New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

remember, you can voice your displeasure at the souvie booths and by booing.

Summer 2010 is your chance to make sure these 7 corps know what you think about this proposal.

Booing mostly just hurts the kids who had nothing to do with the decision. Avoiding souvie booths is a better idea, and isn't likely to shut them down entirely since they presumably would already be gaining more than their share of finances anyway.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because it clearly sets the standard. It says "this is the framework in which to work if you want to be doing this."

Some corps don't even WANT this! They are perfectly fine catering to a younger membership (Glassmen come to mind). All this G7 will do is make it much clearer to everyone (including fans) what the current State of the Art is in modern Drum and Bugle Corps. I'm pretty sure the G7 directors are in full agreement on Woodwinds already too.

This will not reduce members. No matter what, the given auditioning membership every year will be what it will be. It will go up or down based on all kinds of factors that wont change with this G7 concept. Maybe, if anything, MORE kids will aspire to march a "G7" corps. And if they don't make it,they'll either march a nonG7 corps or not march at all...as already happens!

I firmly believe the G7 originators would love for it to be a G21 someday.

Again, I ask - why change it then?

Edited by papasmurf

Yes, because it clearly sets the standard. It says "this is the framework in which to work if you want to be doing this."

Some corps don't even WANT this! They are perfectly fine catering to a younger membership (Glassmen come to mind). All this G7 will do is make it much clearer to everyone (including fans) what the current State of the Art is in modern Drum and Bugle Corps. I'm pretty sure the G7 directors are in full agreement on Woodwinds already too.

This will not reduce members. No matter what, the given auditioning membership every year will be what it will be. It will go up or down based on all kinds of factors that wont change with this G7 concept. Maybe, if anything, MORE kids will aspire to march a "G7" corps. And if they don't make it,they'll either march a nonG7 corps or not march at all...as already happens!

I firmly believe the G7 originators would love for it to be a G21 someday.

I was buying your argument until the last line. If you really believe that you are deluded.

Which of the seven corps directors do you think is God? :devil::lookaround:

Well, if someone asks if you are a god, you say YES

Question...... Maybe it was said and I misssed it so if i did miss it im sorry for the repeat. Will the 7 have the same rules or a set of thier own.... or all the rules out the window..just wondering

We havn't even touched on the issue on how this will ultimately effect the scores and placements on the field of competition this year..... next year.... and down the road. Judges know who signs the front of the judges paychecks, and they'll know who the " Top Acts " that have been slotted together by DCI into the 7 on Finals Night this year too.

Would anyone here be shocked if all 7 of these Corps finish in the top 7 on Finals Night this year, despite other Corps perhaps beating some of them during the course of the season, up to and including the Semi- Finals ?

Edited by BRASSO

I repeat, what's wrong with keeping a "top 7" as a part of the top 12 i.e. the way things are?

You can find excellence becoming stagnant. This is an odd reference, but take comedy movies. Anchorman and Talladega Nights were largely found hilarious. Then Will Ferrell and crew kept making movies with the same style of humor, in Semi-Pro and Step Brothers (not as good of an example) and saw the same humor to be old and worn out.

It wouldn't be excellent if it was stagnant.

I find the board rebuilding most suspect.

Hoppy wrote a long, "detailed" report and presented it to the board who voted and approved it as a matter of discussion

people got so upset that they dissolved half the board?

what is the point of having the board to begin with if you will just dissolve it if you don't like what is said

regardless of the content the g7 could have started doing what ever they wanted without talking with dci and going through official channels. those corps already run the most and the biggest corps run shows- they could have just agreed to only go to each others events and created a whole little world on their own.

instead they do the right thing with their idea and present it through the proper channels.

the board was not all g7 (it was in my dci program from last year and i don't remember who it was but I remember I didn't recognize a number of the people) and could have easily voted it down and that would be that but they approved it.

someone said in an early post that the representatives in the room know more than any of us so isn't safe to assume there was a reason they voted yes to begin with?

people got their feelings hurt so instead of continuing through the proper development of ideas and propsals instead they kick off everyone who has a different opinion.

no one is walking away clean, on any side of the argument.

We havn't even touched on the issue on how this will ultimately effect the scores and placements on the field of competition this year..... next year.... and down the road. Judges know who signs the front of the judges paychecks, and they'll know who the " Top Acts " that have been slotted into the 7 on Finals Night this year too.

Would anyone here be shocked if all 7 of these Corps finish in the top 7 on Finals Night this year, despite other Corps perhaps beating some of them during the course of the season, up to and including the Semi- Finals ?

Yes :lookaround:

Hoppy wrote a long, "detailed" report and presented it to the board who voted and approved it as a matter of discussion

If you've ever sat on a board of directors, you'd know it's very easy, if not a forgone conclusion that any matter raised by a sitting member will be added to the agenda. For all we know, the presentation could have been called "Power Point by George".