Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

no, we're not in Scranton :tongue:

Well, actually, Moosic. I witnessed some of the extreme actions that year and the reactions of the drum corps public were justified.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Seidling talked in these terms ten years ago when he was with Regiment. This has been slow brewed coffee. Very strong in flavor and intense to the taste. But, aren't a lot of the people on here kvetching about this the same people who said after last year they would never attend finals again?

1. Drum corps largest audience doesn't post, let alone know about DCP. DCP represents drum corps' wonk central.

2. The "gang of" sees the relevance of DCI as it exists currently with a huge task to remain relevant. The do not see DCI as currently constructed working hard enough to make this happen.

3. Follow the dollar. Every dollar DCI gives Pioneer, Surf, Mandarins, etc., is a dollar SCV, BD, Cadets don't get.

4. Deep down, most fans do not want parity. In some cases, some corps are being rewarded for putting mediocrity on the field.

5. There is no #5.

6. It's just drum corps. As you can see by my lack of recent posts. Drum corps, no longer an obsession for me. DCP was/is becoming a huge waste of my time.

7. In some ways it's just hard to know how to feel about this. I can see how the "gang of" feels. I'm sure it makes sense to them. When I read Mr. Acheson's comments, it's clear there are frictions which have been ratcheting up over the past 10 years. I can't help but think so much of this was triggered by the failure of Indy as a finals location. All of them are to blame for that decision.

8. See number 5.

9. I think DCI as we now it is in need of hospice. See DCM's demise.

10. Gang of seven...keep your friends close and your enemies closer. What you may not realize is this...you just became a niche within a niche within a niche. You are now...SUPER SUMMER BANDS starting next season. I'd love to see your 5 year and 10 year "white paper" plans. I was unimpressed with DCI's from late last year.

A Drum Corps board member offended our entire table at a recent benefit dinner. I had brought friends and had spent time "selling them" on supporting this drum corps. They were easily worth a $1000 a year contribution. I know alumni and other board members, staff and management from this corps. The Board member took the podium with a diconnected rant about why he supports this drum corps and the members who he referred to as "cream of the crop." Then he went on to say there was too much attention paid to "the low hanging fruit." He tried to paint a picture that these high achieving drum corps members were disadvantaged. It's sat in my craw ever since. Ever since. My support of charities will severly alter next year, after my current commitments run their course. I won an auction prize that night of 2 tickets to semis and finals. They were the tour partner tickets corps receive from DCI each year. They're good tickets and I had plans to celebrate my 50th birthday in Indianapolis. There must have been a reason I didn't get the hotel and flight booked yet. Now, I'm wondering why I ever supported this activity to the extent I have.

11. With all that, I just wish it was about the kids. Not the instructors, not the egos...just the connection of the fans and the performers.

12. Why did 4 corps work so hard to get their Open Class corps off the ground this year. Imagine how they must feel.

Out.

I agree with 2, 3 ( only in the sense that the gang of wnats those dollars for themselves), 7 hands down, 9, 10 especially..and for that BOD member...wow.11 and 12 yes.

5 and 8 i'm torn :tongue:

Funny now, yes! But later this summer some blockhead boo's the kids from a G7 corps...not so funny.

But I must tell you that the thought of Donald Trump coming out on the field after the winner is announced at final, saying "Dan........you're fired! Gives me a chuckle.

Just kidding Dan!

and regardless of how I feel, that blockhead should be smacked upside the head.

hard

Sorry, G. I just don't buy it. These 7 directors probably have easily 100+ combined years of drum corps experience between them. 100+ years of fielding corps, teaching kids, being involved with an activity that I'm sure at times can be thankless and frustrating. You don't stick around that long if you don't care.

What you're asking me to believe is that somewhere over the past year or so, these 7 people, who've devoted the better parts of their lives to this activity, to youth, gathered round together and basically said, "F*** this. Let's doom the activity as we all know it and make some money."

if it suits their needs, why not?

What makes you so certain they are in it for themselves? I mean, if all this talk is true, we will have the G7 circuit and DCI completely separate within a few years and both defunct a few years after that.

How is that a win for the G7?

because they dont see that option. they see themselves swimming in money forever and ever Amen ( with the vocal now allowed)

You are correct. Parity. Nice. Too little sleep last night. Too little.

I think you'd be surprised. Look at Phantom in 08...middle of the pack for a while, maybe 3rd...and wow. Look at people cheering on Crown's rise the last few years...or Boston in 00. I think fans love seeing some new faces at the top because it shakes things up.

hell i'd dance for joy if i could fit into a shirt i wore in 9189 again :tongue:

i wouldn't burn the shirts, i would use them as dust rags or to clean up cat puke and then throw them away or something like that.

I believe that's what the G7 intended to happen at the board meeting. The public info says that Dan and other corps were informed of this topic beforehand. As Granny describes elsewhere on this thread, it seems like nobody anticipated the explosion that actually happened, and thanks to big egos and self-righteousness (Dan A's words) the rift between the two sides has grown very large.

Part of me hopes that some of the G7 are Machiavellian enough to have planned this. It's obvious that Hop is the most inflammatory spokesperson for this idea that one could possibly choose. So Hop makes the presentation, everyone blows up, it gets leaked to the public, much fury is generated and... the door is probably open in a couple of months for a cooler head to offer a watered-down proposal that gets everyone talking again.

I fully believe that if the G7 wanted to leave DCI, they'd have left. If they don't want to leave, then at some point the level-headed types on each side are going to find a way to compromise.

and I think Hop is reveling in being the lightning rod

http://www.yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hopblog

My favorite part.

"So ..

the issues of the day may not be the proposal. What caused the ruckus were folks who did not follow the directive of the chair that all was confidential. AND .. today, we have an internet.

That changes all ... folks talk, folks pass information and whether it is true or not it gets passed. This can be good .. or not so good I guess. In this case, there is so much out there that is incomplete it's incredible. And by the way, since this is drum corps why in god's name would folks not give their name to quotes? It's not a national secret is it?"

And he's got a point. Why hide if you are telling the truth? This isn't national security, it's drum corps.

you're right. so they should then post the whole proposal for all to see by your logic, right?

I agree-- the less speculation, the better. There are too many ambiguities still, IMO. Honestly, I'm surprised that the other directors are still silent on the subject. I REALLY want to hear their own thoughts on this.

maybe they are meeting, and will let the other 7 know about it shortly before it happens. worked for the 7 right?