Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

Really? None of the G7 went through what the others did to survive? How far back does your experience or history go? Im not challenging you BUT you couldnt be more wrong SOME of thos corps were in total diaster during their DCI history

What I think craiga means is... for example, Boston Crusaders actually filed for bankruptcy in the '70s (i believe), and almost completly folded. More than once. I don't know about Blue Stars, but I know they've had similar financial troubles, Troopers went inactive a couple of years ago for a season because of money. Sure, when the G7 first started out they may have had some trouble just like any other corps has when starting out, but other corps have had must worse luck then the G7.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? None of the G7 went through what the others did to survive? How far back does your experience or history go? Im not challenging you BUT you couldnt be more wrong SOME of thos corps were in total diaster during their DCI history

1977.....you?

I hope nobody is going to suggest with a straight face that the G7 corps have had to endure any measure of tough times in the last 30 years or so. Did any of the G7 have, say, 19 horns like BAC did in 1983? Get reborn in Div 3 like Blue Stars? Actually not even field one year like Troopers? Almost fold like Madison?

My point was the THESE are the corps who have proven themselves as survivors, even WITHOUT the perenial Top 7 status.

And BRASSO, you are correct. Based on several of the G7 personalities, I predict the cannibalistic feeding frenzy is about to begin in that group. And, just you wait for the fingerpointing to start......

I think that the 16 remaining WC corps and the 20 or so OC corps should tell the G7 if you leave, it is for good. Let's call their hand. Wanna bet the G7 morphs into the G3 by August?

Edited by craiga

1977.....you?

I hope nobody is going to suggest with a straight face that the G7 corps have had to endure any measure of tough times in the last 30 years or so. Did any of the G7 have, say, 19 horns like BAC did in 1983? Get reborn in Div 3 like Blue Stars? Actually not even field one year like Troopers? Almost fold like Madison?

Hell, from all i've heard (i wasnt involved with the corps then), BS was #### close to folding around 03. It was pretty much grow or fold. Thank god they developed a good plan for the latter.

Hell, from all i've heard (i wasnt involved with the corps then), BS was #### close to folding around 03. It was pretty much grow or fold. Thank god they developed a good plan for the latter.

Blue Stars.... what a recent GREAT comeback story from this Charter Member of DCI.

That's why the timing of this G-7 scheme is so suspect and is just the pitts,imo... and on so many different levels too.

You make a good point. But as for BS, they would be granted membership in the "AAA" level of DCI for placing in the top 8 for 3 years in a row. BAC would then be eligible for the same thing if they made top 8 in 2010 and 2011.

The real irony would be if PR failed to break back into the top 8 in 2010 or 2011 and got kicked out of the "AAA" level they voted to create.

I'm not a fan of the proposal at all, just some interesting discussion.

Unless they vote to keep BS out of AAA for "other reasons" (35) as they will have the ability to do.

Edited by soccerguy315

Unless they vote to keep BS out of AAA for "other reasons" (35) as they will have the ability to do.

Other reasons being 'we dont want to split the pot anymore'

1977.....you?

My point was the THESE are the corps who have proven themselves as survivors, even WITHOUT the perenial Top 7 status.

And BRASSO, you are correct. Based on several of the G7 personalities, I predict the cannibalistic feeding frenzy is about to begin in that group. And, just you wait for the fingerpointing to start......

I think that the 16 remaining WC corps and the 20 or so OC corps should tell the G7 if you leave, it is for good. Let's call their hand. Wanna bet the G7 morphs into the G3 by August?

So whos fault is it the some corps suffered more than others ? Since when is success a dirty word. Noone loves BAC more than me but I know 1st hand pre DCI finals when they made it alot of their member issues, non DCI finals, etc etc ws due to them They started their drill in June while the big guns were already on tour. They were always a month behing everyone and was told this. How do I know this I was on staff a few years in the 90s.

Since when did everyone have to take of everyone and dont say its always been like that .if that was the case then where did the hundreds of corps go when DCI was formed. Its funny many pre DCI people say the end of drum corps started with DCI....Sound familiar?

I seem to remember Phantom Regiment almost going under a few years back. It was big news when they defaulted on their loan, and hit newspapers, causing major embarassment. Then all of a sudden they started to receive preferential treatment from DCI, with at least 3 placements well above where they should be. DCI basically bailed out their behind, and now they want to crap on DCI.

I guess I can see why they are really for the split, even though they aren't in the most recent top 7. At the same time though, you would think they would have a little more respect for the corps that don't receive special treatment, and are also close to folding, or having major financial problems.

It would actually be humorous if Phantom fell out of the top 12 this year, after being inducted into the G7. I wouldn't completely rule it out either, they dropped 8 placements last year, and Glassmen and Blue Knights are both capable of top 5 finishes, and could easily knock them out. And if Madison comes storming back with the new staff and Colts or Academy would have a stellar season, they could knock Phantom out of top 12. And while it probably wouldn't happen, it is always a possibility.

It would actually be humorous if Phantom fell out of the top 12 this year, after being inducted into the G7. I wouldn't completely rule it out either,

I wont be cheering for phantom to drop out of the top 12. ive typically found their shows enjoyable... even last year, by the end of the season (the beginning was a different matter.

However, i will agree with the assertion that anything is possible there. A lot seem to assume that phantom will just reclaim its 'rightful' place at the peak level of drum corps, and the fact is, Phantom didnt just drop to 9th because of a poor show design. They also dropped because corps below them have taken some big steps up in the last few years. I dont know anything about BAC's current status this year, but from what i've heard on BS's facebook page, and given their staff upgrades (and from what i've heard, talent as well, as they build a reputation that helps recruiting) they're going to be tougher to knock off as well- and could be dangerous for some above them. I'm assuming BAC isnt turning off the gas either (nor are any of the other corps above BAC\BS that also beat phantom last year). After that, one more year outside the top 8 (and by then, you probably need to add madison to the mix as well) and PR isnt in the AAA division anymore.