Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Heh.

All I can say is "I told you so."

First the regional circuits were "too confining". That was the excuse for dismantling DCM in 2004. DCI was so much better to the Div 1's so they took their ball and left. Bye-bye non Div 1 corps in the Midwest.

Now DCI is too confining for the Magnificent 7.

What next? "Up with Drum Corps"?

Edited by Gold_Bond

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any hypothetical answers I have to your questions would be based on the past examples I already mentioned; the Rose Bowl shows, Tour of Champions and the Las Vegas show which were designed to not conflict with any other events. I would imagine a similar approach would be taken for future similar events, I don't think it will be anyone's intention to just kill off smaller shows. Then again, I'm trying to be optimistic about all of this.

Understand your meaning and thanks for the response (first one I''e gotten in about 6 times I've asked)

IOW, so far this is all 'happy crappy" <$ to Steve Kings "The Stand" long version> and nothing on specifics. Think having specifics would help us all to see what is really in the works, good or bad. Honestly I don't think the G7 folks have gone that far in working out events. If they had, the word would have probably leaked out long ago.

Right now we have only the history and credibility of the people involved. And to me, what went on with Dan A have caused me to very suspicous(sp!) of the whole thing. And Steve Vickers history over the decades would lead me to trust his word over anyone elses at this point (probably embarass him to read that). LOL, too bad I can't explain some of those reasons better.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No, (and I'm not going there), but (and this is the absolute truth) I am the chairperson/organizer of my hometown's Wizard of Oz Festival Parade. After that sketch a couple weeks ago, I thought it might be a neat idea to see if I could get Betty White as the parade's grand marshall, but I fear what parade-goers might shout at her as she goes past.

oh, i'm sure it'd just be a little dry humor...that's all! :P

There's NOTHING in the DCW article that implies the G7 getting paid for this service. Getting paid MORE for certain events, YES. There's nothing about the size of the pie...we don't know if it's getting bigger...you're assuming it's the same (Zero-sum game). Bad assumption.

Well, talk to the G7, then. If the DCI pie is getting bigger, why the sudden push for transformative change? And if there's more pie to be had outside of DCI, why don't they go where the pie is (outside of DCI)? Seems like they think the pie is getting smaller....

If the G7 get what they seek, will the bassoons and rackets and saxophones have to sit out when they play DCI sponsored shows? Or do they get to play...but only in the warm up period? How does each corps learn a 'G7' show (wide open instrumentation...) and also a 'DCI' show (no woodwinds...at least after the warm up period...)? Is there enough time in the day for all these masters to be served?

I, for one (ok...for many) doubt it. I think it's a Trojan Horse...a Straw Man...a...well, you know what I think it is. It's an excuse...and what did we learn (in drum corps, most probably...) about excuses?

Come on Bruckner - I would have thought you'd be with us on this! This reeks like a Nancy Pelosi/Harry Reid press release!

oh, i'm sure it'd just be a little dry humor...that's all! :P

I was referring to the "Wizard of ***" sketch.

I'm not about to read all this thread, and I only briefly glanced the articles. But I'm not really seeing how the super seven could increase revenues? I'm with the disbelievers. Basically a bad ideal. 7 corps? So 2 hour shows? The same 2 hour show at EVERY show? I wouldn't want to be a performer in that situation. It's fine in weekend only all age corps where you only see another corps once a month. But everyday for 60+ days...

I've been away from the computer so I don't have much to contribute to the recent discussion, but I just wanted to give props to audiodb for attempting to convey the gravity of this, even if it is currently "just a proposal".