Out of the Mouths of Babes

A 10 year old not knowing...ooo pleaseeeeeeee thats as absurd as some of the other comments. I dont like woodwinds either but are you joking. Now if the 10 year old said He thought that was the future of DC you would have said what the hell does a 10 year old know especially about DC history. :blink:

My 10 year old has been to countless local shows and 9 finals. He's read the Cavies history, he's read Not For The Faint Of Heart (twice), He's read Vickers' History of Drum Corps, is on his third viewing of Hell Bent For Victory, has watched all (and I mean ALL) of my Legacy Collection (some repeatedly), and spends hours watching FN videos. Two days a year we reserve for going to watch practice days before local shows. We spend hours talking about touring. He goes with me when I fund-raise or sell ads for our local show.

And he knows the difference between music on the field with woodwinds and without.

If this 10 year old said he thought it was the future of drum corps and he wanted to march anyway, he'd have said so and I'd have fully supported him even if it were not "drum corps" to me.

I think you'd be surprised at what 10 year olds know, in general, and this one in specific when the subject is drum corps or classical music.

Edited by garfield

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point, and I'm by no means calling you or your 10 year old out. But how do we know what drum corps sounds like with WW? Because we know what high school marching bands sound like? Well, I know what an orchestra sounds like by going to the local high school, why should I bother going to the Chicago Symphony?

Don't get me wrong, I am not for WW in the judged portion of drum corps. However, I find it a little odd to hear comments like this. But, out of a 10 year old, I can smile about it. Out of a 40 year old, seems a little short sighted.

What is shortsighted and extremely unfortunate is that those who are so desperate (OMG :blink: ) to see MB on a WC DC level are willing to eliminate one activity to make way for another that already exists. Are you seriously telling me BOA isn't good enough for you to see what high quality marching bands look like? I imagine a few participants of that activity would find their birds inadvertently flying in your direction at that notion, and it is really such a pathetic reasoning for adding woodwinds to DC. And lets clarify, there is no adding WW to DC, because when that happens DC ceases to exist. Just because some people will continue to call it DC doesn't mean it will be. There comes a time to draw a line in the sand and say vehemently that THIS change is not acceptable, THIS change, changes the activity TOO much.

Jesus, not another thread on Woodwinds. :blink:

Well, we haven't had one this week until now.

Interesting point, and I'm by no means calling you or your 10 year old out. But how do we know what drum corps sounds like with WW? Because we know what high school marching bands sound like? Well, I know what an orchestra sounds like by going to the local high school, why should I bother going to the Chicago Symphony?

Don't get me wrong, I am not for WW in the judged portion of drum corps. However, I find it a little odd to hear comments like this. But, out of a 10 year old, I can smile about it. Out of a 40 year old, seems a little short sighted.

Thanks for the complimentary assumption; I'm 50, not 40.

But your argument is misplaced and would be better used to compare Open Class to World Class. You know what drum corps sounds like because you've seen the local OC corps practice, so why bother buying tickets to World Class finals?

Rather, to use your analogy, if I enjoy the Chicago Symphony and they suddenly decide a strategic vision to have some punk rock band perform with them for every show, all season, would I still enjoy the Chicago Symphony? If they promised to only let the punk band play for half the show, or the first few minutes, I'd still plug my ears as I run out to the bathroom and concession stand. If the punk band plays the whole show I'm not going back.

I would consider it shortsighted only if I were to never pay any attention to the activity again and miss a rule change that eliminates WW's from the competition.

Seems to me that this 10.. lets make him 15..right at the age of trying out for a corps.... knows what drum and BUGLE corps is...

This just may be a scenerio... but hey... It says alot !!!!! With all that kids today have to choose from, as compared to those in

their late 20' to whatever age now......... to keep this aspect of the music would, they need to know that this a drum and bugle

corps...... meaning bugle.. as in bflat or G ... as in trumpet/french horn/trombone/baritone/tuba/flugelhorn/melo...whatever... to keep this

kid interested in this outlet... lets just keep this activity AS IS ! imho....

Edited by AmmerMP

My 10 year old has been to countless local shows and 9 finals. He's read the Cavies history, he's read Not For The Faint Of Heart (twice), He's read Vickers' History of Drum Corps, is on his third viewing of Hell Bent For Victory, has watched all (and I mean ALL) of my Legacy Collection (some repeatedly), and spends hours watching FN videos. Two days a year we reserve for going to watch practice days before local shows. We spend hours talking about touring. He goes with me when I fund-raise or sell ads for our local show.

And he knows the difference between music on the field with woodwinds and without.

If this 10 year old said he thought it was the future of drum corps and he wanted to march anyway, he'd have said so and I'd have fully supported him even if it were not "drum corps" to me.

I think you'd be surprised at what 10 year olds know, in general, and this one in specific when the subject is drum corps or classical music.

This was no disrepect to a 10 yr old thats not the point here but theres a reason 10 year olds dont make decisions also.

Seems to me that this 10.. lets make him 15..right at the age of trying out for a corps.... knows what drum and BUGLE corps is...

This just may be a scenerio... but hey... It says alot !!!!! With all that kids today have to choose from, as compared to those in

their late 20' to whatever age now......... to keep this aspect of the music would, they need to know that this a drum and bugle

corps...... meaning bugle.. as in bflat or F... as in trumpet/french horn/trombone/baritone/tuba/flugelhorn/melo...whatever... to keep this

kid interested in this outlet... lets just keep this activity AS IS ! imho....

hmmm interesting thought, Just wondering how people would feel with other BRASS on the field ..like Trombones, sax, a true french horn interesting

hmmm interesting thought, Just wondering how people would feel with other BRASS on the field ..like Trombones, sax, a true french horn interesting

Sax is a reed instrument. It's a woodwind. But for the sake of your interesting question...I could get used to trombones, or tromboniums (My uncle is principal trombone for the Springfield symphony and my brother's BS is in trombone performance with a teaching degree. I might be a little biased with trombones). And a true french horn would be interesting, too, if you could keep the darn thing in tune. They are brass instruments. I wouldn't quit drum corps as a result of their inclusion any more than I thought to when they went any-key.

No sax, clarinet, flute, oboe, double-bassoon, etc.

Thereby it's unique.

Edited by garfield

hey there... we're not agreeing again today....

this 15 year old ....trying out for a drum corps KNOWS that this organization consists ofcertain

brass instruments......... and no, sax is not one of them... this kid KNOWS what drum and BUGLE corps

is..... he doesnt realize that this organization is WHERE IT IS TODAY BECAUSE OF STERN RULES ON THE WORD BUGLE.

Corps said...." these are the bugles we play.............. and lets get you practicing on one of them... "

Thats what I would hope a kid steming out into the music world - looking into D&B... would realize.......