Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

It's always slotting when your favorite corps isn't where you think they should be. :tongue:

I hear you. But I have no dog in this hunt, 2000 Cadet. Seriously.

Musically, I've probably gravitated toward liking Phantom Regiment the best of all the Corps over the years. And they' re currently in the G-7.

But I'd be against this group slotting attempt no matter WHICH Corps were trying to hatch this scheme.

It's just so bad ...and on so many different levels too.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many others, I think it is interesting that these corps consider themselves the "top acts".

In the 38-year history of DCI, there were only 3 times that all members of the G7 actually placed in the Top 7:2004, 2007, and 2008

It is shameful that these corps (one of which I marched with) are deliberately creating this division in the activity. Hopefully they will come to their senses and create a new touring model that will support ALL corps instead of just the elite.

Like many others, I think it is interesting that these corps consider themselves the "top acts".

In the 38-year history of DCI, there were only 3 times that all members of the G7 actually placed in the Top 7:2004, 2007, and 2008

It is shameful that these corps (one of which I marched with) are deliberately creating this division in the activity. Hopefully they will come to their senses and create a new touring model that will support ALL corps instead of just the elite.

In the words of Arte Johnson,

"Veeeeerrrrry eeenteresting." Didn't realize that. Kind of undercuts their argument just a teeny bit....

We'll have to see how this breaks down. I know from experience that this whole thing will give the Blue Stars a chip on their shoulder, and it could make them even more dangerous as a result. No one likes to be taunted with the obvious implication that's been made that they're "not hip enough to be invited to the big dance" or "not good enough", or "not a well-loved brand name", or "not a top-caliber corps".

Yeah, If I was there as a staff member or performer, I'd be working even harder every second I was able to. You bet. I'll have to see if I can dig up my Blue Stars pin I picked up in '79 as a kid at my parents' house this weekend and post a pic in the appropriate thread as my way of bringing them some good luck and extra mojo power for this season.

"Veeeeerrrrry eeenteresting." Didn't realize that. Kind of undercuts their argument just a teeny bit....

We'll have to see how this breaks down. I know from experience that this whole thing will give the Blue Stars a chip on their shoulder, and it could make them even more dangerous as a result. No one likes to be taunted with the obvious implication that's been made that they're "not hip enough to be invited to the big dance" or "not good enough", or "not a well-loved brand name", or "not a top-caliber corps".

Yeah, If I was there as a staff member or performer, I'd be working even harder every second I was able to. You bet. I'll have to see if I can dig up my Blue Stars pin I picked up in '79 as a kid at my parents' house this weekend and post a pic in the appropriate thread as my way of bringing them some good luck and extra mojo power for this season.

See, this is my conspiracy theory at work! The G7 did this because they wanted all the other corps to get mad enough to try to kick their rears in competition. We'll find out later that it was all just a bad dream and junior drum corps is one big happy family again. :tongue:

So, I don't think anyone has brought this up, but I'm going to now. What if Blue Stars and PAC were invited to be part of the group that is now the G7, and just turned it down?

So, I don't think anyone has brought this up, but I'm going to now. What if Blue Stars and PAC were invited to be part of the group that is now the G7, and just turned it down?

Don't know for certain but I really don't think that is what happened. My understanding is that if Blue Stars place 8th or higher this year (with two consecutive 8th place finishes under their belt already) they well be eligible to join the G-7 group in 2011. Boston needs to finish 8th or higher this season AND in 2011 to join the G-7 in 2012, due to their 9th place finish in 08. Again this is just my understanding and could be wrong.

A while back I posted the following on the Blue Stars website.

"I want the Blue Stars to be successful financially and competitively, always. I sincerely hope this success never comes specifically at another corps or group of corps expense through the passage of rules that makes the overall playing field for success extremely unfair. I would ask those in positions to influence and make decisions about this the following question.

How likely is it that Blue Stars would be where they are right now, if this proposal had been made and enacted 7-8 years ago?"

It seems unlikely to me that if Blue Stars, Boston, or any other corps has the opportunity to join the G-7 group that they would turn it down. I guess it's a conflict I'll have to deal with when/if it happens.

Don't know for certain but I really don't think that is what happened. My understanding is that if Blue Stars place 8th or higher this year (with two consecutive 8th place finishes under their belt already) they well be eligible to join the G-7 group in 2011. Boston needs to finish 8th or higher this season AND in 2011 to join the G-7 in 2012, due to their 9th place finish in 08. Again this is just my understanding and could be wrong.

Yes, the rules are "eighth or higher," but these rules were formed after the coalition. Might the rules have been different?

It seems unlikely to me that if Blue Stars, Boston, or any other corps has the opportunity to join the G-7 group that they would turn it down. I guess it's a conflict I'll have to deal with when/if it happens.

Blue Stars (one staff member, who's name I can't remember, in particular) have gone toe-to-toe with Hopkins at the rules congress in recent years. They seem to be outside of his sphere of influence. So, I could see them turning down an opportunity to work closely with him.

Why would Hopkins want them in the first place, if they do indeed butt heads? Because, no matter what we think of the man, he is shrewd, and he sees opportunities in everything. He knows the quality and draw of Blue Stars. They have a growing, intensely loyal fan base. He would put personal gripes aside and try to get them into the coalition.

As for BAC, they do their own thing. I could buy that they were not extended an invitation, as I don't think they hit it off with the "target audience" in the same manner that Blue Stars do. If they were, though, I could certainly believe that they turned it down. They might want to just be left alone to do their thing with DCI.

Edit: Just to clarify, I love BAC. I have friends there, both marching and on staff. I think their show last year was fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to this year's show. I'm just saying that they seem to connect more with us corps dorks, while Blue Stars is very accessible to the corps newbie (i.e. high school band member).

Edited by zachariaswmb

Exactly.... and lest we forget, not all the proposed G-7 Corps finished in the top 7 last year. Boston finished in the top 7, and both Blue Stars and Boston BOTH finished ahead of one of the proposed G-7.

If you are an athlete or a Coach, there is no better motivation than to have other teams and coaches think so little of you. Nothing gets the competitive juices flowing better than that.

Exactly.... and lest we forget, not all the proposed G-7 Corps finished in the top 7 last year. Boston finished in the top 7, and both Blue Stars and Boston BOTH finished ahead of one of the proposed G-7.

If you are an athlete or a Coach, there is no better motivation than to have other teams and coaches think so little of you. Nothing gets the competitive juices flowing better than that.

I have 4 students in BAC this year, Their move-in starts tomorrow. And I can tell you first hand, that they have fire in their eyes.

I have 4 students in BAC this year, Their move-in starts tomorrow. And I can tell you first hand, that they have fire in their eyes.

I'm sure everyone does, including the G7.