are as well, judging from the hits on this thread. While I don't know the person on facebook making these claims, but this seems like a bit of hyperbole in order to gain readers. "GROUND BREAKING NEWS!! that we will publish in June so make sure you keep interest and buy/click the site." Maybe I'm a little jaded, and if this moves papers then good for DCW.

I doubt Steve is trying to drum up readers. Because of DCW's publication schedule, it's not exactly a venue for breaking news. He's just teasing a story that is indeed brewing, and that he'll have details on later. The nuts and bolts of the story will likely be posed, discussed and rehashed a hundred times here on DCP before the June issue of DCW hits mailboxes. Steve probably has an exclusive interview or two that will set his coverage apart. It's how he's managed to stay in business in an age when publications like DCW are folding left and right.

That's not quite a scoop. This article I wrote was posted on DCI.org back on January 23rd,followed a few hours later by this article about the final vote.

A line in the first article stated, "The major changes were in the development of less specific language regarding what can take place during the allocated time, with no limits placed on the creative elements eligible for those five minutes..."

A line in the second article stated, "In short, the corps will be able to utilize that pre-show time however they may wish."

None of this should be a surprise all these months later, unless we experienced a mass :devil:.

While your articles were the first bit of detail about the rules changes, they understandably did not contain any of the more heated discussion that went on between DCI World Class directors. You did a great job giving us the facts of the rules changes. The DCW article added to your news by bringing the slant of debate: essentially giving us both sides of the argument by showcasing the originator or the rule change as well as one of the two dissenting opinions. I didn't see a date on the DCW story, and don't know how recent the article is. But the article quoted by the poster you responded to is the featured article on Drum Corps World's front page, which would imply perhaps their most recent article (I admittedly don't read drum corps world at all, and don't know if this is 'old hat' or a current 'point/counter-point' type article about the newest controversial rule change).

I doubt Steve is trying to drum up readers. Because of DCW's publication schedule, it's not exactly a venue for breaking news. He's just teasing a story that is indeed brewing, and that he'll have details on later. The nuts and bolts of the story will likely be posed, discussed and rehashed a hundred times here on DCP before the June issue of DCW hits mailboxes. Steve probably has an exclusive interview or two that will set his coverage apart. It's how he's managed to stay in business in an age when publications like DCW are folding left and right.

That's cool. When I marched, and for years prior I read DCW pretty extensively. I no longer read it, mostly because I either know drum corps staffers and directors who usually spill the beans before it hits the public, or DCP (or other websites) break the news as it happens. I honestly haven't visited DCW's website in years before this thread was started. Thanks for clarifying; I'm interesting to hear about the news.

FWIW, I found the article on DCW's front page currently to be very insightful. I appreciate that the writer included both sides of the controversial rule change. The article reminded me why I appreciated DCW back in the day: glad to see the quality writing hasn't changed! :devil:

While your articles were the first bit of detail about the rules changes, they understandably did not contain any of the more heated discussion that went on between DCI World Class directors. You did a great job giving us the facts of the rules changes. The DCW article added to your news by bringing the slant of debate: essentially giving us both sides of the argument by showcasing the originator or the rule change as well as one of the two dissenting opinions. I didn't see a date on the DCW story, and don't know how recent the article is. But the article quoted by the poster you responded to is the featured article on Drum Corps World's front page, which would imply perhaps their most recent article (I admittedly don't read drum corps world at all, and don't know if this is 'old hat' or a current 'point/counter-point' type article about the newest controversial rule change).

True about the lack of extensive details, because that wasn't the purpose of the quick release. But I was referring (or at least trying to do so) to the point that from the very beginning, it was mentioned that there would be no limits placed on the creative elements for those five minutes of pre-show, and that the corps could utilize that pre-show time however they wished. That's why I was somewhat surprised when someone mentioned they weren't aware of that, sensing they felt it was kept a secret from the public.

That's why I was somewhat surprised when someone mentioned they weren't aware of that, sensing they felt it was kept a secret from the public.

Too true. It's also not like we didn't discuss the matter extensively over the winter while the rules congress was going on...

Oh, I hope you know I agree with you in your POV. However, there are a few here who just want to see junior corps fail, for their own internal reasons. They have the right to say so, as ugly as it looks.

Unless I missed those posts ( possible), I don't recall reading any posts lately where posters said they " want to see Junior Corps fail ". I recall a single poster on here this week that was in favor of of seeing " DCI (as an organizational structure as presently constituted ) fail ", but that's not the same thing as wanting to see the Junior Drum Corps themselves all fail.

What is " ugly " is to intentionally put into the public square that " posters ( plural ) want to see Junior Corps fail ", when there is no evidence that even a single poster here on DCP said any such thing at all.

Edited by BRASSO

That's cool. When I marched, and for years prior I read DCW pretty extensively. I no longer read it, mostly because I either know drum corps staffers and directors who usually spill the beans before it hits the public, or DCP (or other websites) break the news as it happens. I honestly haven't visited DCW's website in years before this thread was started. Thanks for clarifying; I'm interesting to hear about the news.

FWIW, I found the article on DCW's front page currently to be very insightful. I appreciate that the writer included both sides of the controversial rule change. The article reminded me why I appreciated DCW back in the day: glad to see the quality writing hasn't changed! :devil:

DCW is still one great publication. Back when I was marching, it was just about the only way to get "news". While that's no longer the case, it's still a fantastic resource for feature articles, show reviews and the like. I still buy the summer issues on tour and read them on the bus. There's something cool about passing the latest issue of DCW around between tour stops...that's one thing that hasn't changed since I started marching in the mid 80's.