Does this pass the sniff test?

Alright, let's keep the political discussion to a minimum, folks.

A older university baseball batting coach helps a rising university student star batter; the team does well, and the batter has the ninth best batting average in the nation. The university player, while still in university, decides that he is now well versed in baseball and goes off to become the Head Coach and Administrator of a brand new professional baseball team which is going to compete in the MLB. He asks his university batting coach to come work for him on the professional team under his leadership. The older coach a) councils the young lad by guiding him into understanding that there is way more for him to learn before jumping into being a Head Coach and Administrator for a MLB organization; that without more experience on the administrative level, it will more than likely fail; or b) the older gentleman says, yep, I will be your batting coach. Which of these two demonstrates wiser council and discernment from the sage?

Stu we are on the same page in all of this. Sometimes it is hard to tell someone something when they are not yet ready to hear it.

As a musician, my main focus is upon writing and recording original music, and also on my live performances (which due to my health issues are becoming more rare). My volunteer work in Dc/Band comes second. Outside of my drum corps and band world I do have a real life , and at this point in my life my family really needs me. My family priorities come before my volunteer work. In the real world my sister in law almost died, had a liver transplant, kidney dialysis , with a million and a half + in hospital bills. Another sister in laws husband died. My father in law has had to be put in a secured nursing home in the last month , he has dementia. My brothers wife left him. My step father has had two bypasses. My mother in law is 78, and soon she will not be able to care for her 52 year old mentally ######## son, who will in the next five years become my wife and my responsibility(he will move in with us). My mother just had serious back surgery and is in great pain, and my brother was injured in a car accident today. So, welcome to my real world.

debbie_downer.jpg

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Stu we are on the same page in all of this. Sometimes it is hard to tell someone something when they are not yet ready to hear it.

Most 5 year old children are not ready to hear the truth about the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, or David Hasselhoff. So, by your volition, this 19-year old was not ready to hear that telling lies about staff, setting up accounts to bilk money from perspective members, and making up countless other stories in order to persuade someone to act a certain way and pay for services that you were smart enough to know would never be rendered....was wrong?

It sounds like larceny to me. Maybe when he was 21, he would be ready to hear it?

Actually, on second thought, your statement indicates that your implicit knowledge of the person in question (based on your other glowing comments about him and the fact that you were willing to be on the teaching staff) lies in stark contrast to the comment that "they (he) is not yet ready to hear it." So, this guy is ready to lead a million dollar business/corps but isn't emotionally or psychologically ready to hear that his efforts are futile?

Maybe your comment was closer to the mark and it was "hard" for you to tell him.

Most 5 year old children are not ready to hear the truth about the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, or David Hasselhoff. So, by your volition, this 19-year old was not ready to hear that telling lies about staff, setting up accounts to bilk money from perspective members, and making up countless other stories in order to persuade someone to act a certain way and pay for services that you were smart enough to know would never be rendered....was wrong?

It sounds like larceny to me. Maybe when he was 21, he would be ready to hear it?

Actually, on second thought, your statement indicates that your implicit knowledge of the person in question (based on your other glowing comments about him and the fact that you were willing to be on the teaching staff) lies in stark contrast to the comment that "they (he) is not yet ready to hear it." So, this guy is ready to lead a million dollar business/corps but isn't emotionally or psychologically ready to hear that his efforts are futile?

Maybe your comment was closer to the mark and it was "hard" for you to tell him.

Thanks Elmo! Honestly, when I began to engage discussion with Howdy, I had no preconceived notions concerning his views. But now, like Joe Pesci said in the movie My Cousin Vinny to a witness that just got whipped into embarrassment, “I’m done with this guy”.

I see things a little bit differently. Chris meant well, he had no intentions of defrauding anyone, and since nobody sent him any money, no one is out any money. When it comes to drum corps, things are different. Directors are driven to succeed, and they by nature are driven to paint good pictures of their corps. I said it before and I will say it again, it is easy to criticize a drum corps director, and it is extremely difficult to be a drum and bugle corps director. I do not think Chris was being a liar, but perhaps he is guilty of being too ambitious, and for being too positive about the actual condition of his drum corps. Most corps should START SLOW AND SMALL. But DCI is an activity where the top 6 corps are worshiped, and all of the other corps on down the list are under-appreciated, and at times even unfairly criticized and ridiculed. But today drum corps is about winning, it is not about participation. Like it or not, that is the DCI that has been created, so many new corps directors are motivated to paint their new corps start ups as future DCI winners.

As for Chris, I believe that I could help him better from within his organization than from the outside. I did not want Chris to fail. I will not mention any names, but Chris did have some excellent long time DCI people that advised him. Did I try to steer Chris in the right direction, yes , but Chris was driven by what DCI is, all about winning, and Chris wanted to win more than he wanted to be. Welcome to today's DCI. When I was the director of Heritage I wanted participation , and I wanted Heritage to become Spirits feeder corps. Many people believe that that is the reason that I failed to get Heritage on the field.

Stu, think of it this way, I have been on trips where I listened to people, even adults brag about how they were going to ride a big coaster for hours and hours. Then, when they get to the line and take a serious look into the reality of the coaster, they hop out of line. People do not always see things the way that they really are until hit with good doses of reality. Do you get that Stu?

Edited by Howdy
  • Haha 1

I've just come in. Have I missed anything?

I've just come in. Have I missed anything?

No. Go back to bed.

• Haha 1

Stu I do not believe that discrimination of any kind belongs in drum corps. This includes age , sexual orientation, disability, race, religion, or any other kind of illegal discrimination.

Chris Nagy is an excellent young man. Perhaps he was a little too

ambitious.

Chris Nagy did what many older adults such as I (Heritage 1993-1994) and Kevin Smith

(Chattahoochee Sound Association 1981)

and many others have have done. Chris was unable to field a drum

corps.

I admire and respect Chris Nagy (not counting Madison) for trying to

offer kids a chance to march in a drum corps from Indiana. Indiana

needs a drum and bugle corps. Instead of throwing stones at Chris

Nagy, we all should be trying to help him achieve all of his dreams.

I'm going to cry foul Howdy. Many of your past posts on RAMD screamed for discrimination of certain types of folks in life. many of those folks you screamed about participate in drum corps.

• Thanks 1