Does this pass the sniff test?

If its real, they seem to have gotten a lot done under the radar without anyone noticing... plans to purchase a new cooktruck, set up with wynne coaches...

plus somebody on their percussion staff (arranger? instructor? i forget which) is a full time undergrad

I honestly couldn't say if this passes the sniff test or not. I'd have to do more sniffing. One red flag that came to mind was that the corps is described as being the only corps from Indiana in the DCI circuit - they use the present tense in their claim, which is kind of odd since they aren't actually fielding a corps currently. Does DCI know about this corps, and if not does DCI know this corps is invoking their name (seemingly to lend them legitimacy)?

Anyway, if you really have questions, email the director and find out more.

I believe that their claim is accurate since, to my knowledge, the Scouts

are still officially based in Madison Wisconsin, even though they rehearse in Indiana.

Thanks for the reply on that. I really appreciated your clearing that up for me regarding The Scouts. :devil:

I counted 5 people working with trumpets. Does a corps really need 5 people working with any section other than maybe percussion?

Yes sir!

One instructor for each valve, and two more to teach how to properly work the 1st and 3rd valve slides and the spit valves.

(My apologies--Baritone Humor. We're lucky if we get ANYONE to teach us at ALL because no one likes teaching the goofballs...)

:devil:

• Like 2

Yes sir!

One instructor for each valve, and two more to teach how to properly work the 1st and 3rd valve slides and the spit valves.

(My apologies--Baritone Humor. We're lucky if we get ANYONE to teach us at ALL because no one likes teaching the goofballs...)

:devil:

Sounds complicated to me. 5 trumpet people? We all know the egos would get in the way and a fistfight would ensue and nothing would get done because everyone would have a way of doing better because they are trumpet players, which according to my girlfriend, are apparently jerks with big egos, but what does she know? She plays mellophone, which is inferior to our screaming awesomeness. :happy:

Anyway, if you really have questions, email the director and find out more.

Oh I did. Here's the first 1/2 of his response.

"I would agree that the staff is fairly young, but that is one of the many factors of why Eclipse will be so successful. If you take a look at the staff page, you'll see that the staff comes from different World Class programs all over the country. These programs like all others, have their faults and Eclipse is learning from its staff how to operate the corps more smoothly than the prior programs they have been involved with.

I'm happy to say that Eclipse has amazing sponsors, including Gatorade, the Lilly Foundation, and Jupiter Instruments. Although not all funding is accounted for, most, almost 75 % of the $1.6 million budget is. Eclipse will be one of a few full "Jupiter" corps, marching with Jupiter Brass, Mapex percussion, and Majestic front equipment. These instruments will be paid for before any dues come into the program. We have many fundraisers throughout the year not including a bingo program. The Board of Directors of Eclipse have come up with "out-of-the-box" fundraising programs that will actually enable the corps to bring in more capital.

As for the 50 mile rule, there is no such thing. There is however a rule regarding the distance between corps, which is no problem because we are the only program in the state of Indiana.

The organization of Eclipse is not entirely brand new. The Eclipse organization has been around for a little over a year, performing at various activities in the area. Our volunteers have come from many other organizations in the activity which is why Eclipse has stated "Ask many long-time boosters who started as volunteers why they are now staunch Eclipse supporters." This means that our boosters started voulnteering for the corps like the Cavies, Phantom Regiment, Glassmen, etc. Anyone who has been involved with the activity would understand that comment."

Well....It didn't help my concerns...lets just say that. Rumor mill tells me there was a guy at Madison last year who claimed to go to Carmel H.S...?....and that this may be him. He's also the president of the board.

I forwarded the site to DCI, because I thought there has to be some sort of etiquette about claiming a DCI tour in 2011. It doesn't seem fair to other new corps who are more than 6 weeks old.

~M