Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

how is it dead weight, when many of the G7 members come from these corps? You shed these corps, you shed future members who may not be exposed any other way.

talk about screwing yourself.

But Jeff, you're forgetting about the marching bands. They can grow the future generation of G7 members. And the best part, is the tax payers and band parents fund that education and while they're working on getting good enough, they can buy tickets to the G7 events and their souvenirs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just grandstanding as you have no proof that any change or group of changes are responsible for "the mess. Maybe some of them did -- maybe some them didn't. But in any case every single change was voted on by the entire membership. So that's where you need to lay the blame -- not on the G7.

ok Mike...if attendance is falling:

where are the fans amped pits brought in? we were told it would bring them.

where are the fans vocals brought it? we were told it would add them.

where are the fans synths brought in? we were told it would add them.

yet attendance is falling per these guys. Which makes sense, since many older fans are leaving every year....which many on here tll you is bunk.

there is no...repeat NO research that these changes were going to bring people in...but we were told they would...so we're left to believe them. We keep hearing attendance is growing...no we're told it isn't.

so which is it?

my hunch is yet again, #### rolled out with no research ( and in this proposals case, few details on anything other than who gets paid what and votes what), and then when their great ideas bomb, it's time to change things further.

maybe what it was wasn't broken. But they'll never admit that. Never. These guys can't admit failure, and now that failure is upon them, they refuse to learn the lessons of the past.

r the last 10 years...eh 12. which is 12 more than I gave to the top

That's great. I have no regrets to which corps I gave my donation, all I'm saying is that I can improve upon what I've done and I'm sure there are many others.

I have no idea who CorpsFan. and audiodb are, but I'm POSITIVE they are better informed than you or I based on what they've written and references they've made. I don't get that same impression from anyone that feels the proposal is meritorious.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people (maybe even audiodb and corpsfan) have said there elements that are worth exploring further. AFAIK no one on DCP has said we should adopt it as is. In fact even the G7 have said as much.

I tend to agree that the slides paint a picture of crisis but don't really support it with many arguments. OTOH the arguments may have been in the presentation itself and not on a slide.

yet we have Boo saying Dan said 09 was a good year. go figure

Elect this man to the BD BOD.....today! :tongue:

And wait for that person from BD to send your band parents a request to give Timmy Smith, Flautist at BD from your High School monetary assistance to pay his way.

Yes, the other points are part of a bigger picture- but they will need to do this once everyone else is wiped out.

They may not be great at putting together a PowerPoint presentation, but they sure are pretty good at putting out shows that keep people coming back. :tongue:

So much to work out, so little time.

except according to them, attendance is falling.

oops

t

But Open Class corps and non-G7 corps are performing their mission, and the assertion of the G7 is that those groups DON'T sell tickets. And the G7 groups are performing their mission right now without demanding additional show revenue!! When you look at some of the things these groups spend money on, you have to wonder why they feel the need to reduce the number of corps in DCI to make ends meet...

What further debases yours and other's argument is pre-proposal it was "well let's just see the details, surely those corps directors wouldn't propose something that would hurt the smaller groups so much", but now that you can blatantly read that they did propose something like that, the crux of the argument is "well, those groups just don't attract enough fans, so they should be gone from DCI." Shifting your viewpoint as facts come to light does not give you credibility.

And before you say that I'm automatically anti-Hopkins/G7/what-have-you, you can ask people like audiodb and Jeff Ream about my previous pro-DCI and pro-decisions made by the board of directors discussions. I could defend those decisions because I thought they were not harmful to the activity. This one is decidedly so, and I don't understand how anyone can not see that.

and yet, in the hyperbole of the proposal, the activity is dying...so how many of their changes were really that good?

Drum corps belongs to the marchers and the people who pay to watch them. Not to DCI. Not to the directors of the DCI corps. And certainly not to a cabal within DCI.

There are always going to be less profitable corps within DCI. Or any organization following from DCI. The test of leadership is that they do their best to keep the activity going. Not the individual corps.

The Corps ARE what comprises DCI.

I also understand the responsibilities of these directors to their organizations, in ensuring they continue.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Any plan for the future should adequately address the future and sustainability of the activity, not attempt to simply cement the top tier position of a few Corps above everyone else in the activity into perpetuity, while at the same time destroying the circuit that serves half of the currently active Drum & Bugle Corps in existence (Open Class).

Maybe it's time we all go back to the founding documents and take a look. A few things like brotherhood, and other simply .... ridiculous ideals .... like ...... Supporting, growing and sustaining the activity.

I'd rather be in an organization that focuses primarily on serving their kids, building them into leaders, and giving them great experiences, than one that concerns itself primarily with how they can leverage the kids to make the most profits, thereby ensuring they stay at the top of the game.

Edited by Canadacorps