Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

My question is this: If say the Madison Scouts, or Pioneer, or any of the other non-G7 corps win DCI in any given year, or begin to crack the top 5 consistently, will that corps then be included in the G7 replacing one of the current G7 corps? If so, then I for one would be willing to give this whole G7 concept a shot. If not, then it is obviously a not so veiled attempt by the current G7 to grab as much cash as they can before what they deem to be the inevitable end to the DCI activity before it merges with BOA and completely dilutes the money pool.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is this: If say the Madison Scouts, or Pioneer, or any of the other non-G7 corps win DCI in any given year, or begin to crack the top 5 consistently, will that corps then be included in the G7 replacing one of the current G7 corps? If so, then I for one would be willing to give this whole G7 concept a shot. If not, then it is obviously a not so veiled attempt by the current G7 to grab as much cash as they can before what they deem to be the inevitable end to the DCI activity before it merges with BOA and completely dilutes the money pool.

Change 'G7' to 'Top 12', doesn't that describe the birth of DCI?

Change 'G7' to 'Top 12', doesn't that describe the birth of DCI?
It sure does. However, any deserving corps can enter the top 12 in any given year. Can the same thing be said of the G7 or are those chosen corps etched in granite?

At the same time, if any of these original G7 corps fell back in the pack (significantly, like out of finals, and consistently, several seasons in a row) would they be removed from the G(n)? If the corps had to not field a show for a season, would they forfeit a spot in the G7?

Perhaps non-G7 corps should have the option to join if they meet certain criteria (but criteria set and judged by neutral parties, and/or all DCI member corps, not just the G7 themselves), similar to the evaluation that takes place to 'upgrade' an Open Class corps to World Class, and to approve brand new or returning corps as Open Class corps. Not saying the G7 would be a different class, just that they would have added benefits/exposure etc. for making the commitment to the extra-content shows and increased travel.

The additional shows, if scheduled the right way (I don't know exactly what the right way would be) can most definitely be beneficial for the activity. However, I do think that these non-conventional/extra content shows should be open to whatever corps are willing to make the added commitment without putting their conventional show appearances at risk, especially if these shows take place in or near non-G7 corps home towns.

Perhaps non-G7 corps should have the option to join if they meet certain criteria (but criteria set and judged by neutral parties, and/or all DCI member corps, not just the G7 themselves), similar to the evaluation that takes place to 'upgrade' an Open Class corps to World Class, and to approve brand new or returning corps as Open Class corps. Not saying the G7 would be a different class
Well of course that's EXACTLY what you are saying. If the criteria for becoming G7 is determined by anything other than competitive results, then they indeed would be in a separate class. Opening the G7 to competitive entry is the way to do this. If not, then the other members of DCI should show some cajones and let the G7 form their own circuit and see just how long they can sustain this. Seems to me that the G7 proposal is meant to give these few corps their own game while still reaping the benefits of the parent circuit. Edited by VOReason

The additional shows, if scheduled the right way (I don't know exactly what the right way would be) can most definitely be beneficial for the activity.
Really?? Let's see...I believe the proposal is to schedule exclusive G7 shows on Fridays and Sundays. If this is the case, how many folks do you think are coming out to support the "conventional" corps on Saturday? Yeah, it will most definitely be beneficial for the activity....the G7 activity.

Actually forget what I said about placement being a criteria, it should be based solely on a corps financial and educational capabilities to participate in these additional shows. If Pioneer or Troopers or even Open Class corps have the ability to travel to a "G7 show", and their designers and instructors feel the members can handle/benefit from learning music outside of their field show to fill their share of the extended program, then why not allow them to do so?

I think the initial exclusivity of the extra shows is partially protection of the other corps when no protection is needed. The other organizations know what they are capable of, and what show locations they can and can not fit into their schedule. Why not let all the corps work together to make every show as awesome as possible?

Alright, I changed my mind... What I think should happen: Add these non-judged shows, with "instant encore" and multi-corps performances, to the existing schedule as if they were any other show, and allow any corps that can fit it in their schedule to be a part of the lineup. All the corps would benefit, there would be savings on not having judges, and there would be even more entertainment than a typical judged show. And like I said all the corps would work together to put these shows on the schedule. Let the "top acts" host these events sure, that way they can get their additional funds just like they would for a home show, but if a non-G7 corps wants to host one of these events too, and it's within their means, let them. But for junior corps dead zones (nevada, oklahoma, kansas, montana?, hawaii...) it would make sense for one or more of the top corps to take initiative and set up and host one of these special shows there. Maybe these shows do replace some of the typical shows held throughout the country, but those shows become an extended format non-judged show, as opposed to splitting the audience by running two shows at the same time at a nearby location. Further, the savings of not having to pay judges could be added to the corps appearance pay across the board.

I guess what I'm saying is that this proposal should really just be stripped down to being about adding a different show format that happens once or twice a week throughout the summer, and that any corps that want to be a part of the extended-format is allowed. Forget the "super corps" and let there be the occasional "super show" where all the corps can shine. To me this is the part of the proposal that could most help the activity and increase exposure of the activity. Just get rid of all the junk that seems like (whether it really is or not) it's a selfish move.

Actually forget what I said about placement being a criteria, it should be based solely on a corps financial and educational capabilities to participate in these additional shows. If Pioneer or Troopers or even Open Class corps have the ability to travel to a "G7 show", and their designers and instructors feel the members can handle/benefit from learning music outside of their field show to fill their share of the extended program, then why not allow them to do so?

I think the initial exclusivity of the extra shows is partially protection of the other corps when no protection is needed. The other organizations know what they are capable of, and what show locations they can and can not fit into their schedule. Why not let all the corps work together to make every show as awesome as possible?

Alright, I changed my mind... What I think should happen: Add these non-judged shows, with "instant encore" and multi-corps performances, to the existing schedule as if they were any other show, and allow any corps that can fit it in their schedule to be a part of the lineup. All the corps would benefit, there would be savings on not having judges, and there would be even more entertainment than a typical judged show. And like I said all the corps would work together to put these shows on the schedule. Let the "top acts" host these events sure, that way they can get their additional funds just like they would for a home show, but if a non-G7 corps wants to host one of these events too, and it's within their means, let them. But for junior corps dead zones (nevada, oklahoma, kansas, montana?, hawaii...) it would make sense for one or more of the top corps to take initiative and set up and host one of these special shows there. Maybe these shows do replace some of the typical shows held throughout the country, but those shows become an extended format non-judged show, as opposed to splitting the audience by running two shows at the same time at a nearby location. Further, the savings of not having to pay judges could be added to the corps appearance pay across the board.

I guess what I'm saying is that this proposal should really just be stripped down to being about adding a different show format that happens once or twice a week throughout the summer, and that any corps that want to be a part of the extended-format is allowed. Forget the "super corps" and let there be the occasional "super show" where all the corps can shine. To me this is the part of the proposal that could most help the activity and increase exposure of the activity. Just get rid of all the junk that seems like (whether it really is or not) it's a selfish move.

What you've just described is basically what we have now....

Really?? Let's see...I believe the proposal is to schedule exclusive G7 shows on Fridays and Sundays. If this is the case, how many folks do you think are coming out to support the "conventional" corps on Saturday? Yeah, it will most definitely be beneficial for the activity....the G7 activity.

Seriously, why can't anyone comment about anything in what I post they find positive? I have continually tried to present my thoughts on elements of the proposal ideas I believe could actually be beneficial to the activity as a whole, but those parts are apparently glossed over in favor of targeting key words or phrases I happen to use.

I clearly said in the portion you quoted, "I don't know what exactly the right way would be." I'm presenting my ideas here in hopes for constructive feedback and discussion about what would make the positive elemnts of these new ideas work, not so that I can just get "no that's all wrong" again and again. If my ideas are not worth that, than just say so and I'll stop trying. Thanks.