Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

As far as I'm concerned, BS and BAC ALREADY took out one of the G7 last season.....only 6 more to go!

With regard to the "Brands" issue, I have to respectfully (and vehemently) disagree with you, FTNK. Both Boston AND Blue Stars' "brands" were already on the rise in the last couple seasons, and clearly Madison's stock is rising due to a new direction and staff, and the Troopers are back in the saddle now and they're not screwing around, either. All four of these corps in particular have VERY strong brands at the present.

Not only that, but the G7 have basically shot themselves in the foot, severely damaging their own brands. In fact, they may as well rename themselves Toyota or BP....elitist, arrogant, self-absorbed, stage divas are what their directors have become....and the whole drum corps world is watching.

As for BAC and BS, I'll bet those corps members, staffs, management, and alumni are quite motivated. Both corps have at various times, risen from the grave, neither has a silver spoon in their mouth, and BOTH will probably garner more audience enthusiasm this summer that some of the "Beautiful People".

Looking forward to the first show.......it will be the drum corps versus the prima donnas.

Game on. :lookaround:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not it passes at this point is irrelevant to me. I've lost a tremendous amount of respect for these corps based on the idea that they would even support such a thing, which is so clearly for their own benefit, under the guise of it being good for the activity. Do I think it likely that Blue Stars or BAC will beat up on last years top 5? No, I understand the reality of the situation. It is entirely possible however that they are very competitive with Bluecoats and SCV, and don't even get me started on Phantom who IMO will have to fight kicking and scratching just to move up from 9th this year. If that happens, and I think there's a better chance of it happening than not, what does it say about your precious G-7? You know, I would actually consider the idea to have some potential, IF the current years G-7 corps were decided by the finals placements the previous year. THAT at least would preserve the competitive nature of the activity, while letting them do what they want with the schedule etc... In it's current form it is nothing but a security blanket for what isn't even the 7 best corps at this point in time. It's total crap from start to finish, top to bottom.

I'd take a Madison Scouts resurgence over some G7s as well... :D

Me too. Especially since the Madison Scouts have won a DCI Title... and more than once too, whereas a couple of these proposed G- 7's ( no disrespect to them ) have never won a DCI Title. And who knows who are going to be the top 7 corps THIS year, let alone NEXT year, when this coackamamie idea is proposed to be implemented.

Edited by BRASSO

Whether or not it passes at this point is irrelevant to me. I've lost a tremendous amount of respect for these corps based on the idea that they would even support such a thing, which is so clearly for their own benefit, under the guise of it being good for the activity. Do I think it likely that Blue Stars or BAC will beat up on last years top 5? No, I understand the reality of the situation. It is entirely possible however that they are very competitive with Bluecoats and SCV, and don't even get me started on Phantom who IMO will have to fight kicking and scratching just to move up from 9th this year. If that happens, and I think there's a better chance of it happening than not, what does it say about your precious G-7? You know, I would actually consider the idea to have some potential, IF the current years G-7 corps were decided by the finals placements the previous year. THAT at least would preserve the competitive nature of the activity, while letting them do what they want with the schedule etc... In it's current form it is nothing but a security blanket for what isn't even the 7 best corps at this point in time. It's total crap from start to finish, top to bottom.

One issue that will be put to bed once and for all if this proposal is implemented is the suggestion that " there is no slotting of Corps in DCI ".

" slotting " will not only be in practice, it will have the imprimatur approval of DCI itself !

If you think Corps not in the G-7 have a competitive uphill battle to break through this G-7 ( which Boston and Blue Stars penetrated last season ), just imagine how much MORE difficult it will be for the non G-7's in future years, when potential recruits in the offeason will know who's in the " TOP ACTS ", and who's out, with DCI for the FOLLOWING season.

What a terrible proposal that gives lie to the notion of free and open competition, unencumbered by any institutional group slotting of Corps before a competitive season even begins. It stinks to high heaven, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Not only did Boston Crusaders and Blue Stars take out Phantom last year, but in the last decade, corps such as Glassmen and Blue Knights have also beaten Phantom, and Bluecoats.

And my prediction for this upcoming year would be 5 of the G7 will end up top 5, with Bluecoats and Phantom having to work the tails off just to remain in the top 7. I wouldn't be surprised if Bluecoats slipped to 8th, and if Phantom has to fight just to stay in top 12.

I really think Boston, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Glassmen and Madison Scouts may have legitimate shots of knocking out at least 2 of the G7. Although it will be interesting if the judges will get it right. It's already been a weird decade, I guess it could get even stranger now.

Good luck to all the corps, and let's hope knocking a few of the G7 down, changes some perspective on this issue.

Yep, I definitely called the additional support for BAC and BS last night. Thank you very much! :lookaround:

Seriously though, I think we shouldn't subtract any (vocal) support from the G7... as usual, I'm anti-punishing-kids-for-things-they-didn't-do... but if you don't already yet, now's the time to start screaming and yelling when non-G7 corps come onto the field. At least as much or more than you do for the G7. And buy souvies! Send a clear message that we love *all* the corps... not just the ones that have recently been on top.

Edited by Supersonic

We need "Debbie Downer" just about now.

Not that it will ever happen but, now is the time for pageantry judging to move to an independent organization. BOA, DCI, G7, WGI et al operate the events and hire from within the judging union, yes, much like figure skating.

And no, that would not take care of anything except ... well, it really might help this situation at hand.

Sticky wicket, Dave.

Technically, DCI culls the best people from all of the Judging associations in the US. I have no idea how they then decide who to kill or who to keep.

DCA used to have the member corps vote on who stayed on their judges' lists, I have no idea how they do it now. Honesty IS greatly valued amongst fellow judges, but if you've rankled the wrong person/persons by a call or calls you made, you're out.

All I know is if the inmates run the asylum in this regard, you're always going to have questions and believe me- I have some about certain things that have happened over time myself, but what would be a better solution? You also can't have the judges have too much power, either. One has to keep in mind Judges *serve* the circuits they adjudicate for.

I guess the question is, to what degree and how do they then serve, not be served, and also be honest, ethical, and are viewed by the fans as such?

I can just FEEL the anger running through your veins lol. Why do we have to go this route anyway? It was just a proposal.

I have sat in a lot of board meetings. Proposals like this are not made without some idea on how they will be accepted. I believe this grows beyond seven corps and it will be a join or die arrangement. If I was betting, I would wager we see a 10-14 super corps circuit within three years.

I have sat in a lot of board meetings. Proposals like this are not made without some idea on how they will be accepted. I believe this grows beyond seven corps and it will be a join or die arrangement. If I was betting, I would wager we see a 10-14 super corps circuit within three years.

True. Anyone famliliar with Forumla One racing remembers recently when the top teams (FOTA) pretty much told the governing body (FIA) what to do or they'd take their teams and run. They did have some good reasons to do so (FIA head getting caught in an S&M Scandal and they wanted him gone and he wouldn't leave), but still a similar kind of issue at hand.

But it's not about what we believe. It's about what's on paper. These members would still have to vote on it, correct? From what I am seeing so far, it doesn't look as though there is a lot of support for it.