The most underrated shows of the last decade

Agreed.

And this thread wouldn't be complete without a mention of Southwind's 2000 corps that placed 13th.

I love Blue Devils 2000 "Methods of Madness", but how can you possibly consider 3rd place underrated when you're up against two of the best shows in DCI history?

maybe he thinks it was actually on par or better than the other two.

I agree with everyone who mentioned SCV 2000 (The Age of Reverence). A very dissonant, poignant, and beautiful show that I only discovered by dumb luck.

BAC 2000 (Red) - very similar to SCV 2000, although not as underappreciated.

Mandarins 2001 (Festival of Music) - a D-II corps finishes 16th with an exciting and excellently executed musical book. I'm surprised more people don't talk about this show.

Madison 2003 (Gold, Green, and Red: The Music of Benoit Jutras) - If you're looking for a show of raw energy and entertainment, look no farther.

Cascades 2003 (Danzon) - Best mellophone line I've ever heard, hands down. For all of the talk of the Blue Stars' line this past year, I find it amazing that nobody's ever mentioned these guys.

Glassmen 2009 (The Journey of ONE) - Not only was this the show that broke their four-year 11th place streak, this show was well-designed and thought-provoking. The ballad, especially the cutoff at the end, is absolutely amazing.

Edited by rootofthechord

2000 Madison Scouts - "The Cossack Brotherhood"

I'm sorry, I LOVED this show. Not your standard Scouts, but a fun show (and the last four minutes are fantastic).

2000 Phantom Regiment - "The Masters of Mystique"

Okay, visually they were a disaster, but a lot of people seem to forget this 7th place corps finished 4th in both brass AND percussion (and 5th in music ensemble and music effect). A CD favorite.

2002 Blue Knights - "Fear and Trembling"

I'm still not convinced the Cascades were better. But so it goes. One of BK's BEST "dark" shows.

2003 Cadets - "Our Favorite Things"

I'll probably have to dodge assassination attempts after saying this, but here it goes: this is my favorite version of Malaguena ever. Even better than any of the Scouts' versions. Maybe they shouldn't have beaten BD, but they were only a few tenths behind on my scorecard, not 1.7.

2007 Blue Devils - "Winged Victory"

How can a championship winning show be underrated? Well, in my book, not enough people consider it in the discussions for "show of the decade." The Devils' best show of the decade, IMO.

2007 Phantom Regiment - "On Air"

Saw it live, still can't believe it was scored as low as it was. Should have been ahead of the Cavaliers, even with the Cavaliers' visual edge. Phantom's 2nd-best show of the decade in my book (behind 2008, but AHEAD of 2003).

2008 Santa Clara Vanguard - "3hree"

Not sure this show gets the difficulty credit it deserves. And inspired show design and performance. Top 5 for me in 2008. Third best SCV show of the decade (after 2004 and 2000).

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1

I would have to simply say, SCV in general. They get (at least here...) a lot of 'oh yeah, and SCV was good...' kind of stuff. But I believe their design is consistently cutting edge, with stand out designs in 2004(Scheherezade...), Three (forgot the year...) and last season's Bartok show...

SCV may suffer issues with performance...but I'm loving the designs nearly every year...

Edited by FHdork
  • Like 1

I also think the BD's Methods of Madness was one of the best musical programs they have ever put on the field. However, that show and all 2000 shows don't qualify here. This topic is most underrated shows of the last decade and 2000 was 11 seasons ago so this topic is only for shows from 2001 and later.

I agree with a lot of what I'm seeing here. I have to agree with the one who said SCV in general gets less credit because of their musical choices sometimes. That being said, I'd like to add 2010 Phantom to the list. I feel like they didn't do as well as they should have because their concept was more vague and subject to interpretation than some of the other shows. Musically, they had the strongest moments of the year in my opinion. It was just a beautifully written show from a musician's point of view, and it doesn't hurt that their percussion section was not human.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of what I'm seeing here. I have to agree with the one who said SCV in general gets less credit because of their musical choices sometimes. That being said, I'd like to add 2010 Phantom to the list. I feel like they didn't do as well as they should have because their concept was more vague and subject to interpretation than some of the other shows. Musically, they had the strongest moments of the year in my opinion. It was just a beautifully written show from a musician's point of view, and it doesn't hurt that their percussion section was not human.

Their score had nothing to do with how tangible or intangible the TOPIC of their show concept was. And they had one of the most EMOTIONAL music books this season.

• Like 2