Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I agree, but let's include David Gibbs there, too.

Too many times both have threatened to leave over the years to either perform in exhibition or create some other sort of stage show. It's been talked about since 2001 in some form or fashion.

Time to put up or shut up now.

Make no mistake, as it's written now . . . this proposal will fail in July.

Let's do some numbers:

-Pacific Crest and Academy will probably vote for it since not having BD/SCV/BDB/SCVC hurts their bottom line at their own shows. That's understandable for them to feel that way.

-Unless this proposal is rewritten in a lot of ways, I don't think the Cavaliers are going to vote for it.

-BK as a "maybe", since Mark Arnold seems to follow along with most of the BD/Cadets votes.

Figuring those things in, and assigning the Mandarins as a "maybe" vote since they may be in the same boat as Pac Crest and AA . . .

For:

Cadets

BD

Crown

SCV

Bluecoats

Phantom

Pac Crest

Academy

Mandarins?

BK?

Against:

Cavaliers

Madison

BAC

Pioneer

Spirit

Crossmen

Cascades

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Troopers

Teal Sound

Jersey Surf

It fails (10-12) in this scenario.

Question is: what happens after that? Will we see the G7 units stand by the "no action is not an option" phrase in 2011?

I think your current "guess" as to who votes how is pretty much how I would also gauge it at this point. However, just like we saw in the health care debate (Just using it as a reference do not start debating it here) I think we could see lots of "deal making" to get votes. Why do you think the Colt Cadets were included in this?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody believe mainstream America will ever embrace this activity? Unless you are the NFL, NBA, NASCAR or NCAA with major television contracts, there is no way to draws hoards of new fans to this activity and keep them. The NHL can barely get their games televised on a somewhat average cable channel. Major league Baseball is witnessing some of their worse ratings ever. Now I know of many passionate fans who follow drum corps or a particular corps for that matter. They are as loyal as any fan is of Nebraska football, KU basketball, or, well you get my point. But professional and college sports do a great job of keeping their fans for life ( despite all the trouble athletes get into). Now, for the G7 directors to believe this proposal will draw thousands upon thousands of new fans and keep them coming back year after year for their entire lives and at the same time turn off the loyal fans who have followed this activity for 20, 30, 40 years? Wow, all I can say is good luck! You start by insulting the very few loyal fans you have in place wih the hope for finding new fans ( which is okay), but not to replace them and start a new fan base all over. Last year, I sat next to a couple of old timers, one who marched in the 60's and 70's and he brought his buddy to a show for the first time. He tried to explain the difference between a drum corps show and a band show. I'll never forget the newbie's response. " Well if it looks like a band, and marches like a band and sounds like a band..."

I'm afraid that's what we are up against when we try to sell our sport to potential new customers outside of band kids who attend their local show.

And the corps members hated it....

So much discussion, why not throw a couple of pence in myself...

I think that the basic premise that the G7 is operating under is that the Tour of Champions concept in 2004 was very successful, and that format of show would continue to be successful in the context of the season. (This is simply part of my interpretation)

I did not get to see said Tour, but from all intents it WAS a great, entertaining show. I just don't know that it is the format would actually BE successful in the context of the season, and not as a "special added thing". There were several reasons that may have impacted the success of the ToC, to wit:

- you had the 6 remaining World Championship corps in attendance

- the ToC took place at the end of the season, where the corps were at their highest perfomance level

- the ToC took place in California, a location that had been starved for decades for quality late season shows

- California drum corps fans knew that the ToC was a "test run" for a west coast finals, and did what needed to be done (in terms of attendance) to essentially guarantee a finals in CA

I have many many other thoughts on this proposal, but I think that there is enough talk, so I will just leave this bit and bow out (and continue to watch)

Does anybody believe mainstream America will ever embrace this activity? Unless you are the NFL, NBA, NASCAR or NCAA with major television contracts, there is no way to draws hoards of new fans to this activity and keep them. The NHL can barely get their games televised on a somewhat average cable channel. Major league Baseball is witnessing some of their worse ratings ever. Now I know of many passionate fans who follow drum corps or a particular corps for that matter. They are as loyal as any fan is of Nebraska football, KU basketball, or, well you get my point. But professional and college sports do a great job of keeping their fans for life ( despite all the trouble athletes get into). Now, for the G7 directors to believe this proposal will draw thousands upon thousands of new fans and keep them coming back year after year for their entire lives and at the same time turn off the loyal fans who have followed this activity for 20, 30, 40 years? Wow, all I can say is good luck! You start by insulting the very few loyal fans you have in place wih the hope for finding new fans ( which is okay), but not to replace them and start a new fan base all over. Last year, I sat next to a couple of old timers, one who marched in the 60's and 70's and he brought his buddy to a show for the first time. He tried to explain the difference between a drum corps show and a band show. I'll never forget the newbie's response. " Well if it looks like a band, and marches like a band and sounds like a band..."

I'm afraid that's what we are up against when we try to sell our sport to potential new customers outside of band kids who attend their local show.

I agree completely.

But there is something in marching band that can draw people in. I've seen several consumer electronics stores use the showdown at the end of Drumline to draw people in. They'll play it on a big screen TV and crank the volume on the sound system. It's like moths to a flame and people will stand there and watch the entire showdown. Mainstream America likes something about marching band, but I'm not sure that we could ever attain the intensity of a choreographed scene from Hollywood.

I think your current "guess" as to who votes how is pretty much how I would also gauge it at this point. However, just like we saw in the health care debate (Just using it as a reference do not start debating it here) I think we could see lots of "deal making" to get votes. Why do you think the Colt Cadets were included in this?
Edited by Suviduvi

This is just insane...not supporting the smaller corps at all is just ########!

The Cadets recently received $20,000 because Hop was able to stay off the phone for 4 days.

How many corps that aren't in the Top 12 would be able to raise that same kind of $?

This proposal needs some work. I think it should have been presented in a way that doesn't alienate the lower-scoring corps, but there are A LOT of things I agree with. I'm not going to dissect it on this forum, but let's just say, I am 70% for it, 30% against it.

Look 2000Cadet,

There is no ####### way they are going to get rid of ANYTHING in their that doesn't alienate the lower corps.

NO

WAY

If you think the G7 aren't going to do anything possible for more $ and take it from everyone else, then you are wrong.

Look 2000Cadet,

There is no ####### way they are going to get rid of ANYTHING in their that doesn't alienate the lower corps.

NO

WAY

If you think the G7 aren't going to do anything possible for more $ and take it from everyone else, then you are wrong.

You need to calm down.

For:

Cadets

BD

Crown

SCV

Bluecoats

Phantom

Pac Crest

Academy

Mandarins?

BK?

Against:

Cavaliers

Madison

BAC

Pioneer

Spirit

Crossmen

Cascades

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Troopers

Teal Sound

Jersey Surf

It fails (10-12) in this scenario.

Question is: what happens after that? Will we see the G7 units stand by the "no action is not an option" phrase in 2011?

I'd put BK in the against column, since that's how they voted last time.