New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

Change is always hard to matter the era of corps. I still have not seen an series of ideas to better the corps activity to rival was has been posted?

Jeesh, English AND typing 101, PLEASE!

I don't mind re-reading a post to understand the content, but I despise having to re-read posts because the English and the typing are terrible.

Yours is the latter.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change is always hard to matter the era of corps. I still have not seen an series of ideas to better the corps activity to rival was has been posted?

Now that I can understand your words, the answer is simple:

They don't allow DCP readers to vote in the Januals. In fact, they don't let ANYONE besides the foxes and poor hens into the hen house.

If they did I'm sure they'd have TONS of alternative ideas that could be woven into a suitable replacement plan.

Fran, let's hope the hell those Mayans and Rapturists get together and straightened this all out; or at least get some type of formal proposal together and bring it to the table for discussions. As it stands now with this new conflicting information, many are either going to have to cancel potential Spring picnics or Winter holidays, depending on the date. :thumbup:

I have older (twin) brothers whose birthday is on May 22.... I'm wondering if I'll need to call them next year a couple of days early with happy-birthday wishes. LOL

Fran

Read the proposal, haven't read the whole thread. I'm for it because Southern California is not as spoiled as the Midwest and East Coast in getting to see Top Notch Corps every season. However, I do see this like College Sports where the Football and Basketball Div 1 teams pretty much support all other sports, for example the Badminton team has the funds to travel and have facilities even though they drew no one to watch. Why, because money made from the aforementioned programs pays for it and therefore Badminton has a place.

Perhaps this could be how this activity can be saved. I was really struck by the Fieldpass podcast with Brandt Crocker. Stating concerns about the future of DCI. I believe the directors are taking proactive stance in addressing those issues.

First off, let me flame my own post. The article??? WOW! I guess I was naive to think that this proposal had the intent of helping the activity and the other corps. My own assumptions got the better of me and I apologize for wasting your time in reading my ill-informed post. Perhaps I'm holding on hope that there's some greater good, ironic with the Lance Armstrong situation today, I'm holding on by a thread that he is not a doper in the same way I'm hoping that the G7 is not proposing this change for greed and entitlement.

This will kill the activity because both fans and potential members will flock to the G7 corps and make them stronger and difficult for other corps to survive. The days of seeing a Carolina Crown or Cavies rise through ranks will be over.

People only have so much dollars to spend and if they was a major show in SoCal with the G7, then I wouldn't attend the other shows in the area over a given week because whatever extra cash I would spend would be for the G7 show. This proposal would be a life saver if the extra revenue made from the G7 shows would be shared among the other shows. Similar to Major sports where revenue sharing exist.

Enough for now. Perhaps there is more to the story I'm not aware of and my reaction is based on the article. It's possible that the G7 is seeing something that we are not or DCI is like BP, not disclosing how dire or in deep #### they are in.

All right, let's look at another scenario. And we don't have to guess because I'm actually involved with the local show. A good one. With a great lineup.

Next year, with the E7 doing their own circuit, there's no way I can realistically expect one of them to be at my show. What I'm left with is the hope that I can draw a crowd big enough to pay for the show. I can tell you first hand the odds of that are slim. So, on the hope that I can one day attract a top-tier corps I keep the show going. Pouring my own money and time into keeping it going through the lean years, only hoping someday the show will support itself. On the hope that the Elite-7 will grace my show? Why in the world would I do that? Furthermore, alignment with the "scholastic" music world means open instrumentation. So I'll be hoping to get a big name "Marching Band" to do my show? Who's going to come to that?

Our show is tied to our local (struggling) corps. The show's profits are split with that corps. If I can't get butts in the seats because it's not unique enough for anyone to care, there will be no profits to share.

Yes, we look for the majors to support the minor leagues in this activity. It's always been that way in recognition of the difficulty in attaining championship quality. The sad fact is that without the major draw to the show the show folds, and possibly the local shows fold as well.

First off, thanks, on behalf of all of us who love this activity, for your effort in making your event happen. Now to your point. By my reading, it has not be suggested that the "E7" are going out on their own or intend to compete with you head to head for fan support. What I'm reading (and at this point that's all we can do) is that they are using the top corps to create new interest using a mix of top tier and other corps in a circuit separate from the judged DCI circuit. They may do a kind of fun judging that involves audience participation (ala Las Vegas last year with BD, Bluecoats, et al). It wasn't a great success but Vegas ain't exactly a DCI kind of town. But it had some cool things such as a drum battle with BD-Bluecoats. Not traditional, but fun. No one got hurt and the fans got to vote on their cell phones. This is just an experiment and nothing to be feared.

I believe your show will remain supported and hopefully stimulated by new interest created by something new in the area. My advice to you is to wait and see what they propose. See what happens when the dust settles and new ideas come out. You clearly have a huge interest in the future of DCI and I would believe you would want to see a plan that has a goal of expanding the fan base.

Edited by Plan9

A HUGE THANK YOU to Steve Vickers for posting his article online. He didn't have to do it, but very glad he did. Everyone thank him by going and buying a subscription tonight... I'm going to.

Thanks Steve!!

Here is the article:

May 12-16, 2010 -- A philosophical division over the future direction and long-term sustainability of Drum Corps International has developed within the leadership of the organization’s member corps. While those differences will not threaten DCI’s 2010 summer tour -- and officials within DCI report ticket sales are running ahead of projected targets in many markets -- they have already produced action on the future leadership of the organization. (...)

Rest of article here http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=811

Basically, it sounds like the inmates are trying to take over the asylum, or threatening to leave the asylum and start their own.

Good luck with that.

I wrote a lengthy rant, and just deleted it ... Not worth it.

The situation is sad ... more than that it's pathetic.

First off, thanks, on behalf of all of us who love this activity, for your effort in making your event happen. Now to your point. By my reading, it has not be suggested that the "E7" are going out on their own or intend to compete with you head to head for fan support. What I'm reading (and at this point that's all we can do) is that they are using the top corps to create new interest using a mix of top tier and other corps in a circuit separate from the judged DCI circuit. They may do a kind of fun judging that involves audience participation (ala Las Vegas last year with BD, Bluecoats, et al). It wasn't a great success but Vegas ain't exactly a DCI kind of town. But it had some cool things such as a drum battle with BD-Bluecoats. Not traditional, but fun. No one got hurt and the fans got to vote on their cell phones. This is just an experiment and nothing to be feared.

I believe your show will remain supported and hopefully stimulated by new interest created by something new in the area. My advice to you is to wait and see what they propose. See what happens when the dust settles and new ideas come out. You clearly have a huge interest in the future of DCI and I would believe you would want to see a plan that has a goal of expanding the fan base.

Excellent reply and thank you for your civility. You're right on all counts.

It is entirely possible that "what we don't know we don't know is what we get". Considering I have to pay for my show lineup early in 2011 I hope their plan is clear enough for me to decide our show's fate.

I don't think this action by the G7 is to "better" the activity, as it is to "better" those specific corps involved. Ideas for bettering the drum corps activity would be another thread.

To be honest, though, I've been hearing for years (since about 2005/2006) about how DCI has been planning a way to get rid of the "lower" corps, and only have the "top" 10 and make a Blast-like outdoor show that is profit based. Seriously, this is nothing new. I'm not saying that I know what is true and what is gossip... I'm just saying I've heard similar rumors for the past 5 or so years. The only difference this time, is that there seems to be some actual evidence of these types of things possibly happening.

From dci.org

From the desk of the DCI Executive Director

Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 7:32 PM

My Dear Friends:

Last evening seven member corps of Drum Corps International simultaneously posted a press release. Shortly thereafter an article was posted on the independent Drum Corps World website titled "DCI member corps divided on group’s future direction and leadership." Both the press release and the article were the result of discussion and action taken recently at a regularly scheduled DCI Board of Directors meeting.

One can only conclude from reading the press release and the article that there is a philosophical division among the member corps as to the best course for the future of Drum Corps International. Unfortunately this is true. Some of the actions taken in the past several weeks could be interpreted to be either detrimental to the future of the organization or perhaps a necessary discourse to lead the drum corps experience into a positive direction. Others may contend that this is a dark moment in Drum Corps International’s 38-year history, which in its very own mission statement claims to be "a cooperative fraternity of its member drum corps."

I would be less than genuine if I tried to make a statement without expressing how concerned I am that the differences among the member corps have brought the organization to such a level of disagreement. However, as frustrating as this can be when discussions become mired in egoism and self-righteousness, I know all of the corps representatives are noble in their pursuit of what they perceive to be the right direction for Drum Corps International. The passion runs so deep among the individuals who serve as the DCI Board of Directors and among the representatives of the DCI Member Corps, that at times, the magnitude of the figurative explosion that sometimes occurs can be staggering.

Because of recent governance related events, these passionate corps leaders have a long way to go to come back together as a "cooperative fraternity" in order to determine a direction for the future. After 22 years in the DCI boardroom, I can say I have never seen anything quite like this. However, I do know each corps leader is equally compassionate toward the other as well as their respective corps. One of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective.

I have been asked from time to time when the drum corps activity might cease to exist. My answer is simple; when the passion to preserve the collective interest and consideration for all who wish to participate goes away. I frankly do not see that happening any time soon.

Now, I realize many fans and participants want all the facts of what has taken place and want to dissect every word of every statement to get to the truth. Certainly, I respect the passion held by them. They too are concerned for the future of the drum corps experience and for that I am truly grateful. However, it is time for the corps leaders to join together, and with the DCI staff and the fans, focus on delivering the best experience to date for the amazing participants in all groups who will take the Drum Corp International stage this summer. We owe them nothing less than a magnificent experience, and we owe the volunteers and professional staff around them the support necessary to make this happen.

Although I am realistic about the depth of our governance challenges today, I am confident we will endure and emerge an even stronger organization. Thank you for your continued support of the drum corps experience and the cooperative fraternity of its member organizations, Drum Corps International.

Most Sincerely,

Dan Acheson

Executive Director/CEO

Drum Corps International

Marching Music's Major League™

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...db-e743bb101e38