Changes in DCI?

Wondering why we have not seen Michael Boo or the DCI/DCP Liasion Bob Jacobs making any comments on this issue.

Some people here have thier own inside info on this situation, all I know is, if what I have been told is true, this may be a major shake up and a new crossroad for this activity to either excel or fall flat on thier faces.

Counting the hours till the offical press release..........

Edited by CT-Horn

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance this could be related to the "technical issue" that is keeping DCI from announcing the new Open Class corps and adding them to the schedule? DCI has updated their website and posted news articles so I am unclear what "technical issue" is keeping them from posting this news.

Unless I missed those posts ( possible), I don't recall reading any posts lately where posters said they " want to see Junior Corps fail ". I recall a single poster on here this week that was in favor of of seeing " DCI (as an organizational structure as presently constituted ) fail ", but that's not the same thing as wanting to see the Junior Drum Corps themselves all fail.

What is " ugly " is to intentionally put into the public square that " posters ( plural ) want to see Junior Corps fail ", when there is no evidence that even a single poster here on DCP said any such thing at all.

Read the whole thread. If you had , you would have seen the post and not written these comments.

Unless I missed those posts ( possible), I don't recall reading any posts lately where posters said they " want to see Junior Corps fail ". I recall a single poster on here this week that was in favor of of seeing " DCI (as an organizational structure as presently constituted ) fail ", but that's not the same thing as wanting to see the Junior Drum Corps themselves all fail.

What is " ugly " is to intentionally put into the public square that " posters ( plural ) want to see Junior Corps fail ", when there is no evidence that even a single poster here on DCP said any such thing at all.

Dustyboo said this..."I hope this split happens and DCI goes belly up and takes all their bands with them. " Sorry, but my interpretation is that he wants to see junior corps fail.

Read the whole thread. If you had , you would have seen the post and not written these comments.

Mike, your direct quote here is " posters want Junior Corps to fail ".

I read all of this thread. I see no posters that are in favor of, nor called for," the failure of Junior Corps".

If you want to cite a)the posters who said such a thing as calling for" the failure of Junior Corps" ( not the failure" of DCI", ) then I will amend my remarks.

However, if you can not cite the posters on this thread ( date and time might help for us to view such alleged " Junior Corps fail "remarks ), then I would expect that you would likewise amend your remarks to reflect what has been said.

The reason people can get angry here is when a remark is made wily nilly ie" posters want Junior Corps to fail " and it is not challeged for it's veracity. Such a remark left unchallenged, would naturally inflame ( unneccessarily, imo ) some people here, when you post something that is inflammatory, ie " posters want Junior Corps to fail " when that is not what has been expressed by anyone at all on this thread.

Edited by BRASSO

True about the lack of extensive details, because that wasn't the purpose of the quick release. But I was referring (or at least trying to do so) to the point that from the very beginning, it was mentioned that there would be no limits placed on the creative elements for those five minutes of pre-show, and that the corps could utilize that pre-show time however they wished. That's why I was somewhat surprised when someone mentioned they weren't aware of that, sensing they felt it was kept a secret from the public.

I TOTALLY agree with you, and my first reaction was one of "how can that be the big scoop, when it was published on DCI's article pretty much as it happened live?!" I was merely trying to find the logic (and maybe explain in my own opinion) why some one wrote that.

And believe me when I tell you that I appreciate your quick news reports from important events. When I marched in the late 90's what I read the day of (or maybe after?) the event I would've had to have waited at least a month to read in a print newspaper mailed to us monthly. I think perhaps the OP you originally replied to might have thought it was the scoop on a power struggle since the article he read depicted the opposing view points of two DCI WC directors. I don't think that's the actual scoop (though I obviously could be wrong), just stipulating someone's possible thought process (lord knows how dangerous it is for ANY of us to guess what people's thoughts are around here :devil:)

DCW is still one great publication. Back when I was marching, it was just about the only way to get "news". While that's no longer the case, it's still a fantastic resource for feature articles, show reviews and the like. I still buy the summer issues on tour and read them on the bus. There's something cool about passing the latest issue of DCW around between tour stops...that's one thing that hasn't changed since I started marching in the mid 80's.

Freaking awesome to hear that one of the REAL drum corps traditions that has lasted from generation to generation is still in full force. It was always a fun time to see the latest issue of DCW get passed my way on the bus and the tradition would begin: first you look for your corps' show reviews, then read about the point spread of your competitors, then the point spread of the corps gunning for the Championship, then whatever the comic was (I remember it was The Rookie for at least a little while) and finally any article that didn't have anything to do with the current season's shows. The best was when I actually bought the latest issue and got to read all of the 'news' before anyone else: always fun to be the guy on tour who knew was was going one and everyone grilled you for updates.

(do you like how I'm inadvertently throwing this a little off track)

Wondering why we have not seen Michael Boo or the DCI/DCP Liasion Bob Jacobs making any comments on this issue.

Some people here have thier own inside info on this situation, all I know is, if what I have been told is true, this may be a major shake up and a new crossroad for this activity to either excel or fall flat on thier faces.

Counting the hours till the offical press release..........

Let's hope that today's shake up put a lid on the coup for now. All I know is I won't be attending any shows sponsored by BD, Cadets, Cavies, SCV, Crown, or Bluecoats this summer. I won't be buying any of their souvies or watching their shows. And I will discourage my students from considering marching with any of these corps.

Freaking awesome to hear that one of the REAL drum corps traditions that has lasted from generation to generation is still in full force.

I think for the kids today it's not much more than a curiosity, especially when you see them all get out their iPhones and read DCP after shows :)

Thankfully, the kids in my drum corps have a yearning to learn the history of the activity. They are always asking about the "old days" and how things were 10, 20, 30 years ago. Hopefully, this is the case in every corps.