• against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

G7 shows will draw bigger crowds than top 12 shows within a few years. Instant encores, fan participation, fan judging. It will be pretty wild and wildly competitive. I'll flat out state that I'll rarely attend a show that isn't G7, it means I won't have to search through the schedule to find shows with at least 4 top corps. The marketing of all this will be so money.

Actually - there was a vote. Whether you want to call it a presentation or a proposal, take your pick.

You are correct 4 of 9 is a minority. But - it is a heck of a running head start when trying to get a proposal / presentation passed. The real vote is amongst the other 5 members. Unless the other 5 Board members vote unanimously against a proposal, it passes.

funny how the article seems to mention the 4 of the g7 recused themselves from the bod but doesnt mention that they first voted in favor of the proposal. i think that's a major detail and wouldve been in the article.

There are plenty of instances in the article from Fiedler stating that the future of the activity is an explicit goal. Reference this line:

"With a plan in place, the goal is to increase the overall quality level and stability of all corps, as well as over time to increase the number of corps included in the proposed special events. Sustainability of the activity is a key objective."

and this:

“We want drum corps to continue to be the standard-setting pageantry activity in the world, so that all of its performing groups, fans, band students, band directors, alumni and people around the world can enjoy and participate in this grand art form,” Rodgers said. “Our goal is to benefit organizations at all levels of the drum corps activity, and we are pleased to work with other leading organizations in this endeavor.”

It's hard to get much more "for the kids" than to ensure that the activity continues to exist.

Kind of hard to ensure the activity continues to exist when you are elevating 7 corps by taking more money and having more votes on your own board of directors. Kinda leaves out 40+ corps across both world and open class. I do not believe for one second that they are looking out for DCI or for Drum Corps as an activity. They are looking out for number one....or Numbers 1-7.

Let's take it ALL THE WAY! Let's assume all dark predictions come true, and within 5 years, NO CORPS ARE LEFT...

except 5...

and they all happen to be 5 of our consistent best. (kick out Bloo and Crown, for being "too new" lol)

Just imagine the talent. The 750 best. Forget about the 8000 who auditioned and failed.

I'd pay $100/week to watch that kind of excellence.

MMmmm...I just got goosebumps.

I'm willing to bet the 8000 members that didn't make it would have parents that no longer go to see shows, and that they would have a sour taste in their mouth after being exposed to such an elitist activity. I would imagine ~16,000 less fans in the stands would make a bit of a difference in overall attendance throughout the summer.

You have come up with judging theories in the past. How does this effect judging? How, in your opinion, should one be able to become a "G-7" corps?

I suggested in a previous post that there be a 3-yr evaluation window. And that the number could expand, contract or corps change.

Absolute nothing changes about judging. This decision is up to the board.

Let's take it ALL THE WAY! Let's assume all dark predictions come true, and within 5 years, NO CORPS ARE LEFT...

except 5...

and they all happen to be 5 of our consistent best. (kick out Bloo and Crown, for being "too new" lol)

Just imagine the talent. The 750 best. Forget about the 8000 who auditioned and failed.

I'd pay $100/week to watch that kind of excellence.

MMmmm...I just got goosebumps.

How are they supposed to get to be that excellent if they have nowhere to start? I sure wouldn't have a gold medal on my desk if my non-finalist drum corps experience hadn't taught me everything I needed to know to get there. I owe them everything.

I'm willing to bet the 8000 members that didn't make it would have parents that no longer go to see shows, and that they would have a sour taste in their mouth after being exposed to such an elitist activity. I would imagine ~16,000 less fans in the stands would make a bit of a difference in overall attendance throughout the summer.

no one in my family watches anything to do with corps except my brother and when i was in a show they all came. They came to several shows 3 locally and finals. My friends also came to see me. A big part of the audience is friends and family without a person in it they wont go.