Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

The first 100+ pages of posts can be found here. However, we're starting a new thread in the hopes that folks won't have to wade through over 1,000 posts to add their voice.

Here are the source documents as well as excerpts. Click on the links to read more.

The G7 proposal news release as posted by the corps.

Discussions have been underway since January to explore how Drum Corps International (“DCI”) might better serve the interests of all drum corps, including those groups who have a history of success for the past 20 years or more.

At the May 12-13 DCI Board of Directors meeting, Cadets Director George Hopkins, made a presentation on behalf of seven members of an ad-hoc caucus. DCI member corps were present to observe and participate in question/answer sessions that followed. Following the presentation and question/answer session, the DCI Board passed a motion requesting that the touring component of the plan be addressed in further detail at the next board meeting on July 16, along with a more in-depth financial analysis and supporting documentation. No action was taken at the meeting to adopt the proposal, in whole or in part

Drum Corps World's news article on the proposal and meetings.

May 12-16, 2010 -- A philosophical division over the future direction and long-term sustainability of Drum Corps International has developed within the leadership of the organization’s member corps. While those differences will not threaten DCI’s 2010 summer tour -- and officials within DCI report ticket sales are running ahead of projected targets in many markets -- they have already produced action on the future leadership of the organization.

DCI's response to the subject.

Last evening seven member corps of Drum Corps International simultaneously posted a press release. Shortly thereafter an article was posted on the independent Drum Corps World website titled "DCI member corps divided on group’s future direction and leadership." Both the press release and the article were the result of discussion and action taken recently at a regularly scheduled DCI Board of Directors meeting.

If this thread hits 100 pages as well we'll likely start a Part 3...

Thanks!

Mike

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#### and i was just about to quote one of your posts.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2790248

Mike what you talk about here is what happened when Crossmen joined YEA.

0.jpg

*insert frontier jibberish here*

Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

bad idea

Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

That is all.

Responding to MattS post below: I'm not picking on him :tongue: he's just bringing up something that I haven't seen explained.

It's quite plausible that the G7 corps believe DCI would benefit most in the long term by investing now in the activity's best selling products. In the long term, that investment could pay off with increased fans, exposure, involvement, and ultimately increased revenue. If there is more revenue, then there is more to share amongst all the corps. The problem, of course, is that there is no way to be certain that this investment will lead to long term benefit. If I'm the director of a non-G7 corps, I would find it awfully difficult to bet certain losses against uncertain gains.

Question is what would be different if DCI would concentrate on the top corps? Would there be addition shows with just those corps. Will there be addition events involving those corps (clinics, etc). And how would those addtional shows/events affect those corps practice time and travel costs? With the seasons getting shorter, any additional events would only make it harder to get things cleaned up.

As Granny so correctly pointed out, the recent DCI news is SERIOUS business. I, too, fear the concept proposed speaks to what's probably an immovable object.

The (current) "Haves" want more and they'll settle for nothing less. If not 2011, then 2012. Sadly, the rest can only watch. The "Have Nots," (at least in the eyes of the new visionaries) need to pick-up the pieces and go from there. I don't see it any other way, based upon what I've read so far.

Think about it. The Ambitious Seven have lots of ammunition and desire. The really DO command the greatest interest from potential participants and viewing audience. They are all 'stars" who deserve and expect top billing. They feel privileged right now, in that their vision for drum corps has already worked for them. They're already where everyone wants to be. They want, and really can, handle more, both in organizational structure and budget. When they speak, others listen.

The Ambitious Seven feel less a need for additional corps, even for most of the current DCI administrative structure. They can handle all of that themselves. You know. . .they're RIGHT! Management and promotional duties and responsibilities of this new group CAN be absorbed by their own existing organizations.

We would be naive to think the crowds, the sponsorship money, the talent, will not follow them in whatever they propose to do as a smaller group of decision-makers. They will. As others have stated, that's the nature of the beast. People pay plenty to see the Yankees, not so much to see the Pirates.

I have no problem with their concept of a "different" on-field presentation. I believe that's needed to compete for today's entertainment dollar. For me, at least, current shows ARE lacking in broad appeal. This is a world that responds to bells and whistles, glitz and glamor. The Ambitious Seven really can provide that, and they know it. They are a group that can offer more than any scholastic marching program ever can. Those groups, and MANY OTHERS (including me) will pay to see the "Haves."

As Dan Acheson correctly alluded, egoism pays a huge role in this discussion. That's been a constant in this activity. Now is no different. For me, it's the ego of the Ambitious Seven that WILL be satisfied. Satisfied with or without the blessing of others who participate in the current DCI.

Significant change is coming. This is not going away.

It can't.