Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

G7 Corps can base their success on a number of factors.

Most importantly they have found a financial formula to sustain their existence.

They have used this financial success to hire the best talent to design shows and teach their students.

They have politically aligned themselves with the adjudicators.

All these factors allow then to pick the best talent out there. They win. Kudos for a job well done.

So who attends drum corps shows these days.

Well I can speak from my experience at the Eastern Classic and Finals which I have attended for more consecutive years than I can remember.

Family members, not of 7 corps, but of 20 corps.

Baby boomers, like me, who hope to reminisce of the glories of past years. (There are a lot of us).

Past contestants, who marched in more corps than I can mention.

Some corps who are still around and some who are just memories.

Casual new fans.

It takes this complex demographic to fork out the money (not cheap) to fill the stands at regional’s and finals.

So my question to G7. Who is your audience?

My guess is a lot of the above mentioned will not be there.

Hope you have good endowments and generous donors.

As for me, DCA is looking better and better

by the skin of their teeth isn't the best fiscal policy. one of those 7 almost folded two years ago.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet JESUS that man posts 10 replies before my browser will refresh!!!

welcome to The Mr. Ream Show.

sorry. had a life today, just catching up.

"We cannot play Lady Gaga"

He's making a connection that doing THAT will make things relevant for fans?

And he claims to be an educator?

Yamaha wrote an article years ago that pop music was killing serious music and that educators had to put a stop to it by educating people about what Hop calls "Dead white people".

At least Dave Matthews composes thoughtful quality compositions that are well-constucted, but they're only 140 bpm? Whatever happened to arranging and looking at a musical piece from a fresh and different perspective, Hop? And well, Dave Matthews is at least a *living* white person. I'd think with sufficient imagination and quality arranging, you could create a quality show using his music. But what do I know? I do know I've thought of it, but I don't have the vehicle like Hop does have to create that reality.

And as for the tempo not being quick enough- who created the visual whiplash monster moves that seem to precllude the use of a lot of ballads and dense textured pieces? If you want to "innovate"- maybe find a new solution to get away from running at 208, or is that also impossible?

If I wanted to hear Lady Gaga, for Lord's sake (if I did, put me away) I can turn on my FM radio or stream it.

Has doing all the hip-hop made Florida A&M, Grambling, and Southern's bands really more "relevant" or "better"? No.

Maybe there are kids and people out there craving live music that don;t want pop pablum spattered in our faces like we get it all of the time as it is by the media.

Phantom Regiment has introduced Astor Piazolla, Ginastera, and Bernard Herrmann (to cite a few examples) to people who'd never heard it before, and have people complained that what they did is "not relevant!?"

The Cavies put Jack Stamp on the map. Were people griping that modern wind ensemble/living white composers aren't relevant?

And of course, the griping about 3k tuition and costs. Sounds like costs are spiraling out of control and instead of trying to hit the brakes on the spending- the solution is "Sauve-qui-Peut" and continue to ask for more money from people who are pretty stretched thanks to the ecomomy. I know I am.

Thanks for the link, Jeff. I can't believe what I read. It's like he's created a monster that's gonna consume him and it needs money to live, so give it more money or gve one of the other monsters money if you won't give mine any!

Just very disheartening to see how he's supposedly possessed of great vision and I'm not seeing very much imagination demonstrated in that blog.

Edited by BigW

by the skin of their teeth isn't the best fiscal policy. one of those 7 almost folded two years ago.

and more than a few of the other 16 are in better financial shape than some of the 7

I guess you don't get 127 thousand posts by being a slow typer.

or being here since the place went live

"We cannot play Lady Gaga"

He's making a connection that doing THAT will make things relevant for fans?

And he claims to be an educator?

Yamaha wrote an article years ago that pop music was killing serious music and that educators had to put a stop to it by educating people about what Hop calls "Dead white people".

At least Dave Matthews composes thoughtful quality compositions that are well-constucted, but they're only 140 bpm? Whatever happened to arranging and looking at a musical piece from a fresh and different perspective, Hop? And well, Dave Matthews is at least a *living* white person. I'd think with sufficient imagination and quality arranging, you could create a quality show using his music. But what do I know? I do know I've thought of it, but I don't have the vehicle like Hop does have to create that reality.

And as for the tempo not being quick enough- who created the visual whiplash monster moves that seem to precllude the use of a lot of ballads and dense textured pieces? If you want to "innovate"- maybe find a new solution to get away from running at 208, or is that also impossible?

If I wanted to hear Lady Gaga, for Lord's sake (if I did, put me away) I can turn on my FM radio or stream it.

Has doing all the hip-hop made Florida A&M, Grambling, and Southern's bands really more "relevant" or "better"? No.

Maybe there are kids and people out there craving live music that don;t want pop pablum spattered in our faces like we get it all of the time as it is by the media.

Phantom Regiment has introduced Astor Piazolla, Ginastera, and Bernard Herrmann (to cite a few examples) to people who'd never heard it before, and have people complained that what they did is "not relevant!?"

The Cavies put Jack Stamp on the map. Were people griping that modern wind ensemble/living white composers aren't relevant?

And of course, the griping about 3k tuition and costs. Sounds like costs are spiraling out of control and instead of trying to hit the brakes on the spending- the solution is "Sauve-qui-Peut" and continue to ask for more money from people who are pretty stretched thanks to the ecomomy. I know I am.

Thanks for the link, Jeff. I can't believe what I read. It's like he's created a monster that's gonna consume him and it needs money to live, so give it more money or gve one of the other monsters money if you won't give mine any!

Just very disheartening to see how he's supposedly possessed of great vision and I'm not seeing very much imagination demonstrated in that blog.

well stated points on the educational and design aspects.