New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

and, for transparency, something DCI has tried to be a lot better at, the power point and the minutes of the meeting...unedited...should be released.

these gys want to know how fans really think and see what the market dictates...air it all out. publicly..

Jeff, they have never cared what the fans think, why would they start now?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good ideas

I’d love to see a coordinated effort by those that oppose this proposal to walk out of the stands for the G-7 corps performances at a show (or shows) prior to the July 16th vote

I'm thinking more along the lines of bringing the newspaper. And busting it out like during the introductions of the visiting team during college basketball games.

:thumbup:

I'm thinking more along the lines of bringing the newspaper. And busting it out like during the introductions of the visiting team during college basketball games.

:thumbup:

brown baggs with eye holes?

And exactly what attitude is that?

Do you do anything but argue and disagree with other posts? For several days all you did was complain that you never saw any proof of the rumors. Now there is proof, and you have to start complaining about something else.

I have a feeling that if we knew more about what it means to "better marry drum corps to scholastic music", "to reduce DCI infrastructure", and about what "administrative points" were discussed regarding "pay allocations, governance issues, and other internal activity", that DCP's not only would have crashed, but would have been reduced to smoldering mounds of melted plastic.

Still, the rate at which this thread is expanding is impressive.

Drum Corps Bands of America

Thats what it means

Drum Corps Bands of America

Thats what it means

I don't think so.

If DCI is serious about partnering with scholastic music programs, BOA is the last place to start. The number of band programs that participate in BOA is extremely low. There are many reasons, but most of them are about resources and finances. DCI would be far better off partnering with the many local competitive circuits around the country, and with the various state music educator's associations. The corps themselves should be more involved in whatever circuits and associations are in their immediate areas.

While BOA is nice, it has zero impact on 99% of band programs in the US. Actually, it's probably a higher percentage than 99%.

Couldn't one also argue that one reason DCI is not attracting more kids to the activity is because of the fact that a lot of music programs in schools are being cut?

AMEN!!!!!

I am a band director (Northglenn HS) and a long time drum corps instructor. I have to constantly fight and fight to keep my program going, as do my brothers and sisters in the music ed. biz. These are not good times for us. I have lost both of my jazz bands and am taking a sizable pay cut. But we still have our program, and we are lucky.

The disheartening thing about this direction these people have chosen is that it is reckless, selfish, and totally disrespectful to everyone who has ever marched, taught, or bought a ticket.

I have said this recently here; fragmenting an already small market, in bad economic times is foolish.

12 drum corps have been in the "top7" since 1996. The Bluecoats (G7), Blue Knights, Glassmen, and Carolina Crown (G7) have dropped out of the top 12 and been in the "top 12" in this span. THIS OPPORTUNITY WOULD HAVE BEEN DEPRIVED OF THESE ORGANIZATIONS IF THIS WAS IN PLACE BEFORE NOW.

Are those of us not in the G7 (G6 + 1) really such a drag on their plans of World Domination?

I have lost a ton of respect for some of these guys who have chosen this fight.

The Bluecoats and Carolina Crown should be ashamed of themselves. It has not been that long since they were out of the top 12. Crown has had a strong run recently, and I am a fan. I have also worked for them and have friends there. Would you really fundamentally change the game the served you so well and defined what is possible for a drum corps to achieve. Shame on you! I am sorry that the rest of the activity has become such a burden and you have have not gotten your fair share of what....money? recognition? fame? chicks?

We are all elite who participate in this activity. Were the kids I had the honor of teaching at Colts or Troopers not as elite as the kids in the 90's with BK? NOPE.

This "elite" stuff has got to go. Anyone with the stones to sacrifice their time, energy, and and money to be apart of this thing is "elite" and deserve someplace to grow and push themselves like no other laboratory: the DRUM CORPS ACTIVITY.

Ticket sales and money issues are secondary to the incredible things all of us do World or Open Class, finalist or no. We work too #### hard for this nonsense.

Im going to finals week this year! i will spend monies on NON G7 Corps. I will not support ANY G7 Corps. No G7 Director with the Exception of Hopkins replied to the e-mail i sent all of them. all hopkins did was blow a smoke screen. DCI has yet to respond but they are probably swammped with e-mails and calls. i hope to hear something in 18/24 hours as their site states.

buying a ticket to finals supports the corps you are trying to not-support.

buying a ticket to finals supports the corps you are trying to not-support.

Buy from a scalper then, since according to some that 'hurts' dci.

And attend the events in indy of the corps you support. And buy lots of beer from the hotels theyve parterned with. (though this may just be my excuse to drink a few more beers in august :thumbup: )